U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-15-2013, 03:34 PM

16,042 posts, read 18,975,704 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
Just a quick heads up -- and probably unnecessary . . . but in case any of you are doing research on physicians in an area you are considering . . . surveys are showing that about 1/2 the docs now employed in this country either will be closing or have already closed their practice to accepting new Medicare patients (and often, Medicaid patients, as well).
Although they may not be accepting new Medicare patients, could they drop the ones they have (close their doors to Medicare altogether?)

Old 05-15-2013, 03:50 PM

6,954 posts, read 7,392,568 times
Quote:
Just a quick heads up -- and probably unnecessary . . . but in case any of you are doing research on physicians in an area you are considering . . . surveys are showing that about 1/2 the docs now employed in this country either will be closing or have already closed their practice to accepting new Medicare patients (and often, Medicaid patients, as well).

This is not conjecture. This is occurring now. Docs who are employed by hospitals will, overall, still be accepting Medicare patients, assuming that the hospital has to do so in order to keep their Medicare licensure. So while you are inquiring, find out if the practice is owned by the hospital. If it isn't, be aware that at some point in 2014, most likely 1 Jan 2014, many private practices will no longer be taking new Medicare patients -- and some will not be accepting Medicare patients at all.

Several of the physician practices I have had reason to work with professionally have already done this.
This is very interesting - I have a doc that has been adamant that I see her every 3 months - for years and years - before she will renew my prescriptions. My last visit - about 2 mos. ago she said - here are your prescriptions - I've renewed them for 1 year. No mention of I'll see you XX. It was all very strange.

I received my reloc package from Ashvl and part of it was a letter from a physicians clinics saying they accept new patients "of all ages".

I guess you should all move to Ashvl with me.

Old 05-15-2013, 05:39 PM

35,885 posts, read 67,165,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newenglandgirl View Post
Although they may not be accepting new Medicare patients, could they drop the ones they have (close their doors to Medicare altogether?)
I suppose anything is possible, but with so many docs aligning themselves with hospitals . . . it isn't as though those physicians will even have a choice as to whether or not to dump existing patients. The most they can do is simply close their practice to new patients.

In the coming years, we will have more care provided at point of service by Physician Assistants, Nurse Practitioners . . . so it may not be that big of a deal as to whether or not there is a doc you regularly see. I think many physicians will function more as Medical Directors -- not as much direct patient care as we typically assume we will receive.

Old 05-15-2013, 05:43 PM

35,885 posts, read 67,165,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Umbria View Post
This is very interesting - I have a doc that has been adamant that I see her every 3 months - for years and years - before she will renew my prescriptions. My last visit - about 2 mos. ago she said - here are your prescriptions - I've renewed them for 1 year. No mention of I'll see you XX. It was all very strange.

I received my reloc package from Ashvl and part of it was a letter from a physicians clinics saying they accept new patients "of all ages".

I guess you should all move to Ashvl with me.
Just see if the practice/clinic is owned by Mission in Asheville or by one of the other hospitals in the area. If it isn't, and this is true all over the country, do not assume whatever has been their business model in the past will remain their business model next year.

I know this is hard to fathom, b/c 2014 is really only a matter of months away. Hospitals and physician practices are scrambling to figure out how to deal with declining revenues, shortfalls and the anticipation of an onslaught of literally millions of additional patients.

Old 05-15-2013, 06:10 PM

6,954 posts, read 7,392,568 times
Quote:
Just see if the practice/clinic is owned by Mission in Asheville or by one of the other hospitals in the area. If it isn't, and this is true all over the country, do not assume whatever has been their business model in the past will remain their business model next year.

I know this is hard to fathom, b/c 2014 is really only a matter of months away. Hospitals and physician practices are scrambling to figure out how to deal with declining revenues, shortfalls and the anticipation of an onslaught of literally millions of additional patients.
Scarey stuff.

Here it is:

Asheville Med Peds

They have much longer hours than any Drs office I've ever seen. I won't be medicare age for several years - let's hope this mess is fixed by then. Or - maybe many of us will just be dead.

Old 05-15-2013, 07:52 PM

2,218 posts, read 2,035,670 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newenglandgirl View Post
They are allowed to do this. Up until some time in the 90's doctors had to take Medicare patients. When the policy changed, a doctor I was seeing immediately dropped out of Medicare completely and refused to continue treating me unless I paid her myself. Another doctor I used to see in the 90's before my insurance changed, is now requiring that Medicare patients pay up front. He will however bill Medicare for you. He won't take Medicare assignment so the reimbursement may be less than 100%. I'm not sure how my Medicare supplement will handle that, but I plan to try seeing him. I find this more acceptable than the complete rejection of Medicare by the other one.

Old 05-16-2013, 08:24 AM

8,618 posts, read 9,682,513 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Windwalker2 View Post
They are allowed to do this. Up until some time in the 90's doctors had to take Medicare patients. When the policy changed, a doctor I was seeing immediately dropped out of Medicare completely and refused to continue treating me unless I paid her myself. Another doctor I used to see in the 90's before my insurance changed, is now requiring that Medicare patients pay up front. He will however bill Medicare for you. He won't take Medicare assignment so the reimbursement may be less than 100%. I'm not sure how my Medicare supplement will handle that, but I plan to try seeing him. I find this more acceptable than the complete rejection of Medicare by the other one.
I've had the same doctor for over 15 years now and I think he takes every insurance there is. I know I've changed provider three times and he's taken them all. I receive statements from Medicare whenever I have a doc appt. and I was flat amazed at what the doc billed! I know he didn't get paid that much but why do they jack it up like that?

Old 05-16-2013, 08:28 AM

166 posts, read 163,594 times
September 2014 is my retirement date for CLEARWATER, FL. Going there on 'a wing and a prayer' as they say. Whatever will be..will be..in the meantime, I will mull it over on the beach and looking at the gorgeous palm trees in SEPTEMBER 2014.

Old 05-16-2013, 01:04 PM

404 posts, read 494,415 times
how fabulous gail! here are some best wishes and a ton of great luck in your new life.

Old 05-17-2013, 06:51 AM

895 posts, read 1,331,326 times
Quote:

There do appear to be few certainties concerning health insurance-doctors-medicare and the future other than total uncertainty.

I had a great Advantage plan in 2012. The company did not continue the policy and set up a new option for 2013 that sounded great on paper..............however......the past few days has made me seriously wonder about that. Right now, i'm less than impressed but it will be a moot point as I will be relocating in the near future. But what would have kept me tied to Richmond, Virginia as a retirement location partially because of the great medical plans totally upended overnight. '

While medical is important, I know that it not likely to remain a constant in regard to provision of affordable, quality care.

I was rather excited about the new comprehensive care offered by my insurance provider that was touted with this progressive ," straight from the west coast" innovation but right now it feels substandard, totally lacking in communication, staffed by people that apparently arent reading the memos and a snap diagnosis, one-size-fits-all seniors mentality. I walked in feeling fairly healthy and walked out feeling like the venacular "WTF?????"

The kicker was being told that my height was two inches less than before.......... when I mentioned that was alarming, I was told that I had my shoes on - I dryly told the tech that that would mean I was really even shorter & asked her to measure me without my shoes -she pronounced me 3 inches shorter than a few months ago....:shocke d:

when I mentioned this to the nurse practioner, she said that that one was always off............

.i thought she meant the tech which I would have whole-heartedly agreed but it was the machine that wasn't measuring correctly..............and they are still using it because ??????????????????????????

this was followed by a bone density scan, results to be in today, so maybe it will explain the non-existant height loss.......................................or maybe that machine also doesn't work correctly. i'd be laughing if my funny bone wasn't part of the three inches........................
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement