U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-09-2013, 04:45 PM

6,954 posts, read 7,388,974 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by newenglandgirl View Post
I think any good threads will stay at the top, hers included. A "Women and Men Retiring Alone" thread is something that would not occur to anyone to google, and it's so nice to keep singles in mind when so many of the posts have to do with comfortably retired couples who often have options not always pertaining to the uncoupled. That sticky is a good one and its appeal can broaden once men feel welcomed onto it. That said, too bad there's only two stickies allowed.
Hers was not a thread that people add to - it would not stay anywhere near the top.

Old 07-09-2013, 04:46 PM

953 posts, read 1,442,113 times
Quote:
Thanks. And I actually think it's a good idea to include men. Single men and women share many, but not all, of the same concerns. And many of us at some time will become single. What works well for couples does not always apply.
As a single man, I had read some of the posts but was hesitant to respond. This is a very good thread and I will post more later tonight. You are right, newendlandgirl, men and women share many of the same concerns.

Old 07-09-2013, 04:46 PM

16,042 posts, read 18,967,079 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Umbria View Post
Hers was not a thread that people add to - it would not stay anywhere near the top.
Oh you mean the thread that directed folks to various departments - I agree.

Old 07-09-2013, 04:47 PM

6,954 posts, read 7,388,974 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boogie'smom View Post
me, too. I still feel sad over that whole business.

were men or couples ever excluded? Was anyone made to feel unwelcome on this thread?
We had a couple guys that joined in - nobody was excluded.

Old 07-09-2013, 05:22 PM

4,485 posts, read 8,141,366 times
Quote:
My 2 cents:

If Caladium comes back, I would vote to put her index as a sticky and take this off. She put a lot of time into it and with little effort, we can keep this thread close to the top. There has not been much activity here for a long time.
Yes, in fact. That was my preference. I actually feel that is the more helpful thing to have a list of the most frequently read posts and I DM'ed her to see if she wanted to do that and I'd make this thread the #1 on that list. So that is always a possibility to change to later as I think that would benefit more people overall over the long-term.

Old 07-09-2013, 05:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Backintheville2 View Post
As a single man, I had read some of the posts but was hesitant to respond. This is a very good thread and I will post more later tonight. You are right, newendlandgirl, men and women share many of the same concerns.
IMO, the single (man or woman) retiree has a bunch of concerns in relocation such as:

- Moving alone sort of or very far from the support of family, whereas couples have each other

- Safety issues, as living alone poses a number of those

- Social issues and opportunities to meet people and make new friends, as some communities and retirement communities are geared toward couples

- If a single is moving somewhere seeking a particular culture that is supportive (being gay, an artist, having a disability, being a minority). Couples MAY have an easier time dealing with any of these.

The support that the women of the "retiring alone" thread has given each other over the years has been truly unique. Thanks to CD for providing that thread as a sticky, and welcome: men!

Old 07-09-2013, 11:38 PM

953 posts, read 1,442,113 times
Quote:
IMO, the single (man or woman) retiree has a bunch of concerns in relocation such as:

- Moving alone sort of or very far from the support of family, whereas couples have each other

- Safety issues, as living alone poses a number of those

- Social issues and opportunities to meet people and make new friends, as some communities and retirement communities are geared toward couples

- If a single is moving somewhere seeking a particular culture that is supportive (being gay, an artist, having a disability, being a minority). Couples MAY have an easier time dealing with any of these.

The support that the women of the "retiring alone" thread has given each other over the years has been truly unique. Thanks to CD for providing that thread as a sticky, and welcome: men!

The concerns you list are good ones, Newenglandgirl. The only family I will have will be my sister, her husband and children. I live in the same town with them now. I've posted in other threads, but I currently live with and am a caregiver for my parents, both in their 80's and in feeble health. I want to move at some point, and have done a lot of research into locations and have narrowed my list down to about 3 places.

As far as social issues and opportunities to meet people and make new friends, I would want to get involved in a local church to make new friends. I also have friends living all around the country who would hopefully want to visit me. But I also like spending time alone and would enjoy taking day trips on my own to discover a new part of the country.

I'm not looking for any particular type of culture. I have always liked a challenge and have on two previous occasions just packed up and moved to another part of the country, so I know it is something I could do. My thought is to move to a mid-sized city (to be near medical facilities) and buy a small condo. I would prefer not having to mow a yard, shovel snow or anything like that. I am open to a 55+ community. I don't golf but would prefer to be near a park or area where I could walk daily.

Old 07-10-2013, 06:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Backintheville2 View Post
The only family I will have will be my sister, her husband and children. I live in the same town with them now. I've posted in other threads, but I currently live with and am a caregiver for my parents, both in their 80's and in feeble health. I want to move at some point, and have done a lot of research into locations and have narrowed my list down to about 3 places.

As far as social issues and opportunities to meet people and make new friends, I would want to get involved in a local church to make new friends. I also have friends living all around the country who would hopefully want to visit me. But I also like spending time alone and would enjoy taking day trips on my own to discover a new part of the country.

I'm not looking for any particular type of culture. I have always liked a challenge and have on two previous occasions just packed up and moved to another part of the country, so I know it is something I could do. My thought is to move to a mid-sized city (to be near medical facilities) and buy a small condo. I would prefer not having to mow a yard, shovel snow or anything like that. I am open to a 55+ community. I don't golf but would prefer to be near a park or area where I could walk daily.
If your parents (or one of them) could have some years ahead of them, and you want some freedom now, could you move about 30 or 45 min. away to your own condo, or do you have to be there every day all day for them? If so, you could identify your place now and buy a condo now, retreating there whenever you can break away, and start getting to know people in that location so that when you do move for good you won't feel a stranger there. If you have a good relationship with your sister, maybe stay within driving distance.

Old 07-10-2013, 10:38 AM

6,119 posts, read 9,071,114 times
Quote:
My 2 cents:

If Caladium comes back, I would vote to put her index as a sticky and take this off. She put a lot of time into it and with little effort, we can keep this thread close to the top. There has not been much activity here for a long time.
What index??? This is the first thread I catch up on every day. I think there has been alot of activity on here and I thank you Early Retirement for putting us back.

Old 07-10-2013, 11:41 AM

1,569 posts, read 3,084,450 times
Definitely applicable to men too! I've got a friend in PA getting ready to retire and beginning the process of where to live.

Glad it's back to a sticky so new people check it out especially when we're all busy researching, moving, exploring. I am always subscribed and keep up with ya all even though I don't always post. Really enjoy reading what everyone is doing.

I'm a roots person with wing dreams. I picked buying a home over renting and having the money to travel. I pretty much put it all in my home. When you have limited resources you have to make choices. If I had more $ I'd travel too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement