U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-16-2013, 04:43 PM

1,975 posts, read 2,727,696 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Windwalker2 View Post
I would add that we can no longer look at climate history to find the "ideal" place to live.
You're right. (And I must admit -- it scares me.)

Old 06-16-2013, 06:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by artangel View Post

I've thought of an independent living facility where I'd have a room/rooms for privacy but with common facilities to share/enjoy. But I could never afford that.
Do you know that many independent living facilities will let you and another person (it may have to be a woman in most places -- but maybe not) share the cost of an apartment?

Old 06-17-2013, 06:59 AM

205 posts, read 360,202 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ConeyIsBabe View Post
I see myself in this post
CIB; I thought of you too when I read this. These postings are very insightful and really do make one think. I find once again I am asking myself what do I want to be (and where do I want to be it) when I grow up. Really thought I sort of had an answer once I came back from visiting my daughter and new granddaughter in Australia and son in CA. I wanted to be closer to family and decided northern CA would be it. I get home full of expectations (my own, of course) and then my son and his significant other of six years ended their relationship. I really cared a lot for her and her family (all from NOCA). I am again reminded that we can't make our plans for the future based on others. Yes, would still like to be closer to my family. CA is closer to Australia than FL is and my daughter and her family may be back in the states in two years and in CA. But I can't make all these plans based on their life.

I am alone but not lonely. I guess the best description would be I'm bored. I read of your adventures and think wow, she has it made. I think I'd really like to be that kid again who goes to summer camp - be here as my home base and then have a couple of places to go and stay for a month or two. That's what Australia is like - but with a brutally long flight(s) to get to - but worth it.

I have read all of these new posts but responded to this as understand your delimma. DE has a great spirit too and (hi to you!) would love to visit with her again.

The information shared here has been great. A place where we can get and give inspiration and hope.

Old 06-17-2013, 07:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by karcon View Post
CIB; I thought of you too when I read this. These postings are very insightful and really do make one think. I find once again I am asking myself what do I want to be (and where do I want to be it) when I grow up. Really thought I sort of had an answer once I came back from visiting my daughter and new granddaughter in Australia and son in CA. I wanted to be closer to family and decided northern CA would be it. I get home full of expectations (my own, of course) and then my son and his significant other of six years ended their relationship. I really cared a lot for her and her family (all from NOCA). I am again reminded that we can't make our plans for the future based on others. Yes, would still like to be closer to my family. CA is closer to Australia than FL is and my daughter and her family may be back in the states in two years and in CA. But I can't make all these plans based on their life.

I am alone but not lonely. I guess the best description would be I'm bored. I read of your adventures and think wow, she has it made. I think I'd really like to be that kid again who goes to summer camp - be here as my home base and then have a couple of places to go and stay for a month or two. That's what Australia is like - but with a brutally long flight(s) to get to - but worth it.

I have read all of these new posts but responded to this as understand your delimma. DE has a great spirit too and (hi to you!) would love to visit with her again.

The information shared here has been great. A place where we can get and give inspiration and hope.
I don't care what anybody actually says. I think we're all at least a little bored in retirement. Working, whether we liked what we did or not, gets into our very bones. Work provides a big purpose for living. We all dream of retirement. Then retirement happens. And after the initial euphoria, we find out that retirement is not a prolonged vacation and that we're not going back to work. Where we had a lot of social interaction and, hopefully, intellectual stimulation. Unless we go back to work after retiring -- retirement turns our whole world upside down. It takes most of us 2-5 years to even begin to adjust. It's like divorcing, after 40 years, someone we had a love-hate relationship with for 40 years.

I worked with a government agency that had over 100 men for 27+ years. There was almost no turnover. These guys would retire, after 20-30-35 years on the job, and be dead within 1.5-2 years. They would have a heart attack or get cancer. It became such 'the norm' that the men wouldn't want to retire -- I'm serious. Or they would come back and work PT or FT (which they could do). Or they would work PT or FT at a private offshoot of the government agency they had worked in for all those years.

I retired about 7 years ago. I'm pretty much adjusted now. I started to adjust three years ago when I became pretty sick. But those first four years of retirement -- well after the first 6-12 months, which were great -- were very difficult.

I do believe that there are people who are VERY happy in retirement and probably have very happy since Day 1. I just think those people are pretty rare.

Old 06-17-2013, 10:01 AM

1,569 posts, read 3,086,739 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by karcon View Post

Come visit again anytime Karcon! I won't even put you to work in my garden unless you want to help dig a french drain and put in a patio. After living alone for 10 years I also find I'm rarely lonely anymore as long as I stay busy. Usually I'm only lonely after family visits and leaves. I'm with you--sometimes I'm just bored. Boredom becomes a problem because then I eat. Sometimes I choose to be alone because I get tired of my friends and having to organize everything (and then hearing complaining!) I try to remember it's a trade-off. I won't hike alone so if I want to go hiking I have to organize it. My friends quit hiking this spring because I was focused on digging in my yard. At the end of the hike yesterday I said "who is volunteering to drive and be hike leader next week?" Silence. hike...hike...hike. Talked about what day we were going and I repeated "who wants to drive and pick a hike." Finally one woman said she could drive but where should we go? I told her as hike leader it was up to her. By the end we had it figured out and I felt relieved that I didn't have to drive and plan the hike next weekend. Gonna train them to take turns yet and if the two that don't start volunteering I'll stop including them.

I saw the AARP bulletin just had an article on women sharing homes. Some of the women were writing a book about it. Older Women Saving Money, Avoiding Loneliness With Roommates, House Sharing - AARP Obviously one thing they didn't think of was growing old in a house where you have to go up to the 3rd floor.

Old 06-17-2013, 01:53 PM

1,952 posts, read 4,619,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Windwalker2 View Post
I would add that we can no longer look at climate history to find the "ideal" place to live.
Absolutely correct. No matter where we might live or move to in retirement, there will be several months of uncomfortable weather, either too hot, too humid or too cold. The strategy has to be one of "what can I tolerate" and "what are the costs" associated with those uncomfortable months, either heating or cooling costs.

Even Hawaii, usually touted as having nearly perfect weather is changing. I read an article that said the breezes that keep Hawaii cooler and less humid are shifting, due to climate change, and it is becoming more humid on the islands. Ahhh. Well, Hawaii wasn't on any of my retirement lists anyway....LOL.

Old 06-17-2013, 01:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dancingearth View Post
I saw the AARP bulletin just had an article on women sharing homes. Some of the women were writing a book about it. Older Women Saving Money, Avoiding Loneliness With Roommates, House Sharing - AARP Obviously one thing they didn't think of was growing old in a house where you have to go up to the 3rd floor.
I saw the same article! I saved it! I'd love to find a group of retirees to share housing in retirement, for the company, security and economy. It's expensive to live alone. Anyway, wherever I end up, that's definitely something I will pursue. The article mentioned a lot of good ideas and things to think about (trade-offs....).

Old 06-17-2013, 02:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fran66 View Post

I'm going to state the obvious: no matter where we live, there's is going to be at least one major thing we don't like. The weather, the effects of climate change, the high cost of living, taxes, loneliness.

I think there are less expensive places to live in comparison to other places, but the reality is that, these days, every place is expensive. The days of a cheap place to live are pretty much gone, and I don't think they're coming back. Ever.
Yes, I totally agree. I'm finding the same thing, that living in a less expensive place is becoming more relative than reality. It's a matter of comparison, not finding a "cheap" place to live. There are "cheaper" places, but some of them are not safe for retirees, especially singles, and even setting aside "charm", cheaper places are usually not all that cheap when you look at all the costs in a given area, not just state income and sales taxes, property taxes, heating or cooling costs, utilities, etc. Plus, a lot of states are in the process of overhauling state income and sales taxes as we speak or write. What is true today won't be true tomorrow, making it hard to plan.

I just did a thorough analysis of registering a car in Asheville, NC, and with the driver's license added in, the total cost is: $387 the first year with a 5 year old car:
$32.00 (dr license (for 8 years)
$28.00 for registration
$40.00 to transfer the title
$150.00 Use tax for a 2008 honda
$137.00 property tax for 2008 honda

Then, the inspection will be $43.00 each year prior to renewal.

This is the highest amount I am finding compared to other states I am looking at. It's interesting to see where each state gets its revenue. All part of the puzzle.

Year 2 in Asheville would be less:
$28.00 for registration
$120.00 for property tax on same car (6 years old)
43.00 inspection
Total = $191.00 (assuming I kept the same car)

Old 06-17-2013, 02:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by xz2y View Post
I saw the same article! I saved it! I'd love to find a group of retirees to share housing in retirement, for the company, security and economy. It's expensive to live alone. Anyway, wherever I end up, that's definitely something I will pursue. The article mentioned a lot of good ideas and things to think about (trade-offs....).
I think every women who is retiring (unless they are very wealthy) alone should have to read this book before they can retire. LOL I certainly will when it comes out.

Old 06-17-2013, 02:50 PM

6,954 posts, read 7,398,977 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xz2y View Post
Yes, I totally agree. I'm finding the same thing, that living in a less expensive place is becoming more relative than reality. It's a matter of comparison, not finding a "cheap" place to live. There are "cheaper" places, but some of them are not safe for retirees, especially singles, and even setting aside "charm", cheaper places are usually not all that cheap when you look at all the costs in a given area, not just state income and sales taxes, property taxes, heating or cooling costs, utilities, etc. Plus, a lot of states are in the process of overhauling state income and sales taxes as we speak or write. What is true today won't be true tomorrow, making it hard to plan.

I just did a thorough analysis of registering a car in Asheville, NC, and with the driver's license added in, the total cost is: $387 the first year with a 5 year old car:
$32.00 (dr license (for 8 years)
$28.00 for registration
$40.00 to transfer the title
$150.00 Use tax for a 2008 honda
$137.00 property tax for 2008 honda

Then, the inspection will be $43.00 each year prior to renewal.

This is the highest amount I am finding compared to other states I am looking at. It's interesting to see where each state gets its revenue. All part of the puzzle.

Year 2 in Asheville would be less:
$28.00 for registration
$120.00 for property tax on same car (6 years old)
43.00 inspection
Total = $191.00 (assuming I kept the same car)
You really need to stop raining on my parade. I live in a high tax state and NC just might be just as bad. I guess this means I'll be selling the Miata - As long as Ashvl isn't more expensive than Mpls I guess I will continue with my plans. There just isn't anywhere else that I'm interested in going right now.

You are our official tax/COS consultant

P.S. My kitty, Gracie, died sometime during the night. She was very old and I could tell that the end was coming. Yesterday she seemed to rally and was my little shadow again and ate a bit more but this morning she had gone over the Rainbow bridge.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement