U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-11-2013, 02:06 PM

1,569 posts, read 3,086,141 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Backintheville2 View Post
As a man, I do look at safety as a concern. That is one reason I want to avoid a large city and am concentrating on a small or mid-sized city. I realize there is crime everywhere and there are pros and cons to most locations. Other than living next to a Police station or in a gated community, I'm not sure what a person can do about making sure their area is safe. I have felt mostly safe everywhere I've lived...from small towns to large cities.
Good point -- I wasn't thinking safety as in crime stats for a town but naturally men wouldn't want to live in an area with high crime either. I was thinking more along the lines of not going alone late at night to a grocery store with a big parking lot or being always aware of your surroundings when walking alone in more isolated places. Violence against women is too common. Ten years ago I lived in a military base town and couldn't take a walk without some guy yelling or whistling at me. Creepy. I was old enough to be their mother. Not a town I would recommend because of it. I didn't feel safe.

I've been told you should talk to the local police when moving to a new city and ask about a specific neighborhood because you can't always tell. When I moved here I asked someone where the bad neighborhoods were and was told there weren't any. Naturally I was skeptical. It's just that it's not obvious here. It can be one block in an area that is otherwise okay. I've lived in a small town where we happened to pick the one block you didn't want to live. Didn't stay long after the hoodlums were thrown onto a car hood by the police (drug related.)

I never wanted to live in a gated community. I really enjoy my neighborhood now in spite of a few problems that happen no matter where you live (graffiti, a house burglary, car break-ins.) No problems since a police officer moved into the neighborhood and parks her cruiser all day in their driveway.

Old 07-11-2013, 03:15 PM

6 posts, read 8,445 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhxBarb View Post
I went to Greenville in April and its beautiful there. Am seeking an Osher program and there is one at Furman and also Clemson, which isn't that far away. I haven't found the free standing townhouse I would like to live in though. I also have not found any solo senior meet up groups there either. Most of the homes have huge lots, which is too much for me to take care of. The prices and taxes are wonderful though. Downtown and Falls River is unbelievable. So much beauty there. I am now between Greenville and Aiken. Have not heard about crime in Aiken, so have to look into that. Thank you !!
I have not been to Greenville yet but I have been to Aiken and I really liked Aiken (horse country and they have a good size horse rescue there) unfortunately the more I research it - seems drugs (meth) are moving into the area and they are having a lot of trouble with break-ins in subdivisions and in the Warrenville area just outside Aiken, though they do seem to be trying to keep the upper hand with neighborhood watches etc. If you live right in town I don't think it is as big an issue? It is a beautiful town and of course you have towns with good and bad areas but it is such a shame crime gets in no matter where you live.

Old 07-11-2013, 04:42 PM

16,042 posts, read 18,985,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Backintheville2 View Post
As a man, I do look at safety as a concern. That is one reason I want to avoid a large city and am concentrating on a small or mid-sized city. I realize there is crime everywhere and there are pros and cons to most locations. Other than living next to a Police station or in a gated community, I'm not sure what a person can do about making sure their area is safe. I have felt mostly safe everywhere I've lived...from small towns to large cities.
Safety issues involve all of us as we age. We are seen as easy targets. Often certain neighborhoods within large cities are safer crime-wise than are towns. When the economy gets bad, it's easier to carry off a crime in a rural or semi-rural area, fast getaway. Plus other basic issues like safe transportation (senior van), facilities that have easy access for all levels of ability, safe places like small parks to walk, and Senior Watch program, etc.

Old 07-11-2013, 06:26 PM

955 posts, read 1,444,322 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dancingearth View Post
Good point -- I wasn't thinking safety as in crime stats for a town but naturally men wouldn't want to live in an area with high crime either. I was thinking more along the lines of not going alone late at night to a grocery store with a big parking lot or being always aware of your surroundings when walking alone in more isolated places. Violence against women is too common. Ten years ago I lived in a military base town and couldn't take a walk without some guy yelling or whistling at me. Creepy. I was old enough to be their mother. Not a town I would recommend because of it. I didn't feel safe.

I've been told you should talk to the local police when moving to a new city and ask about a specific neighborhood because you can't always tell. When I moved here I asked someone where the bad neighborhoods were and was told there weren't any. Naturally I was skeptical. It's just that it's not obvious here. It can be one block in an area that is otherwise okay. I've lived in a small town where we happened to pick the one block you didn't want to live. Didn't stay long after the hoodlums were thrown onto a car hood by the police (drug related.)

I never wanted to live in a gated community. I really enjoy my neighborhood now in spite of a few problems that happen no matter where you live (graffiti, a house burglary, car break-ins.) No problems since a police officer moved into the neighborhood and parks her cruiser all day in their driveway.
What a great idea to talk to the local police when moving to a new area! I would think maybe a Real Estate Agent, but have been told that there are legal issues with them commenting on crime in certain neighborhoods. Seems baffling to me...looks like they would want someone to know the price of a home is that low b/c it's a crime-infested neighborhood.

About 20 years ago I was mugged while taking a walk one evening. About 4-5 teenaged boys took my wallet while a couple of them pounded me in the face with their fists. Got my nose bloodied up but they ran off once they had my wallet. Luckily I was only about a block from home. That put an end to walking every night after work! (And yes, I called the Police...they were no help at all.)

Old 07-11-2013, 10:36 PM

6,125 posts, read 9,088,474 times
OK, great idea to include men. Now could we please have some way to figure out which sex is posting? Also as I have said before, it would be great to know where some of these posters are living. JMHO

Old 07-12-2013, 12:06 AM

955 posts, read 1,444,322 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhxBarb View Post
OK, great idea to include men. Now could we please have some way to figure out which sex is posting? Also as I have said before, it would be great to know where some of these posters are living. JMHO
Sorry about that! I'm male, (Mike) age 55 and currently live in Stephenville, TX. The area currently at the top of my list of places I would be interested in retiring to alone would be the Tri-cities area of n.e. Tennessee, esp. the Bristol area.

Old 07-12-2013, 12:35 AM

13,322 posts, read 25,574,131 times
Regarding tiny houses, I love them, always have. There are some without the lofts/ladder. But the bigger issue is zoning- they usually have to be built or placed somewhere without zoning restrictions, especially those on wheels, which are regarded as RVs, not houses. So it's sort of a boonies or nothing proposition in a lot of places.

I will retire alone because my life has been alone, pretty much. I've never felt hopeful of finding life company and obviously, the odds go down the longer I go on. I do think some people who have been in a long/good marriage or relationship seem more able to take up another one relatively quickly- maybe they have that groove in their minds and emotions.

I certainly agree that those who retire in couples take a lot of what they need with them, even if not joined at the hip-type people. I have known men who retired/widowed and dated up a storm, often on dating sites. Women of the same age don't exactly have the same "yippee" experience. (All my subjective anecdotal observations).

Old 07-12-2013, 08:00 AM

1,926 posts, read 991,367 times
Does anyone still hear from Wisteria?

Old 07-12-2013, 09:01 AM

437 posts, read 556,005 times
I tent to view a man's safety very differently than a woman's safety. We're not old codgers here, and yet, defending ourselves against any sort of violence or sexual attack, is a greater risk for us women.

Not gonna beat a dead horse, and I thought the whole IDEA behind this thread was addressing a lot of female only issues, with regard to retiring as a SINGLE FEMALE, ON OUR OWN. It's like turning a female change of life thread, and all the challenges we face, into a men and women change of life thread. Really? The same? lol..... *raises hand to answer question.... "Um, NO ,they're not."* *Gets a gold star from the teacher*

Now that someone has decided to change it's course, I hope a more seasoned Forum FEMALE member starts another one, directed towards women, safety and retiring alone. I'll be keeping my eyes out for that.

Yes, men experience issues with regard to safety, and I'll bet they don't have the same trepidation while walking alone, day or night, in even the "safest" feeling environments. And then there's the whole "FIX IT" campaign. MOST women, and I'm sure we hate admitting it, cannot FIX things when they break, and physical strength does come into play with this as well! Sometimes it takes a man to wrench something we can't.... so we end up having to be able to have that sort of "help" available to us, whereas "most" men can do things involving tools, by themselves.

Again, we're not one foot in the grave here. I'm probably stronger physically and mentally than a lot of people my age and older, and might be able to kick and claw my way out of a scuffle, and I'd rather not try. And I certainly am a whiz with duct tape and maybe a screwdriver and wrench... *I DID replace a kitchen sink*... and after that, I'm lost. Women face DIFFERENT CHALLENGES. That's a fact, and I THOUGHT, the point of this thread.

*takes her stick and leaves the horse carcass*

bullie~

Old 07-12-2013, 09:10 AM

1,577 posts, read 2,204,023 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boogie'smom View Post
Does anyone still hear from Wisteria?
I haven't seen her on here for a very long time. She started a great thread and I hope it continues for both men and women.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement