U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 07-09-2013, 01:52 PM
 
4,574 posts, read 7,060,700 times
Reputation: 4222

Advertisements

I heard a saying the other day that one can have roots or wings but not both. I am at heart a wings person, I've tried to have roots (but never have felt rooted anywhere) and my life just never turned out to be all that rooted deep down in my spirit. Maybe I just haven't found the right place yet. And I think some of us here are really roots people at heart that want to try being wings people. I thought it was an interesting way to look at things, especially when searching for places to move.

 
Old 07-09-2013, 02:00 PM
 
Location: WA
605 posts, read 556,658 times
Reputation: 2050
As this Thread has become "unsticked" want to see it continue to keep up to date with those who are not quite settled or who have found their niche, why you like your niche.

For myself, a woman on the left (west coast) all my life, DH and I were looking into moving to the south-NC? So we could travel to various southern, eastern states. Enjoyed the crafts, bluegrass music at a faire in Sylva, NC. Oh! Purchased some grits too !

Just may remain where I am, do some traveling---God willing and the creek don't rise !
 
Old 07-09-2013, 04:19 PM
 
Location: SW US
2,218 posts, read 2,036,207 times
Reputation: 3824
Quote:
Originally Posted by loveautumn View Post
I heard a saying the other day that one can have roots or wings but not both. I am at heart a wings person, I've tried to have roots (but never have felt rooted anywhere) and my life just never turned out to be all that rooted deep down in my spirit. Maybe I just haven't found the right place yet. And I think some of us here are really roots people at heart that want to try being wings people. I thought it was an interesting way to look at things, especially when searching for places to move.
I love this saying. I am definitely a wings person, and feel somewhat trapped in one place.
 
Old 07-09-2013, 04:20 PM
 
Location: Santaluz - San Diego, CA
4,485 posts, read 8,146,620 times
Reputation: 1976
Quote:
Originally Posted by sera View Post
As this Thread has become "unsticked" want to see it continue to keep up to date with those who are not quite settled or who have found their niche, why you like your niche.
Due to overwhelming demand, I've put the sticky back to this thread.

Moderator hat off.
 
Old 07-09-2013, 04:27 PM
 
Location: Near a river
16,042 posts, read 18,978,143 times
Reputation: 15649
Quote:
Originally Posted by earlyretirement View Post
Due to overwhelming demand, I've put the sticky back to this thread.

Moderator hat off.
Thanks. And I actually think it's a good idea to include men. Single men and women share many, but not all, of the same concerns. And many of us at some time will become single. What works well for couples does not always apply.
 
Old 07-09-2013, 04:32 PM
 
Location: Edina, MN, USA
6,954 posts, read 7,393,688 times
Reputation: 16283
My 2 cents:

If Caladium comes back, I would vote to put her index as a sticky and take this off. She put a lot of time into it and with little effort, we can keep this thread close to the top. There has not been much activity here for a long time.
 
Old 07-09-2013, 04:35 PM
 
Location: middle tennessee
1,925 posts, read 989,645 times
Reputation: 6931
Quote:
Originally Posted by loveautumn View Post
I heard a saying the other day that one can have roots or wings but not both. I am at heart a wings person, I've tried to have roots (but never have felt rooted anywhere) and my life just never turned out to be all that rooted deep down in my spirit. Maybe I just haven't found the right place yet. And I think some of us here are really roots people at heart that want to try being wings people. I thought it was an interesting way to look at things, especially when searching for places to move.

I lean towards wings but I feel the need for a nest, too.


The actual, physical move here was crazy. I closed on the house I sold the day I moved. It was the first day the new apartment was available. I had my lawyer do the closing, hired someone to be at the house to meet the movers that morning, and drove a couple of hundred miles to be at the new location before the movers arrived.

I think that cured me of wanting to move again for about three years, even if I had turned out to be miserable in my new home.

Luckily, I have been happy, and have gradually come to terms with being a widow. I do think I might be happier out of the small town south. When I was here before, I was a young college student. My neighbors in student housing had come from all over the world. I loved school.

This time is a different experience.
 
Old 07-09-2013, 04:38 PM
 
Location: middle tennessee
1,925 posts, read 989,645 times
Reputation: 6931
Quote:
Originally Posted by Umbria View Post
My 2 cents:

If Caladium comes back, I would vote to put her index as a sticky and take this off. She put a lot of time into it and with little effort, we can keep this thread close to the top. There has not been much activity here for a long time.

me, too. I still feel sad over that whole business.

were men or couples ever excluded? Was anyone made to feel unwelcome on this thread?

Last edited by newcomputer; 07-09-2013 at 04:42 PM.. Reason: saw what was happening while I was composing
 
Old 07-09-2013, 04:41 PM
 
Location: Near a river
16,042 posts, read 18,978,143 times
Reputation: 15649
Quote:
Originally Posted by Umbria View Post
My 2 cents:

If Caladium comes back, I would vote to put her index as a sticky and take this off. She put a lot of time into it and with little effort, we can keep this thread close to the top. There has not been much activity here for a long time.
I think any good threads will stay at the top, hers included. A "Women and Men Retiring Alone" thread is something that would not occur to anyone to google, and it's so nice to keep singles in mind when so many of the posts have to do with comfortably retired couples who often have options not always pertaining to the uncoupled. That sticky is a good one and its appeal can broaden once men feel welcomed onto it. That said, too bad there's only two stickies allowed.
 
Old 07-09-2013, 04:43 PM
 
Location: Edina, MN, USA
6,954 posts, read 7,393,688 times
Reputation: 16283
Quote:
Originally Posted by boogie'smom View Post
I lean towards wings but I feel the need for a nest, too.


The actual, physical move here was crazy. I closed on the house I sold the day I moved. It was the first day the new apartment was available. I had my lawyer do the closing, hired someone to be at the house to meet the movers that morning, and drove a couple of hundred miles to be at the new location before the movers arrived.

I think that cured me of wanting to move again for about three years, even if I had turned out to be miserable in my new home.

Luckily, I have been happy, and have gradually come to terms with being a widow. I do think I might be happier out of the small town south. When I was here before, I was a young college student. My neighbors in student housing had come from all over the world. I loved school.

This time is a different experience.
I had a similar experience when I moved from CO to here. My realtor had to appear at my closing here and I had to close there and then I had to wait for the movers to load there and then hightail it back here with 2 cats & a dog to meet the movers at this end. Nightmare. If I had to do that again I'd just head for the nearest bar.

I'm also a mix - feel a strong need to fly but also need a "home" to come to.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top