U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-07-2008, 10:54 PM

Location: Monterey Bay, California -- watching the sea lions, whales and otters! :D
1,914 posts, read 6,238,329 times

Advertisements

Don't worry, Nancy -- it'll work out somehow. I know I have to get out of here and into a regular town -- I'm even thinking of selling and renting for awhile (and still work) to save up some money.

Visualize good things! (Not always easy....but....we need to!)

By Spring, we will hopefully be renewed and ready to go!

Old 10-08-2008, 01:21 AM

6,954 posts, read 7,387,939 times
Always with an encouraging word - nice to have you back. Is your house on the market yet? Have you had any interests? Hope it sells quickly for you - from what I have been hearing/reading, it sounds like the sooner you can sell, the better. The PLAN - to "correct" housing prices, which means lower them to get them more in line with what "someone?" feels they should be. One more shot at retirees - another investment under attack. Can not believe this mess. I have my most recent IRA statement on my table - 2 days now - I can not open it. I don't think I have ever felt so helpless - no control over my own future. Bummer time is over!!!!! Tomorrow the sun will be out and I get to paint the front door (ick!!)

Old 10-08-2008, 12:11 PM

Location: Monterey Bay, California -- watching the sea lions, whales and otters! :D
MN2CO -- no, my house isn't on the market yet. I am going to see in the Spring if it's worth to list it or not. I'm kind of resigned to being here longer, if need be. Maybe I'll have to get a roommate.... We'll have to see how it all plays out.

Well, anyone looking to live in California and doesn't mind sharing a small home with a 60-year-old woman??

With all the crying this country's doing........we could solve our energy crisis right now: hyrdroelectric plants!!!

Old 10-08-2008, 11:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wisteria View Post

Well, anyone looking to live in California and doesn't mind sharing a small home with a 60-year-old woman??

With all the crying this country's doing........we could solve our energy crisis right now: hyrdroelectric plants!!!
VOTE FOR WISTERIA FOR PRESIDENT!!!!!!!!!!!! Sounds like an excellent use of "natural" and abundant resources.

Hang on to that job - do you still teach art? You should be fine - roomate?????????????????????? Great source for income but OY!!!!!!!!

Old 10-09-2008, 04:48 PM

Location: In the North Idaho woods, still surrounded by terriers
2,178 posts, read 6,287,895 times
Default I have a plan!!!!!

How about all of us retired or soon-to-be retired ladies get together and buy a big cruise ship and just all live on it and cruise around partying and laying in the sun? Seems most of us are not real sure where to live, we all have different ideas and hopes and plans but few of us are solid in that way...so...commune time!

Old 10-09-2008, 04:59 PM

Quote:
esselcue: I have a plan!!!!!

How about all of us retired or soon-to-be retired ladies get together and buy a big cruise ship and just all live on it and cruise around partying and laying in the sun? Seems most of us are not real sure where to live, we all have different ideas and hopes and plans but few of us are solid in that way...so...commune time!
Yes, we do have to think outside the box -- or on the ship -- or whatever. BUT....WHO is going to steer the ship???

Old 10-09-2008, 06:16 PM

8,235 posts, read 18,505,219 times
How about all of us retired or soon-to-be retired ladies get together and buy a big cruise ship and just all live on it and cruise around partying and laying in the sun?

Sounds good to me ....

People may not recall what you said to them, but they will always remember how you made them feel .

Old 10-09-2008, 06:39 PM

Wish I hadn't ever seen the movie "Perfect Storm" - yikes . Sounds like a good idea, though. I've guided speed boats & pontoons on the Mississippi, but the ocean is an entirely different skill. Perhaps we can entice a couple ole captains with sailing experience. That could be our means for employment - provide rides to & fro (where?)

Old 10-09-2008, 07:48 PM

I heard there are actually slips available in Santa Cruz harbor for the first time in years (only about $500/month). Should we go in on a boat together?! Maybe day-long events for women (especially rich women, unlike me!) -- make it something people REALLY WANT to try -- special -- lots of unusual "hooks." Could be lots of fun!! (At least I don't get sea sick!)

I've steered large motor boats before (small house boats), and they're easy. Can't put a cruise ship in Santa Cruz, but something a bit smaller -- you're right -- a nice tour business! Of course, I don't think you can go too far with a smaller boat on the ocean, though....hmmmm, have to figure it out. Maybe a larger boat on the Great Lakes -- in the summer, of course!

Let's think about it though -- anyone really want to try to get a slip in Santa Cruz?? Something super unique -- only I think you have to have a boat before you get that slip!! This is a gorgeous area, ladies -- think about it -- live in California, near the ocean and run a spectacularly popular and sought-after water lifestyle event business!! Whoa! Hey, I'm getting excited about this idea!! Then the money from the boat goes into a bed and breakfast on the beach! We're on a roll! Thanks for the ideas, esselcue and MN2CO!!

Old 10-09-2008, 09:11 PM

I have to tell you - this sounds wonderful!!!!!!!!!!! I am an ocean lover - I thought I was going to retire in Florida - on the coast - in an old fishing village (they don't exist anymore). Now, we'd have to all take lessons and get licensed/certified - whatever. You don't get the whooper storms there, do you? We'd serve wonderful lunches or dinners?????? Better keep it simple
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement