Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-07-2013, 02:44 PM

146 posts, read 265,150 times

Advertisements

Hey ladies, I just posted this

An older woman's playground--do you know a place?

cuz this is what I am looking for, if you are too, stay tuned to what ideas people come up with.

Old 07-07-2013, 03:18 PM

437 posts, read 647,684 times
I don't know if this is kewl to post or not, but someone brought up the Tiny Homes, and since I get the newsletter, and saw THIS today, I wanted to pass it on. Talk about the boonies, and kinda roughin' it.... But DANG if this doesn't tweak some inner trigger in me to want to chuck it all, and live Little House on the Prairie style....

Sorta.

Gonna check out the link about an older woman's playground. Sounds enticing!

Little Cabins In The Woods, 6 Acres of Private Seclusion (Mountain View, Missouri)

bulllie~

Old 07-07-2013, 03:23 PM

16,042 posts, read 21,920,387 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bullie62 View Post
I don't know if this is kewl to post or not, but someone brought up the Tiny Homes, and since I get the newsletter, and saw THIS today, I wanted to pass it on. Talk about the boonies, and kinda roughin' it.... But DANG if this doesn't tweak some inner trigger in me to want to chuck it all, and live Little House on the Prairie style....

Sorta.

Gonna check out the link about an older woman's playground. Sounds enticing!

Little Cabins In The Woods, 6 Acres of Private Seclusion (Mountain View, Missouri)

bulllie~
Cute! but....

How old are you now, and how long will you be able to make it up and down that loft ladder? (Me, about a week). And how many miles to and from town for victuals & supplies in all kinds of weather?

Old 07-07-2013, 04:33 PM

5,097 posts, read 6,326,610 times
My thoughts exactly, NEG.. I've seen articles about these houses and they always have those loft beds. How do you say..."I've fallen and can't get up". Or I'm dead. And was that $100,000 for a 3 bedroom?

Old 07-07-2013, 05:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by newenglandgirl View Post
Cute! but....

How old are you now, and how long will you be able to make it up and down that loft ladder? (Me, about a week). And how many miles to and from town for victuals & supplies in all kinds of weather?
Yup Yup.... Not for me. Maybe for someone else. At 51 with a disability that progresses, I have to find a place very different from a Tiny Home in the boonies.... and yet, it's a possibility for some.

bullie~

Old 07-09-2013, 08:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brava4 View Post
My thoughts exactly, NEG.. I've seen articles about these houses and they always have those loft beds. How do you say..."I've fallen and can't get up". Or I'm dead. And was that $100,000 for a 3 bedroom?
$99,000 for two cabins on SIX ACRES. The cabins are quite sweet, and yes, not for every woman who wants to retire, alone... But maybe, with a friend..... And there are some who are quite willing and excited about chucking everything, and living in the boonies, in a bare bones lifestyle.

I need more "comfort"... and yeah, no ladders, PLEASE. lol

bullie~

Old 07-09-2013, 11:25 AM

2,159 posts, read 1,652,268 times
I moved alone to a new place and now I'm thinking about moving again.

I would like to have few enough possessions that I could move easily and as often as I like. I can't afford to maintain a residence and travel, but I could live here and there and move on when I got ready if I could get rid of the rest of my stuff.

I spent a month in a sublet a couple of blocks from the beach in San Diego a few years ago. I found it on Craig's List, before CL was scarey , but I'm sure there are other sublet, housesitting, etc. opportunities out there. I still have excellent references from my work life.

The biggest problem, other than possessions, is the mindset that comes, for me, of not having a home. A place to go home to.

I wasn't going to post here until I had read the whole thread and made myself familiar with the people in it, but I will certainly help to keep it afloat now that it has come undone.

Old 07-09-2013, 11:31 AM

2,015 posts, read 3,169,882 times
Boogie'smom: I'm curious as to where you retired in middle Tennessee (Cookeville?), if you care to share. Also, why are you thinking of moving again? Is it related to the area you are, likes/dislikes? Thanks for any info. I've had an interest in the area for a while now.

Old 07-09-2013, 11:48 AM

2,159 posts, read 1,652,268 times
yes, I live in Cookeville. I went to school here at Tech in the 70's. I loved it, and as I have written elsewhere, I have planned for years to move back when I retired and take classes at the university.

I like it here. There is a nostalgia factor that pleases me. I have a very nice apartment in an older house with high ceilings and big rooms. Rent includes utilities, cable, and yard work. Nice, older neighborhood.

But I am restless. Not ready to be as settled as I am.

Old 07-09-2013, 12:03 PM

2,015 posts, read 3,169,882 times
I've been to Cookeville in the past and it seems like a nice small town with the necessary amentities and fairly close to Nashville, but I'm still in the pre-retirement phase. Always fun to hear other's opinions and experiences. You sound adventurous. Good for you!

Last edited by smpliving; 07-09-2013 at 12:13 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement