U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-18-2013, 07:18 PM

1,936 posts, read 4,614,065 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Umbria View Post
You really need to stop raining on my parade. I live in a high tax state and NC just might be just as bad. I guess this means I'll be selling the Miata - As long as Ashvl isn't more expensive than Mpls I guess I will continue with my plans. There just isn't anywhere else that I'm interested in going right now.

You are our official tax/COS consultant

P.S. My kitty, Gracie, died sometime during the night. She was very old and I could tell that the end was coming. Yesterday she seemed to rally and was my little shadow again and ate a bit more but this morning she had gone over the Rainbow bridge.
Yeah, I'm really getting into the this tax thing! It will be interesting to see what the NC legislature finally decides at the end of June.....

Oh dear, I am so sorry to hear about your kitty, Gracie. Wow, I love cats, though I don't have one now, as my apartment building doesn't allow pets. But I've had several over the years and they are like members of the family. While she has passed on, her memory will live with you.

Old 06-18-2013, 07:26 PM

6,954 posts, read 7,396,297 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xz2y View Post
Yeah, I'm really getting into the this tax thing! It will be interesting to see what the NC legislature finally decides at the end of June.....

Oh dear, I am so sorry to hear about your kitty, Gracie. Wow, I love cats, though I don't have one now, as my apartment building doesn't allow pets. But I've had several over the years and they are like members of the family. While she has passed on, her memory will live with you.
Thanks - miss the furball. I still have 2 dogs - TG.

MN was 7th on the list of states with the highest tax burden before this last hike. We must be 5th now. That's got to be higher than NC.

Old 06-20-2013, 07:51 PM

12 posts, read 25,199 times
i'm from ny, been here my whole life, now in late 50
s can't make friends or meet anyone.

Old 06-21-2013, 12:03 PM

6,128 posts, read 9,088,474 times
Dee: Are you planning to stay in NY? Are you working? Late 50s isn't retirement age, so you probably have a job. Have you tried reaching out to people in your area to do things with? We all have hard times meeting new peeps, so just keep trying. Let us know how its going.

Old 06-24-2013, 12:57 PM

2,220 posts, read 2,037,561 times
Interesting but it sounds like advertising. This person has only 1 post.

Old 06-24-2013, 02:19 PM

1,569 posts, read 3,086,141 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Windwalker2 View Post
Interesting but it sounds like advertising. This person has only 1 post.
The only place I found info was on CD - said it was an isolated RV park 10-15 miles from Sequim. Nothing about tiny homes. That link didn't work.

Old 06-24-2013, 04:19 PM

27 posts, read 34,884 times
Gone, Baby, Gone!

I have been too busy packing and getting ready to move to post much here but I HAVE DONE IT! Retiring alone in another state after my husband died unexpectedly last year. I am 58 years old and have never lived alone in my life.

Found a very good husband/wife team realtors. They gave me some advice on the best use of my money to fix up my house in suburban Chicagoland. I wanted to rent a place in Fort Mill, SC to be near my sister and her family but couldn't find a place with a first floor bedroom/bathroom for my handicapped mom so I rented a three year old ranch style house in Greenville, SC. (Did a road trip last summer and Greenville was high on the list.)

Rented three ABF-Upack Relo Cubes. They were dropped on my driveway in Illinois on a Friday, I hired packing help from a local mover. Two men, two hours, under $200. They told me to stay in the house and point out what went and what stayed, and so I didn't really see how the stuff was being put in the cubes. My bad. I opened one of the cubes to add some boxes the next day only to find that the movers had removed all my garage items from the large packing boxes and just flung them up on top of the heap of other items. At this point everything fell out of the cube, including a table, which left a two foot long dent in my car. An hour later I had the cube repacked, but the door was all twisted on the hinges and would not close, let alone latch to be locked. My neighbor tried to fix it to no avail, the ABF terminal was closed and did not even have an answering machine. I did have a spare empty cube and so I was about to call all my friends and family to help me swap the stuff to the extra cube. I went in the house and cried for a few minutes, then went back out there and kicked the cube really hard and yelled, CLOSE, YOU (bad word here!). And it closed as smooth as silk so I locked it. Quickly. On Monday morning the cubes were removed and on their way to SC.

My daughters left at midnight Tuesday driving my car, my dog, my box turtle, my computer and cameras, and the love letters my husband and I wrote when we were first dating at age 15. Just the things I could not bear to lose. They arrived without incident Wednesday, driving 12 hours straight through, picked up the keys from the property management company, and let themselves into the rental house which I had taken sight unseen.

On Thursday the cubes were delivered onto the single wide driveway with mere inches to spare, and the driveway had a very steep grade to boot. Thursday afternoon I arrived with my mom at Charlotte airport, after a variety difficulties involving the lack of promised assistance from US Airways in moving my wheelchair bound mother and several carry on items including a portable oxygen concentrator off the plane. After a long fruitless wait and a useless lady with a walkie talkie, our flight crew took it upon themselves to get my mom and our stuff moved to the skycap center a considerable walk away. Oldest daughter came to pick us up and drive us the two hours to Greenville where I rented a hotel room because my Mom's bed wasn't set up yet in the rental house.

Friday morning there was supposed to be a local Two Men and a Truck at the rental to unload the cubes. They were a no show. I called and they said they never heard of me and that was just too bad. They did offer to send a crew the next day. My daughters got on the phone and found someone to come out right away. They quoted the hourly rate, but failed to tell us that they required a three hour minimum. They unloaded in one hour and charged us the three hour rate but by that point I was just thrilled to have my boxes in the house.

On Monday the flat bed and forklift came to remove the relo cubes from the driveway but the forklift had bald tires and could not make it up the driveway. He kept sliding backwards down the hill. I couldn't bear to watch and so I went in the house. Eventually I peeked out and the cubes and truck were gone.

Today a big black cloud floated over the house, and a deluge of warm rain came down. I grabbed the dog, we ran up and down the street in the rain, and splashed in the gutters. Life is good.

At any moment I may be crying into my pillow and sobbing that I want to go home, but I think my husband would have been proud of me for figuring out the logistics, getting the house ready to sell, and doing what I had to do to make my money last as long as possible. (Moving where the cost of living is much lower.) We built that house with our own hands when we were 21 years old, and I thought it would kill me to walk out that door one last time, but I was strangely at peace.

Oh by the way, my house was listed on Friday, got three viewings and three offers on Saturday, and I signed a contract. And no, it wasn't underpriced. Sometimes good things just happen.

I'll write more after settling in a bit, to let you know what worked and what didn't about the move. There have been some surprises already!

Old 06-24-2013, 04:36 PM

2,220 posts, read 2,037,561 times
OMG what a story. You seem to have handled all the setbacks amazingly well. And congrats on selling the house so fast!

Old 06-24-2013, 07:01 PM

6,128 posts, read 9,088,474 times
Demi: I am so happy for you !!! You have the courage to take the bull by the horns and just DO IT. Your story is exactly what I imagine when I think of moving across the country by myself. Only alot more crying. Congrats to you ! Looking forward to hearing .....the rest of the story. Barb

Old 06-24-2013, 09:26 PM

895 posts, read 1,332,280 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by demicent View Post
Gone, Baby, Gone!

I have been too busy packing and getting ready to move to post much here but I HAVE DONE IT! Retiring alone in another state after my husband died unexpectedly last year. I am 58 years old and have never lived alone in my life.

Found a very good husband/wife team realtors. They gave me some advice on the best use of my money to fix up my house in suburban Chicagoland. I wanted to rent a place in Fort Mill, SC to be near my sister and her family but couldn't find a place with a first floor bedroom/bathroom for my handicapped mom so I rented a three year old ranch style house in Greenville, SC. (Did a road trip last summer and Greenville was high on the list.)

Rented three ABF-Upack Relo Cubes. They were dropped on my driveway in Illinois on a Friday, I hired packing help from a local mover. Two men, two hours, under $200. They told me to stay in the house and point out what went and what stayed, and so I didn't really see how the stuff was being put in the cubes. My bad. I opened one of the cubes to add some boxes the next day only to find that the movers had removed all my garage items from the large packing boxes and just flung them up on top of the heap of other items. At this point everything fell out of the cube, including a table, which left a two foot long dent in my car. An hour later I had the cube repacked, but the door was all twisted on the hinges and would not close, let alone latch to be locked. My neighbor tried to fix it to no avail, the ABF terminal was closed and did not even have an answering machine. I did have a spare empty cube and so I was about to call all my friends and family to help me swap the stuff to the extra cube. I went in the house and cried for a few minutes, then went back out there and kicked the cube really hard and yelled, CLOSE, YOU (bad word here!). And it closed as smooth as silk so I locked it. Quickly. On Monday morning the cubes were removed and on their way to SC.

My daughters left at midnight Tuesday driving my car, my dog, my box turtle, my computer and cameras, and the love letters my husband and I wrote when we were first dating at age 15. Just the things I could not bear to lose. They arrived without incident Wednesday, driving 12 hours straight through, picked up the keys from the property management company, and let themselves into the rental house which I had taken sight unseen.

On Thursday the cubes were delivered onto the single wide driveway with mere inches to spare, and the driveway had a very steep grade to boot. Thursday afternoon I arrived with my mom at Charlotte airport, after a variety difficulties involving the lack of promised assistance from US Airways in moving my wheelchair bound mother and several carry on items including a portable oxygen concentrator off the plane. After a long fruitless wait and a useless lady with a walkie talkie, our flight crew took it upon themselves to get my mom and our stuff moved to the skycap center a considerable walk away. Oldest daughter came to pick us up and drive us the two hours to Greenville where I rented a hotel room because my Mom's bed wasn't set up yet in the rental house.

Friday morning there was supposed to be a local Two Men and a Truck at the rental to unload the cubes. They were a no show. I called and they said they never heard of me and that was just too bad. They did offer to send a crew the next day. My daughters got on the phone and found someone to come out right away. They quoted the hourly rate, but failed to tell us that they required a three hour minimum. They unloaded in one hour and charged us the three hour rate but by that point I was just thrilled to have my boxes in the house.

On Monday the flat bed and forklift came to remove the relo cubes from the driveway but the forklift had bald tires and could not make it up the driveway. He kept sliding backwards down the hill. I couldn't bear to watch and so I went in the house. Eventually I peeked out and the cubes and truck were gone.

Today a big black cloud floated over the house, and a deluge of warm rain came down. I grabbed the dog, we ran up and down the street in the rain, and splashed in the gutters. Life is good.

At any moment I may be crying into my pillow and sobbing that I want to go home, but I think my husband would have been proud of me for figuring out the logistics, getting the house ready to sell, and doing what I had to do to make my money last as long as possible. (Moving where the cost of living is much lower.) We built that house with our own hands when we were 21 years old, and I thought it would kill me to walk out that door one last time, but I was strangely at peace.

Oh by the way, my house was listed on Friday, got three viewings and three offers on Saturday, and I signed a contract. And no, it wasn't underpriced. Sometimes good things just happen.

I'll write more after settling in a bit, to let you know what worked and what didn't about the move. There have been some surprises already!
Congratulations, Neighbor! You took a big step!!!

I pulled the pin from the grenade as well and ironically landed close to you/Anderson SC. scraped my pennies together and bought a house outright. Still sleeping on cushions on the floor since my beds won't fit up the staircase but dang, I have moved!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement