U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-19-2013, 05:25 AM

6,125 posts, read 9,088,474 times

Advertisements

Staywarm: I know about Carolina Lakes and did drive through both Ft Mill and Rock Hill. Not crazy about Del Webb homes which are small, no fences, big HOA fees and alot of activities (bocce ball ) I wouldn't be using. For me a small house with a yard for gardening and my two dogs is a better deal, but thanks for the advice.

Old 04-19-2013, 09:31 PM

27 posts, read 34,884 times
staywarm2, Thanks for the thoughts! I was scoping out Carolina Lakes back when I was married and dogless. Now I think I'd be happier someplace with fewer rules. I have the dog, who loves to run in a fenced yard, I have a pet turtle who I like to build a nice outdoor enclosure for in the winter, and I like to garden. Organized activities are OK by me, but generally I like to go out into the community to find a camera club and bird society, things like that.

Heat and humidity are not my favorite things, but I know of very few affordable places where there isn't some undesirable weather condition going on. Chicago summers are normally very humid and hot. Right up until it snows. I am neither conservative or traditionally religious, but I am tolerant and know how to get along politely... My niece in Charlotte was worried about that, but has only been hassled a few times by people in gas stations asking her if she's been saved. She says it hasn't been an issue. Hopefully that would hold for me too.

Thanks for the heads up on the allergies. I hope it won't be too bad for me. The little dog might have a problem with that. She gets itchy feet in the summer. I am worried about the fireants getting my box tortoise too!

Where I live now in the Chicago suburbs there isn't much "natural" nature left, so there are a lot of nature preserves, forest preserves, and heritage farms with good walking trails. I hope to find some close by well populated nature trails wherever I end up, for my daily solo photo treks. I'm a little worried that a place with a lot of wild places won't have so many "tamed" places to roam, but I've been researching that.

Hopefully I will be able to find a decent rental home and spend some time finding just the right spot.

Oh and it has to have a lot of dragonflies I like to monitor them and report to odanatacentral.org.

Old 04-20-2013, 02:02 PM

224 posts, read 191,116 times
Default Sun City Carolina Lakes

I love visiting CD and reading the wonderful tips you ladies share. Thank you!

I just took a look at the Sun City Carolina Lakes web site. Interesting. But I don't think it is for me. On the other hand, they offer a 3-day home rental for $149. I may take them up on that when I next visit North/South Carolina.

Old 04-21-2013, 11:56 PM

205 posts, read 360,091 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthRabbit View Post
Look up our founder, Wisteria, she might be ready to give up her place in Santa Cruz (beautiful this time of yr).

I am enjoying Spring in Asia (Singapore at the moment, Thailand in a couple weeks). I will need to get home in June to feed the dog and MOW the grass. (Farm dog, never penned or leashed, He's happy to watch over the place while I'm gone.)
Sounds like you are having amazing adventures . You will have to share what took you to that part of the world

Old 04-22-2013, 06:12 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
22,622 posts, read 39,986,663 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by karcon View Post
Sounds like you are having amazing adventures . You will have to share what took you to that part of the world
Temporary Job Needing to UP my savings since the 'downturn' and still many away yrs from SS / Medicare. Health benefits are necessary due to US GOV taking away HSA option. ('retired' pre age 50)

The work I really enjoy (tho this assignment has big problems). BUT I especially enjoy TRAVELING & working with locals in Asia (TH, SGP, CH, MY, TW). Food and people are GREAT, and being PAID to travel is not bad either. (6 Asia trips this yr + 10 to San Diego... Rough life)

End game... Getting enough Flyer miles and hotel points to ENJOY a Round-the-world trip when I'm done with this gig. You can take 12 months and 12 stops on a RTW ticket. I assure you THAT will be fun if I live long enough to enjoy it. I have a route planned mostly for Southern Hemisphere, tho I REALLY HOPE to spend another Christmas in Switzerland, Austria, Bavaria, and a spring in Holland / France (month on a canal barge). Before kicking the bucket. Sweet dreams...

GLAD you are back, and do check out Santa Cruz while you are in SF area, Wisteria and another poster (Nancy-the-reader?)in this forum ended up in a Mobile Home Park a few blocks from the beach. They must be happy and BUSY, as they don't lurk here any more. I stay in a 'Guesthome' in Danville, CA (East bay). It is a gem of a $10.night place. Hosts are really fun and make GREAT breakfasts. In SF proper, I stay at Ft Mason Hostel and have a good time with the various world travelers. Many are older international folks in the wintertime. Do take the SF Library free guided walking tours, they are great fun. Have fun with the kids!

Old 04-22-2013, 01:43 PM

1,569 posts, read 3,086,141 times
Quote:

GLAD you are back, and do check out Santa Cruz while you are in SF area, Wisteria and another poster (Nancy-the-reader?)in this forum ended up in a Mobile Home Park a few blocks from the beach. They must be happy and BUSY, as they don't lurk here any more. I stay in a 'Guesthome' in Danville, CA (East bay). It is a gem of a $10.night place. Hosts are really fun and make GREAT breakfasts. In SF proper, I stay at Ft Mason Hostel and have a good time with the various world travelers. Many are older international folks in the wintertime. Do take the SF Library free guided walking tours, they are great fun. Have fun with the kids!
Seems like I read in some other thread that Nancy-the-Reader moved back to Long Island.

Old 04-23-2013, 05:30 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
22,622 posts, read 39,986,663 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dancingearth View Post
Seems like I read in some other thread that Nancy-the-Reader moved back to Long Island.
Yes, heard that as well. Short trip to CA for her. There is a HUGE cultural difference between left and right coast. + many other reasons in each situation. I think you would find the left coast more welcoming for most, and not so cliquey. BUT a bit weird... 'Stand-off -ish'. Congenial, accepting, but not outgoing.

If I want CLOSE friends, I'm afraid I would need to move to MN or WI... so if I get TERMINAL illness I will head there. (Or Oklahoma, where cost of care is low and people are friendly, and I just might get carried away in a tornado, like our friend in KS.)

Come along Toto

from Wizard of Oz - (but applicable to C-D 'searchers', including Nancy and myself....) I will never claim to know the RIGHT way to head, as it would certainly be the OTHER way

Dorothy Gale: Now which way do we go?
The Scarecrow: Pardon me, this way is a very nice way.
Dorothy Gale: Who said that? Don't be silly, Toto. Scarecrows don't talk.
The Scarecrow: It's pleasant down that way, too.
Dorothy Gale: That's funny. Wasn't he pointing the other way?
The Scarecrow: Of course, some people do go both ways.

Old 04-23-2013, 09:39 AM

1,569 posts, read 3,086,141 times
Quote:
Yes, heard that as well. Short trip to CA for her. There is a HUGE cultural difference between left and right coast. + many other reasons in each situation. I think you would find the left coast more welcoming for most, and not so cliquey. BUT a bit weird... 'Stand-off -ish'. Congenial, accepting, but not outgoing.

If I want CLOSE friends, I'm afraid I would need to move to MN or WI... so if I get TERMINAL illness I will head there. (Or Oklahoma, where cost of care is low and people are friendly, and I just might get carried away in a tornado, like our friend in KS.)

Come along Toto

– from Wizard of Oz - (but applicable to C-D 'searchers', including Nancy and myself....) I will never claim to know the RIGHT way to head, as it would certainly be the OTHER way

Dorothy Gale: Now which way do we go?
The Scarecrow: Pardon me, this way is a very nice way.
Dorothy Gale: Who said that? Don't be silly, Toto. Scarecrows don't talk.
The Scarecrow: It's pleasant down that way, too.
Dorothy Gale: That's funny. Wasn't he pointing the other way?
The Scarecrow: Of course, some people do go both ways.
I love it. So true. If I liked driving I'd want to go all ways in an RV and check it out.

After doing both east and west I decided I really like the west. I never felt like I belonged in the east--my origins are the midwest and PA was not very friendly. I have been told I'm too "normal" for here and in PA I was too weird. What's a gal to do? My friends here are from the midwest and west.

Hey SR--it might help making close friends if you were to stay longer in one spot! That doesn't sound like you! It usually takes me years after I move to make close friends although I spent only five years in WA and I had the most and closest friends in my life. I think it was because I had more time since I wasn't working full-time. Jobs really get in the way. 30 years in PA and the only close friend I have there is my sister-in-law who grew up in Iowa. hmmm... the only thing that tempts me east is family and NC. Then I remember humidity and gray...brown...cloudy winters.

Old 04-28-2013, 07:08 PM

2,627 posts, read 4,954,783 times
I was planning a road trip which would include a visit to my old hometown....Lafayette, IN. I cancelled at the last minute due to bad weather forcasted for the places I would visit. Maybe later this summer. Disappointed to say the least!

Old 04-28-2013, 09:24 PM

985 posts, read 2,211,576 times
Very interesting and informative thread! Thanks all.

If anyone has any questions about NC, feel free to ask or send me a DM. Been here for 17 yrs.

Personally being from the Chicago area and having lived in many places in the country, including Portland, Seattle, NH, AL, LA, GA, TX, and now NC, I cannot wait to escape the relentless humidity.

Still keep changing my mind about where to retire, but think I may head back to the Midwest.

I have relocated long distance alone (with pets) several times, once without ever having set foot in the state I moved to. Others without having seen the place I was going to live, and had rented it long distance via phone calls and pictures. So with that behind me, it won't be too difficult next time around!

"Adventure" is my second name!

Thank you all for sharing.

best,
toodie
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement