U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-01-2013, 03:24 PM

4,574 posts, read 7,063,489 times

Advertisements

PhxBarb...are you surviving the heat, even for PHX this is crazy hot!

Old 07-01-2013, 06:43 PM

6,128 posts, read 9,088,474 times
Autumn: The weather has gone nuts. As far as surviving, I took the cat to the vet today, came home, did a little shopping and its back in the house. Survival means doing whatever I can inside to keep busy. My tomato plants are fried and they only produced one tomato each which makes me mad. The rest of my garden looks just as bad. I was hoping to be out of here by now, but in the Carolinas and east coast there is so much rain and flooding going on that I may give up that idea completely. I have a friend in Newark, DE who said her house is on a hill; otherwise it would have floated away. Hope you are doing better. What a summer, huh?

Old 07-02-2013, 03:08 PM

4,574 posts, read 7,063,489 times
Time for a road trip to San Diego!

Old 07-03-2013, 12:24 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
22,622 posts, read 39,986,663 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by loveautumn View Post
I'll be there in a few hrs. While I love road trips, I can't improve on the $28.84 airfares from PDX on Spirit (tho I hate to fly them... I'm insured)

Can't buy much gas for $28. (Summer prices are up to $48..)

Flowers / weather is great in PNW (tad hot (90F), but cool at night (55F). Back into the low 80's tomorrow.

I hate missing sun in PNW, so will just be in SAN for 2 days this time.

Old 07-04-2013, 07:06 PM

437 posts, read 556,005 times
Hello all, first poster here!

I have read through MOST of the posts, within the last year, but got stopped up with all the doc and Medicare posts, and decided to just forge through and ask my own questions.

*I suffer from a few disabilities that take my ability to concentrate for long periods, away*

I'm a 51 year old woman, divorced, fit, attractive, with a 5 yr old ENGLISH BULLDOG, and a few disabilities. I was an active motorcycle enthusiast before the disabilities took my life away. I was lifting weights, hosting parties, blah blah blah.

Been in Chicago for most of my life. "Did some time" in So. Florida, back in the late 80's, and swore I'd NEVER go back, unless I was blind, senile and still have my drivers licence... so I'd fit in. *No offense to anyone with blue hued hair, living there... that was THEN, this is NOW.

Fast forward to having no money in the bank, and about to "live" on SSDI once approved, which will be about $1000 a month. Yes, you read that right... a month.

And so I'll be selling my very large home in Chicago and paying off debts incurred while filing for disability, *OH what a hell I wish on NO ONE*... and will have VERY LITTLE to PAY OUTRIGHT for a condo or townhome, and will NEED walkability and amenities close by, either by walking or through public transportation.

Because of one of my disabilities, I'm going deaf, and my balance is lost, so I usually walk with a can or a four wheelie walker, which as an ex-dancer, sometimes makes me cry.... AND IT IS WHAT IT IS.

SO HAH! Try to find ME, a 51 year old, disabled woman, no car and no money to LIVE on, and cannot handle horrid heats or horrid humidity, because of my diseases... and.....

YOU HAVE ONE.HOT.MESS.

Sincerely yours....

bullie.... ONE.HOT.MESS in Chicago

*thanks in advance for your kind responses.... I was saddened by many a post about losses and hardships*

Old 07-04-2013, 08:46 PM

6,128 posts, read 9,088,474 times
Hi Bullie: Welcome to this thread, which I hope they put back where it belongs. (up there)
I am from Chicago area too, and in AZ now, and searching for a place, like you, with very little heat, little humidity, no tornadoes, floods, hurricanes, snowstorms, snakes, firestorms, and really nice people. Oh I forgot. Low cost of living and transportation to stores and stuff. Don't want much, huh? If you find it, anywhere, let me know. Have been looking for a long time....

Old 07-04-2013, 09:02 PM

"PhxBarb", thank you for the welcome, and you bet I'll let you know. I've been busting my eyeballs on this dang laptop, burning my fingers off, trying to find "THEE PLACE"....

Yanno... low cost of living, great weather, amazing walkability, friendly folk, diverse people, affordable and, yeah, NOT in the retirement and waiting to die community. *sorry whoever digs that stuff... as a gal who HAD to give up her motorcycle, AND now her hearing, I am NOT ready for bingo and shuffle board*... *wink*

I want LIVELY folk of all ages around me, culture hungry folk, safe 'hoods to walk as a single woman and um, er, uh.... yeah, maybe a hunk of a muscled, dark haired, intelligent, 5'10" man to go along with it.

Am I asking for too much??

Meh... I'm not done burning up my laptop. he he

bullie~

Old 07-05-2013, 12:25 PM

6,071 posts, read 9,535,742 times
Bullie - maybe San Felipe, Mexico? It's an ex-pat town, but not a gated "gringo ghetto". I expect there's public transportation back up to Calexico if you need to go back to the US for medical, but I've never actually researched it.

Old 07-05-2013, 12:40 PM

oddstray...... I wonder, and will check, if one can receive SSDI and leave the country.....

And quite sincerely, I've never thought of moving out of the Country, and am not comfortable thinking of doing do.

My disease is a progressive one, and one that may require me to have more help than I'm willing to admit, right now. Balance, hearing loss, a possible Cochlear Implant when necessary, and no accents. Seriously, I have a hard enough time trying to lip read and "hear" American accents.... forget anything else. Sad truth? I've had to have people transfer me to a doctor or nurse who doesn't have an accent, because I can't understand a word they say. Those of us with Meniere's have a tough time with word recognition. Add an accent? oy. lol

Thanks for the thought, though! Great to see others responding. We'll all figure out our special place "to go"....

bullie~

Old 07-05-2013, 12:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by loveautumn View Post

HOORAH!!! *runs to pack bags and wait outside for curb pick-up*

bullie~
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement