Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-22-2013, 07:05 PM

2,410 posts, read 5,820,372 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tondra View Post
Glad to hear you wish a heads up for my website. Just send me a quick message as I am keeping messages in my inbox of people who want an invite.

Feel free to ask me any questions you may have.

Tondra

P.S Still learning how this forum works. Was trying to send xz2y and Mzfroggez a personal msg, but y'all are invited to join the list.
Thank you! I'll PM you too!

Old 03-24-2013, 03:13 PM

25 posts, read 31,032 times
Thanks everyone for their interest. I will email as soon as the website is ready. Right now....waiting still for my laptop replacement. Gads!

Old 03-24-2013, 03:34 PM

2,790 posts, read 6,128,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tondra View Post
Thanks everyone for their interest. I will email as soon as the website is ready. Right now....waiting still for my laptop replacement. Gads!
I would be interested too, please!

Old 03-25-2013, 12:56 AM

205 posts, read 397,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mzfroggez View Post
To all of you sweet bearers of kindness, comfort and wisdom...........
Thank you from the bottom of my heart. I really did not mean to spill all of that out in the manner I did but you were all very kind in spite of the public purging. It all seemed to reach a peak and I probably said more things in that 24 hours when i did speak than I have said in a long time. Was actually a rather cathartic thing.....

But I didn't mean to hijack the thread so , please, all go on to discussing everything about retiring and all - I'll be back here shortly with some updates on the house situation and plans . Want to send some direct messages out so that I don't turn this, our wonderful quest thread here, into my seriously terrible very bad no good week(s) .

The house truly may be a dream I may have to let go because of the timing of everything else happening. and maybe that is a bit of divine intervention.

there is a song called "second chance" that is all about goodbyes and stepping out and while i was pretty weepy this weekend with knowing everyone was gathering together and here I sat totally isolated from it all and the one line of the song hit me like a ton of bricks " I just saw Haley's Comet , she said 'why you always running in place;even the man in the moon disappears, somewhere in the stratosphere'" - my grandaughter is named Haley & silly as it sounds, it honestly was as if she had paused as she headed out & really asked me that. There was a connection & a little six year old who now has an eternal perspective on life may have touched her baboo after all . I am going to take care of myself - not make any rash decisions and if the timing on what seemed terribly important gets trashed, then that is quite ok.

Love you guys and I'll be back shortly - no more fussing over me , you wonderful gaggle of girlfriends, you mob of kindred spirits. (i love the names for various animal groups) .....updates to come . Ok, segue back to women retiring alone to a new city/state
Have so wanted to send my condolences but have truly been at a loss for words. What does one say in circumstances as these? Have come to know that your and my paths have crossed so much over the years via Richmond/VCU/Fan District and NC it's amazing we haven't met. I feel so unbelievably sad for you and your family - and some degree of guilt......I learned of your sadness as I was getting ready to post my happiness. I will talk about this at another time. Those I have come to know more personally will understand. I hope in time your pain will lessen and life will finally bring you the peace you so well deserve.

Old 03-25-2013, 03:01 AM

977 posts, read 1,109,517 times
mzfroggez,
I haven't been on here in a while....was so sad to learn of your heartache. please accept my condolences.

Moving, buying, selling....all can be difficult in so many ways, but your loss has only added to the stress involved in making a move alone. i hope all turns out well for you in your choice of a home.

i have been trying to find a way to move again and after much prayer was convinced I'd found a great place. But my home equity loan (which i was assured would go thru easily) turned up $40,000 short, the condo was taken off market night before I made offer, then after anquish and second thoughts, discovered it went on auction and was sold the prior day! A week later was back on market as offer declined, then my loan declined and now here i am, doubting the wisdom of even trying......perhaps I am meant to stay here a while longer.

It has become more difficult in this real estate market to do anything without cash in hand, and for me it's just as risky to sell first then find a place.I am confused and disheartened. It is hard being a woman alone making a move.

Old 03-25-2013, 01:52 PM

5,139 posts, read 8,848,721 times
yes,I agree totally it is very hard to make a move being a woman alone. A friend of a friend of mine left here about 9 months ago to get away from her daughter and lots of problems, sold her home which was under water, went back to where she was happy once years ago ...and is now back here because she missed her daughter too much. Not sure if there's a lesson in all that or not, maybe family trumps everything...these moves are tough!

Old 03-25-2013, 02:47 PM

32 posts, read 57,223 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by loveautumn View Post
yes,I agree totally it is very hard to make a move being a woman alone. A friend of a friend of mine left here about 9 months ago to get away from her daughter and lots of problems, sold her home which was under water, went back to where she was happy once years ago ...and is now back here because she missed her daughter too much. Not sure if there's a lesson in all that or not, maybe family trumps everything...these moves are tough!
Sometimes we need to get away from family for awhile in order to realize how much we appreciate family.

Old 04-01-2013, 01:20 AM

205 posts, read 397,189 times
Well, I am finally able to make my announcement. As most you probably know, my two grown children (35 and 40) had made it known years ago that they did want kids. Accepted the fact being a grandmother was not in the cards for me. No problem. Then last year my daughter (35) decided she and her husband did want one child. She became pregnant almost instantly. In the mean time her husband's job took him to South Australia where they both moved to Adelaide in February. Which where life has taken me on this crazy journey called life. I arrived here on Wednesday, March 27 at 2:00 p.m. My granddaughter was born at 2:01 p.m. that very day! So I am now a grandmother (Grammy) and in Adelaide, Australia until the end of April. I am hoping they will only be here for two years, tops. Who knows will life will take me next? My son lives in Oakland, CA so spent time with him before going down under and will do so again on the way back home. Decisions to make on where to live - looking at going west. Truly in the land of Oz. As Dorothy said, were not in Kansas anymore!

Old 04-01-2013, 04:25 AM

109 posts, read 91,016 times
congratulations to you karcon. My husband's birthday is March 27. We are leaving this Thursday to go see our grand daughter for the first time.

Hope all goes well for you and yours, enjoy that grand baby.

Safe journeys to all.

Old 04-02-2013, 12:53 AM

977 posts, read 1,109,517 times
Congratulations, Karcon! What is your grandaughter's name? (if you're comfortable with sharing that) I have 2 sons and have had a lot of fun with the delight of having grandaughters...although my grandson sure holds a special place in my heart, too. Just wish I could see them more...it's usually once a year. Have fun in Oz!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement