U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-05-2013, 12:56 PM

437 posts, read 556,005 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by madmaxine View Post
.....say, have any of you heard of the "tiny house" movement? This would be ideal for some people (who, like me) want to live greener, and simpler livestyles.
Yes, and I receive their newsletter, almost daily. The only reason I poo-poo'd it in the end, was because I can't do much to FIX things, unless duct tape is involved. When my tiny house starts to fall apart, I'm alone, no one there to help.

And the Tiny Home Communities are few, and far between. Shame.... so many start up, then are deserted. One is even a lovely vacation spot, somewhere in Texas, I believe... *don't quote me on the locale*

For a lot of women, or those with no disposable income/resources, a condo is the only way to secure someone will be there, if something breaks, falls apart, goes KAPLOOIE.

Meh.... I hate having to admit that I'm in need of a mechanically inclined helper, but as I mentioned earlier, if he's dark haired, 5'10" and muscled, I promise you I'll change my attitude.

Because I have a disability, I am more in need of help. Buying a single family home or a Tiny House is kind of out of MY picture, but dang it, if ya'll HAVEN'T seen the pics of these ADORABLE Tiny Homes, please Google them.

Another word and then I'll hush. I don't know if it's been brought up before, but the thought that we'll be alone, women without a man, EVER, and need to make sure we're near help, if needed, or medical care, if needed, is important. Would be great to live my life out in the boonies, but I can't. And we NEVER KNOW when something strikes and changes our lives, forever.

Don't count on what you have now. Count on nothing. Count on preparing, best you can. *My sage advice, and now it's time for me to jump off a short pier.* WAHOO!!!

bullie~

Old 07-07-2013, 05:21 AM

16,361 posts, read 10,348,905 times
If someone wants to live in the 'boonies', it becomes a choice between 'in town' and safe or the 'boonies' and happy.

Neither is right or wrong. Guess for me, seems I've taken the 'safe' way long enough.

Now could you please tell me what meh means?

Old 07-07-2013, 08:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PAhippo View Post
If someone wants to live in the 'boonies', it becomes a choice between 'in town' and safe or the 'boonies' and happy.

Neither is right or wrong. Guess for me, seems I've taken the 'safe' way long enough.

Now could you please tell me what meh means?
Yes, it is always a choice. I guess I'm just a skerredy cat, and feel the need for help. I'm hoping to find something "in town" and also "happy".

"Meh" is a internet slang word used to describe a sound made... Sorta like "eh", but it's the 'newer' version. Some say it means "indifference". I see it as a "shoulder shrug". ~which is guess is indifference, but gosh, that word sounds kinda careless... and I don't mean it in that fashion.

bullie~

Old 07-07-2013, 09:13 AM

thanks for the definition, bullie.

Not too up on current slang.

Have you looked into any college towns? especially those with med schools. Thinking they may have cheap/free clinics for routine stuff at least.

Old 07-07-2013, 09:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PAhippo View Post
thanks for the definition, bullie.

Not too up on current slang.

Have you looked into any college towns? especially those with med schools. Thinking they may have cheap/free clinics for routine stuff at least.
I never thought I'd be "behind the times" myself, so have to constantly find the new abbreviations or "text speak" online, so my writings are viewed by more than my own age category.

College towns are a great idea, and I've been doing a LOT of homework with regard to places such as Lincoln, NE and Little Rock, AR. The site America's Best Places To Live, Visit, Work, Travel and Explore | Livability lists the Top 10 Downtown areas they feel are best suited for those who need everything "at our fingertips", so to speak. And upon checking the prices for condos in those towns, I realized I'm gonna either have to find mahself a Sugar Daddy, or live in a van, down by the river.

And I'm not finished looking, 'cause I don't HAVE a van... *snort~

bullie~

Old 07-07-2013, 10:03 AM

4,484 posts, read 4,746,514 times
Speaking of living in the boonies... I grew up in NYC, moved to Vermont when I was about 16. It was gorgeous and something new which I looked forward to. Although, the area I lived in Manhattan was really nice and I do love the city but parents wanted to move out of it. Anyway, after a few yrs in VT., trying my hand at camping, I realized being in the woods terrified me. Every snap of a twig, all the quiet made me run home. My friends there would laugh at me and I didn't care.
As I got older, that fear of woods etc never changed. I was in the Shenandoah with a friend and we staying in one of the cabins. In the daylight we went for a long walk but had to walk back in the dark. I panicked, she laughed, I waved down a truck and begged for a ride... luckily it was a park ranger who looked at me like I needed to be taken away.

What I realized was that I would feel totally comfortable being in Times Square at 2am than in the woods where I couldn't see anything around me.

Long story longer... when I was visiting my mother in VT a month ago I came face to face with that fear. My mother lives a couple of miles outside of Montpelier, on a dirt road, very peaceful, nice neighbors. Blah, blah, blah. The first night I was there, she says good night, I say good night. I was still awake and reading and noticed that the door to the back deck was wide open with the screen door closed and locked. Hhmm, not liking that at all. I then notice the door to the front porch is open and the screen door closed and locked. I didn't care if my mother was asleep yet or not I had to say something. "Umm, mom, the doors are open, like totally open. Is that safe, did you forget to close them? Want me to close them"? To which she very casually, replied, " Oh no. I leave them open all night. I like the air. I feel safe. I've been doing it for 17yrs., since I moved here". "Ok", I say knowing it's not all that "ok". Well, I made it through my visit without mass murderers breaking in.

Ideally, I think I really want to live in a rural place, sometimes miles away from anyone. Then reality hits and I think I'd end up being up all night feeling afraid. Not sure what I want.

Old 07-07-2013, 11:36 AM

16,042 posts, read 18,985,208 times
Move to any close-in town in WMass. It has a rural feel even within the towns and there's plenty to do. In my neighborhood I do lock the doors, as I've lived in St. Lou and Boston, but few people here lock their doors. The only practical reason to lock them is because of bears. They have a way of opening sliders and coming in and making themselves at home.

Old 07-07-2013, 11:44 AM

well, you sure shouldn't live in a place you're not comfortable! Live in a city or as close to one as you can afford. You can always vacation and/or take day trips to the country.

As for me, I like where I live-towns east or west about 10 miles. North or south a bit further. Driving on some country roads yesterday (dirt roads) I saw an eagle and some bears. Not an every day occurrence of course but it'd never happen in a big city.

Last time I was in NYC I wanted to open a window; I was outside. Not for me, thanks.

Old 07-07-2013, 12:09 PM

4,484 posts, read 4,746,514 times
Well, I don't want to live in NYC again. Not sure I could afford it. Living in the DC area is enough city for me.

Old 07-07-2013, 02:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by newenglandgirl View Post
Move to any close-in town in WMass. It has a rural feel even within the towns and there's plenty to do. In my neighborhood I do lock the doors, as I've lived in St. Lou and Boston, but few people here lock their doors. The only practical reason to lock them is because of bears. They have a way of opening sliders and coming in and making themselves at home.
Being from the East coast, originally, I looked into the WMass area, as well as PA and even NJ.... *hush*

And yanno what? They're freakin' expensive! Unless ya wanna live where you need a car, forget it. HUGE prices on condos in areas where transportation is abundant.

Frustrating. And I know... not everyone is working withe the same constraints as I, and this thread is certainly not about ME ME ME.... I post about prices and public transportation for ALL to see, 'cause it may be important when you least expect it, or when you do.

Loved the story about being in VT. Having lived most of my life in Chicago, the thought of going to bed with anything not locked down like Fort Knox, is unheard of. And I too would be jumping at every snap and creak, if I could hear 'em* lol

Huh... maybe the "semi-boonies" ARE for me. Do they make golf carts with HUGE wheels???

~runs to price out golf carts and monster truck tires~

bullie~
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement