Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-12-2013, 01:11 PM

2,790 posts, read 6,128,017 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by absiesmom View Post
Everyone--I'd like to see fireflies as I did in childhood. I didn't see any of them in New England. To me, they were always stars that I could actually catch. I'm looking forward to seeing them again way farther south.
We don't have fireflies in south Florida.....I remember them in Indiana.

Old 04-13-2013, 09:23 AM

30,525 posts, read 16,217,604 times
we've got them in PA!

I used to work 2nd shift. Sometimes after work, I'd sit outside and watch them.

very relaxing.

Old 04-13-2013, 10:38 AM

2,019 posts, read 3,194,333 times
Lots of fireflies here in Iowa ... magical times for my kids (and me) when they were young.

Old 04-13-2013, 03:32 PM

7 posts, read 18,187 times
Default Woman retiring alone

Hello all you wonderful women. I've just read this whole thread from start to finish! I am amazed is all I can say. I wish I would have found it sooner. I thought I was alone. I am so undecided as to where I will go. I have always dreamed of retiring in the Venice, Sarasota area. I have always loved the ocean and sun. That part of Fl is so beautiful.

But my sister wants me to think about Pensacola because it is only 3 1/2 hours from her in Alabama. I have lived in Pa for the last 45 years and I am tired of the months of dreary cold, snow and ice!

I have a son and two little grandsons in Pa. Its hard to think I wont be able to see them when ever I want. But I have to do whats best for me too. I just don't want to live there in my retirement. I want to live somewhere I can be more active. So this is where I am so many things to think about. I don't want to make the wrong decision and be sorry.

Thanks for letting me be part of this wonderful adventure

Old 04-14-2013, 11:58 AM

3 posts, read 11,951 times
I knew when I retired in Central Florida that I did not want to be an "old" lady in any big city! Had vacationed in Kanab UT and fell in love with location, climate, people (about 5k), town, weather, etc. Put down payment on home and when I retired moved out. Love it here - wild horses couldn't get me to live anywhere else. Small towns mean no waiting in line, little red tape, and people are pleasant because life in a small town is a lot less hectic and stressful than in a big city. Watching weather patterns across the US, we have a pretty ideal climate here with winters not too cold, summers not too hot and yet we have all 4 seasons. Winter snow is gorgeous and maybe occurs 3-4 times with a few inches depth, but generally melts before noon the next day or at "worst" lasts 2-3 days. Have hospital, vet, libarary, gym, stores, schools, annual tourist/local/athletic events and proximity to Natl Parks, ranches/farms, etc.

Old 04-14-2013, 12:16 PM

3 posts, read 11,951 times
Am told by avid astronomers who retired to live here in Kanab, Utah, that this is the best place in US for stargazing. There is an astronomy club here you might like to get in contact with as they could give you detailed info. I retired from work in Florida and moved here - not into astronomy, but sure like to go out my back door at 3am to see the incredible night sky like I have never seen anywhere before in my life. Check out Bryce Canyon at [url=http://www.nps.gov/brca/planyourvisit/astronomyprograms.htm]Astronomy & Night Sky Programs - Bryce Canyon National Park[/url]

Old 04-14-2013, 01:16 PM

5,328 posts, read 6,018,590 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KanabResident View Post
Am told by avid astronomers who retired to live here in Kanab, Utah, that this is the best place in US for stargazing. There is an astronomy club here you might like to get in contact with as they could give you detailed info. I retired from work in Florida and moved here - not into astronomy, but sure like to go out my back door at 3am to see the incredible night sky like I have never seen anywhere before in my life. Check out Bryce Canyon at Astronomy & Night Sky Programs - Bryce Canyon National Park
Cool. Oops, showing my age I will check it out.

Old 04-14-2013, 01:25 PM

7,572 posts, read 9,019,188 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KanabResident View Post
Am told by avid astronomers who retired to live here in Kanab, Utah, that this is the best place in US for stargazing. There is an astronomy club here you might like to get in contact with as they could give you detailed info. I retired from work in Florida and moved here - not into astronomy, but sure like to go out my back door at 3am to see the incredible night sky like I have never seen anywhere before in my life. Check out Bryce Canyon at Astronomy & Night Sky Programs - Bryce Canyon National Park
Did you end up in Kanab because of the Best Friends Sanctuary?

Old 04-15-2013, 11:58 PM

205 posts, read 397,189 times
My last day in Adelaide, South Australia. It has been a glorious visit. After staying with my son in Oakland, CA, left San Francisco on 3/25 to travel to Sydney then Adelaide. Arrived in Adelaide on 3/27 at 3p.m. My granddaughter Finn (Finnhamn McClure (McClure is her mother's middle name), was born at 2p.m Talk about timing! Don't want to leave but $$$ dictates. Will go back to San Fran and stay with my son until Saturday then fly back home to Florida. Lot of thinking to do. Have been with family for a month. With no family in FL, and friends have either moved away or passed away, it is time to decide on my leaving as well. Nothing for me there any more. And daughter and family will probably be returning to the States in 2 years and live in the San Francisco area. Really want to be closer to family. So important. Also need to start planning my next Aussie visit! Wonder if we will ever find the answers to all of life's constantly changing questions?

Last edited by karcon; 04-15-2013 at 11:59 PM.. Reason: Spelling correction

Old 04-16-2013, 04:15 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,712 posts, read 58,042,598 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by karcon View Post
My last day in Adelaide, South Australia. It has been a glorious visit. ... And daughter and family will probably be returning to the States in 2 years and live in the San Francisco area. Really want to be closer to family. ..Wonder if we will ever find the answers to all of life's constantly changing questions?
Look up our founder, Wisteria, she might be ready to give up her place in Santa Cruz (beautiful this time of yr).

I am enjoying Spring in Asia (Singapore at the moment, Thailand in a couple weeks). I will need to get home in June to feed the dog and MOW the grass. (Farm dog, never penned or leashed, He's happy to watch over the place while I'm gone.)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.