U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-03-2013, 06:20 PM

4,800 posts, read 4,845,678 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pnwretired View Post
I live in the Seattle area now. Have been here since 1983. San Diego native. Loved it until this year. The rain does not bother me as much as the gloom. Day in and day out. Someone mentioned bike riding trails - yea when it isn't raining. It isn't cheap either. Sales tax in our area is 9.8%. Gasoline tax is high - I think we are one of the highest. There is no state income tax but I don't have a problem paying state income tax if it helps the state. There is one highway that goes north and south - Hwy 5. It can get very congested - no joke - since it is the only one that gets people from north to south. It is beautiful though with the mountain ranges and puget sound, lake washington etc. But.......... One just has to weight what is important. We are hoping to leave here when hubby retires. Going to try Florida for awhile giving us an opportunity to visit the eastern part of the country and see places we have not been. Then if we don't like it we will head West - checking out other areas.

Still the same old Seattle? People there don't tan they rust?

Old 02-03-2013, 08:12 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
22,548 posts, read 39,934,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mzfroggez View Post
Very good! I knew i was close to the quote - ...The PLACE is................................................ Upstate South Carolina
city of Anderson to be precise!

...2. Don't give up!
;;;A weight has been lifted from my shoulders.
more details to follow
Oh, so EXCITING and what a GREAT choice. I Did the Greenville visit and loop through Knox, Chat, Atlanta This fall. REALLY liked Anderson and found a great antique shop nearby (now I know who can fetch and store my treasures that "don't fly free" on SWA.) One item was MUCH too big so I left it there, it was a superb carved wooden '3 panel folding screen'. (dressing room).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Umbria View Post
... finally make a decision and just go for it and be able to declare it "done". I'm going to take your suggestion on the negotiating, which is something I'm not real good at.

... I question whether CO is really where I want to go. I love it there, or did, but things there have changed a great deal (prices have gone nuts + too many people have moved in). I don't want to base today's decision on a decison I made nearly 15 years ago....!
Go for CO this yr, if you don't like it, I'll buy it off you (if you buy a Senior "accessible" duplex in Loveland or Ft Collins). I have not had time to buy there YET, but hope to this spring. If I buy a place, you can come try it out. I won't need it for a few yrs. I have too many 'projects to complete' on other 3 locations. But I WILL have one in CO (again) eventually. (if I live through the yr...)

Lesson... If you have a beautiful home on a park with double lot, a view of the Mtns, in a (really) NICE town... (and you have to move away) figure out how to KEEP IT. (chances are slim you will be able to replace it at 35 yrs later in age). But I can't ... I have a roof and been very blessed with nice places in the interim.

Quote:
Originally Posted by golfingduo View Post
Still the same old Seattle? People there don't tan they rust?
Ha, the NEW Seattle includes COFFEE STAINS + rust (more often it's MOLD).
It is kinda hilarious to see LINES of shivering (wet) Seattle folks silently standing in line (Seattle 'FREEZE") with hands wrapped around their precious coffee cups. I had a kid there till yesterday... bought a one-way ticket to NZ. Poof - gone. (That's my kid... wanderlust....) I just arrived back from Singapore 3 hrs ago. but will spend a few weeks in San Diego, then TX home before darkening the door of my PNW abode. (temp job is allowing me to be AWOL for FREE) I will need to be back in PNW to fight a property tax protest in Olympia (State appeal) _ I need to PAY my protested property taxes by 30 April ($7,200 for 6 months).

Old 02-03-2013, 08:33 PM

4,800 posts, read 4,845,678 times
I spent 2 and a half years at Ft Lewis WA at the end of the 70s and left right before Mt St Helens blew. I loved it there but had family here in the east so when I got out of active duty army and settled it was Massachusetts that fit the bill.

Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthRabbit View Post
Oh, so EXCITING and what a GREAT choice. I Did the Greenville visit and loop through Knox, Chat, Atlanta This fall. REALLY liked Anderson and found a great antique shop nearby (now I know who can fetch and store my treasures that "don't fly free" on SWA.) One item was MUCH too big so I left it there, it was a superb carved wooden '3 panel folding screen'. (dressing room).

Go for CO this yr, if you don't like it, I'll buy it off you (if you buy a Senior "accessible" duplex in Loveland or Ft Collins). I have not had time to buy there YET, but hope to this spring. If I buy a place, you can come try it out. I won't need it for a few yrs. I have too many 'projects to complete' on other 3 locations. But I WILL have one in CO (again) eventually. (if I live through the yr...)

Lesson... If you have a beautiful home on a park with double lot, a view of the Mtns, in a (really) NICE town... (and you have to move away) figure out how to KEEP IT. (chances are slim you will be able to replace it at 35 yrs later in age). But I can't ... I have a roof and been very blessed with nice places in the interim.

Ha, the NEW Seattle includes COFFEE STAINS + rust (more often it's MOLD).
It is kinda hilarious to see LINES of shivering (wet) Seattle folks silently standing in line (Seattle 'FREEZE") with hands wrapped around their precious coffee cups. I had a kid there till yesterday... bought a one-way ticket to NZ. Poof - gone. (That's my kid... wanderlust....) I just arrived back from Singapore 3 hrs ago. but will spend a few weeks in San Diego, then TX home before darkening the door of my PNW abode. (temp job is allowing me to be AWOL for FREE) I will need to be back in PNW to fight a property tax protest in Olympia (State appeal) _ I need to PAY my protested property taxes by 30 April ($7,200 for 6 months).

Old 02-03-2013, 09:16 PM

277 posts, read 298,268 times
Quote:
I had a kid there till yesterday... bought a one-way ticket to NZ. Poof - gone. (That's my kid... wanderlust....)
Gee, I wonder where that came from?

Old 02-03-2013, 10:12 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
22,548 posts, read 39,934,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mastequila View Post
Gee, I wonder where that came from?
Surely from the Better Half (ALWAYS the OTHER half)

As long as I get to go Visit NZ (haven't yet). First stop for him is Cook Islands... That has been on my bucket list for 20 yrs... Having lived my retirement 'vicariously' through my teenagers / kids... guess the same will be true in travel. (this kid did Iceland, Germany, Austria, Ireland all this yr on DISCOUNT websites... VERY VERY cheap)

Travelzoo

Frugal traveler...

Could be the 'last trip', since the kid didn't bother to tell the boss till friday... "Hey, I'm gonna be gone for a yr..." Had an EXCELLENT job (which I would have 'died' for, but... time to travel! - outta here)... He just finished 4 yrs of very difficult tests for a certification and charter, next plan... ??? Grad school in Switzerland is on his bucket list. We lived there when he was a kid, I will go visit there as WELL! (in a hearbeat, especially at Christmas.... it's magical, as is Bavaria / Nuremburg)

Old 02-04-2013, 02:58 PM

25 posts, read 26,836 times
Default I moved!

Eight years ago I was faced with a desperate economy in Michigan and my business was going downhill fast. I also had gone through a string of major personal losses and was ready for a change of scene. I sold approx. 70% of my personal belongings, bought a single wide trailer in a retirement park in NC (I was the youngest in the park--50) and began working in a Starbucks kiosk.

I have never regretted the move despite the daily struggles. I have now been in my new community for 8 years and have learned much about starting over in a totally strange place with no natural supports. I have also traveled solo to other countries and states on the cheap.

When I ran across this forum, I was pleasantly surprised to find women thinking about making a residential change. Boy, what I could tell you! However, I have learned so much, it would take too long to share.

I am starting a blog and informational website especially for older single women who have little to no retirement savings. It will provide information/inspiration to help them make the best decisions they can, reveal 'potholes' I have fallen in and teach others how to avoid them, best ways to save money, places to consider for a change of residence, what type of residence is the best fit for them, etc.

If you are interested in checking out my site, just email me and I will send you a link.

I have put this website on my favorites list and will try to come back as often as possible to answer any questions anyone may have about facing a 'radical retirement.'

Good luck to everyone!

Tondra

Old 02-05-2013, 09:30 AM

6,954 posts, read 7,390,876 times
Quote:

I almost missed this~~

Well, ole moneybags - how are you going to keep up with all these properties around the globe?

I appeciate the offer - I guess we'll just have to stay tuned for what I decide to do. I suspect it will be CO.

Old 02-05-2013, 12:05 PM

16,042 posts, read 18,971,705 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mzfroggez View Post
Very good! I knew i was close to the quote - (damn rebels indeed.....it's them durn yankees and thur federalist ways )

the other that is a personal favorite is about North Carolina being a valley of humility between two mountains of conceit. They knew how to throw gracious stones in those days.

I meant to get back faster but in a whirlwind of activity here figuring how to pull this all off.
The PLACE is................................................ Upstate South Carolina
city of Anderson to be precise!

Contract modifications were accepted - house inspection does need to take place so that's the final hurdle ( and if I can just dig up the pre-requisite cash from under the floorboards and bring my change purse to the closing)

The lesson in all of this is
1. Don't settle!
2. Don't give up!
3. Don't be afraid to ask for what you want/need! Even if you get turned down 100 times - ask 101!
4. When you get the answer you want but it has caveats, don't be afraid to push the boundary even more. I just negotiated - I took chances. I haven't done that in a very long while.
5. Put yourself first. The oxygen mask rule is dead on.

A weight has been lifted from my shoulders.
more details to follow
Congrats, MZ! Wonderful area. I had traveled to that area a few summers ago, around Spartanburg, Landrum, Travelers Rest, etc. If it weren't for the summer heat it would have suited me just fine. What drew you there (amenities) and did you buy a house or a condo? How far is Clemson U?

And...when do you move??

Old 02-05-2013, 12:13 PM

16,042 posts, read 18,971,705 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Umbria View Post
It must feel just wonderful to finally make a decision and just go for it and be able to declare it "done". I'm going to take your suggestion on the negotiating, which is something I'm not real good at.

Do you think NC is more humid than SC? As I mentioned, I question whether CO is really where I wan't to go. I love it there, or did, but things there have changed a great deal (prices have gone nuts + too many people have moved in). I don't want to base today's decision on a decison I made nearly 15 years ago.

Congrats on your new home and I eagerly await to hear how this all turns out Wish you lots of happiness in your new abode!
So, Umbria.... (foot tapping)....when are you putting the house up and making that move? You've been wanting to do it for years! I have never been to CO, but having lived in MO twice I can tell you it is forever landlocked. NC and SC on the other hand have an access to the sea () I seriously considered NC (Cary-Raleigh area), which I liked but for the summer heat and same for the Greenville area of SC. I was ardently seeking a nicer winter but not at all sure I could trade for those kinds of summers. That said, I am a tad older now, and heat may be a welcome thing! I love the name of the town "Travelers Rest" and I very much liked the little town called "Landrum." I am a townie at heart even though I love big-city culture Make a visit! (be sure to go in July or Aug )

Old 02-05-2013, 12:41 PM

4,572 posts, read 7,057,201 times
Just curious...how many times did you visit Anderson, SC area and did you visit in the summer (July-August). If so, what was your reaction to the heat/humidity, or do you think you would get used to it, or it just didn't effect you all that much.

I see lots of folks considering the SE (including myself) but for that intense heat of summer. I've read lots of posts in the NC thread mostly, some people "adjust" but it still seriously effects them, and others end up moving because they just can't tolerate that kind of heat for such a long period of time. And there are some who adapt because they hated the cold weather so much so it was a worthwhile trade off for them.

I'm not trying to be a wet blanket because I know how much work it is to finally find the right place...but just curious on your thoughts about the long summer heat that you will encounter. It just never made much sense to me to have to stay in A/C for like 4-5 months when the whole point is to be outside and enjoying things in the summertime. Any feedback you can give would be greatly appreciated!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement