U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-15-2013, 04:32 PM

1,579 posts, read 2,207,353 times

Advertisements

I've been living in a condo for the past 12 years and have been very happy. I'll admit, I've never been to a board meeting, but we get annual minutes of the meetings and their financial situation mailed to us after every meeting. When I bought the condo, my realtor said my particular HOA in this complex was very well managed financially, and we've never had to pay extra for new roofing, major re-landscaping, or tearing out of old driveways with new ones. However, some of the other HOA's in this complex did have to assess their homeowners for the same repairs. So I guess I just got lucky, as I really didn't know much about HOA's at the time I purchased the condo. In the past 5 years, I've had problems with my back, so it's nice to have snow removal taken care of, no worries about upkeep of the yard, and good neighbors. It's worked out very well for me.

Old 07-15-2013, 04:39 PM

4,485 posts, read 8,157,307 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iagal View Post
I've been living in a condo for the past 12 years and have been very happy. I'll admit, I've never been to a board meeting, but we get annual minutes of the meetings and their financial situation mailed to us after every meeting. When I bought the condo, my realtor said my particular HOA in this complex was very well managed financially, and we've never had to pay extra for new roofing, major re-landscaping, or tearing out of old driveways with new ones. However, some of the other HOA's in this complex did have to assess their homeowners for the same repairs. So I guess I just got lucky, as I really didn't know much about HOA's at the time I purchased the condo. In the past 5 years, I've had problems with my back, so it's nice to have snow removal taken care of, no worries about upkeep of the yard, and good neighbors. It's worked out very well for me.
That's great iagal. Also, being on the Board of several HOA's over the past many years I can also honestly say that the vast majority of people in buildings that I've owned in don't get involved at all. Most HOA meetings are completely empty with not many people besides the Board showing up. Sure, there are probably many buildings that are different but I own in several buildings and went to many HOA meetings where almost no one showed up.

In many properties people are quick to complain about the cost of their HOA fees going up but they don't want to invest ANY time at all in going to meetings.

But I agree it's nice as you mentioned when things are going well not having to worry about it. Most of the properties I own now the buildings are run properly and I don't have to go to HOA meetings or send my family members to go on my behalf. And I only send them when there is some important vote up for a vote.

Old 07-15-2013, 04:41 PM

437 posts, read 557,092 times
Default Women and the opposite sex, retiring alone. lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by earlyretirement View Post
Yes. This can be helpful but then again, it can also really be a nightmare as well. I've been on the Board of a few of the properties that I own and it almost makes enjoying the property impossible as you constantly have neighbors coming up to you pestering you with things.

They can be a real time suck as well. So yes, I do agree in principle it's a good way to know what is going on.... but be prepared to not really enjoy your time, privacy and anytime you see people it's pretty much going to be them complaining.

Plus, many HOA boards have a policy where you could get outvoted anyway and many of these HOA Boards have a position of privacy where they don't want you discussing private matters or how the vote came down. So you can totally be against a vote for something that you disagree with and they expect you to say, "The Board came up with X decision. It can be VERY frustrating so keep that in mind.
I posted a very similar response, right above yours. My experience with HOA's, IN FLORIDA, were horrible. And that was decades ago..... so to read the original response about the political b.s. STILL being part and parcel to being in a condo, has shadowed my decision to buy.

bullie~

Old 07-15-2013, 05:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bullie62 View Post
I posted a very similar response, right above yours. My experience with HOA's, IN FLORIDA, were horrible. And that was decades ago..... so to read the original response about the political b.s. STILL being part and parcel to being in a condo, has shadowed my decision to buy.

bullie~

Ah, I missed your response bullie. YES, Absolutely some buildings are very much like that. What I've found in the buildings that I own in is the buildings where the HOA is mostly consist of older, retired people can often be very difficult. Obviously it's not like this everywhere but I've found in many of these buildings/developments where there are many retired people, many of these people can be totally bored and have nothing to do and they want to interfere in every aspect of everyone else.

They have nothing better to do with their time so they almost invent things to argue or fight about. It was very annoying.

Some are really well run where owners genuinely care about the well being of the building. But some they just LOVE to fight and love drama.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fvansan View Post
I have reviewed similar posts, but they appear to be directed to or written by single retired women. This post is directed toward the best place for retired single men. First a bit about me.

I will be retiring in about 2 years. I have lived all over the East coast. Currently, I am in Naples Florida and I really don't like Florida at all. I have lived in central NY, Maine (Portland, nice but very expensive and Maine is not a very friendly place), Pennsylvania, Richmond, VA, and the coast of North Carolina. I am attracted to West Las Vegas, but I am worried that it may be quite difficult to make friends there. I like the dryness of the area. Also,it has reasonable housing prices and it is income tax free.

I am not crazy about the Texas culture. I no longer wish to live in a place where I have shovel snow either. California is too expensive and Oregon too. Washington and Oregon rains a lot or have gray skies.I like being around blue water lakes as opposed to brown ones. I seem to have eliminated so many places. I do wish to be in a friendly place where friendships go deeper than the social politeness of saying "Good Morning".

What are other single men thinking of retiring to and why?
I'm not single but I think this is a great question. But besides being tax free what else attracts you to Las Vegas? You mentioned dryness of the area. Is there anything else you like about it or I'm just curious what draws you to that area?

Does it come down to just affordability and tax issues? Because you mentioned you liked the "dryness" of Las Vegas but then you said you like being around blue water lakes.

What would you say are your top 5 Priorities of your new city? And in what order? (i.e. taxes, cost of real estate, COL, weather, etc)?

Old 07-15-2013, 05:52 PM

Quote:
Ah, I missed your response bullie. YES, Absolutely some buildings are very much like that. What I've found in the buildings that I own in is the buildings where the HOA is mostly consist of older, retired people can often be very difficult. Obviously it's not like this everywhere but I've found in many of these buildings/developments where there are many retired people, many of these people can be totally bored and have nothing to do and they want to interfere in every aspect of everyone else.

They have nothing better to do with their time so they almost invent things to argue or fight about. It was very annoying.

Some are really well run where owners genuinely care about the well being of the building. But some they just LOVE to fight and love drama.
Quote:
I'm not single but I think this is a great question. But besides being tax free what else attracts you to Las Vegas? You mentioned dryness of the area. Is there anything else you like about it or I'm just curious what draws you to that area?

Does it come down to just affordability and tax issues? Because you mentioned you liked the "dryness" of Las Vegas but then you said you like being around blue water lakes.

What would you say are your top 5 Priorities of your new city? And in what order? (i.e. taxes, cost of real estate, COL, weather, etc)?

Oh it's EVERYTHING in me to stop saying this, but Imma gonna anyway..... I would get on that board JUST to keep the control freaks in a panic! lol.... *for the record, AGAIN, "bullie" is for a love of BULLDOGS, not being a "BULLY". BIG diff.....

And yet, being an Irish Taurean, I rarely back down. And LOVE when my opinion makes people uncomfortable, because that's when they're forced to THINK.

Absolute fact is, at the place I am in my life, having to fight for it, at times, I don't have the energy for the "Condo Commandos", nor their overblown egos. For me, renting seems in my future.

DANGIT... I really wanted to live in a Tiny Home when I was ready.

In response to the gent wanting to look at Vegas, I'm interested in the answers to "Earl E's" questions. I too have felt the same things you mentioned. *though I have no idea Maine was unfriendly*

Vegas was so dry when I've visited.... I would have to sleep with a wet washcloth over my face. TRUTH. Not pretty, but true. lol...

I suppose a humidifier would work better, and not squelch any love life I hope to embark on... lol

And how car dependent are the areas one would want to live in....and this is only about MY needs, because I'm VERY car dependent. Hell, I'd never want to wait for a bus in what FEELS like hell.

Sitting by for some serious responses about the gentleman's questions.... *thank you, Earl E., for responding and keeping the thread alive!*

bullie~

Old 07-15-2013, 06:10 PM

16,042 posts, read 19,004,474 times
Quote:
Having lived in S.Florida, back in the late 80's, and renting a condo, I saw firsthand the "politics" that are involved in condo boards. They called them "Condo Commandos" down there. lol Ft. Lauderdale was the worst, BACK THEN. *I have no clue how things are, now*.

Maybe an apartment is the way to go.... as long as the tenants are like minded.... meaning quiet, respectful, take pride in their living area and there's not a new tenant every year. Oh lordie... that would drive me nuts. Talk about not being able to get to know your neighbors.

bullie~

Where I was growing up in a clean inner-city neighborhood (waaaay before the days of assisted living and 55+ gated communities), the elderly rented apartments in multi-family houses, usually the first floor. These apts typically had high ceilings, fireplaces, well insulated, and a screened or open front porch from which to view the goings-on around them. Landlords often lived on site and kept the properties pristine, often with beautiful side gardens. I now have a friend who has such a "house" apartment in Historic Deerfield. She is on a lovely historic tree-lined street and is a docent at Historic Deerfield museums.

If I am ever to live alone, I think that realistically this would be my choice. I don't want to live around just my age group. I love diversity in people and activities and want to be part of the everyday world.

Old 07-15-2013, 06:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by newenglandgirl View Post
Where I was growing up in a clean inner-city neighborhood (waaaay before the days of assisted living and 55+ gated communities), the elderly rented apartments in multi-family houses, usually the first floor. These apts typically had high ceilings, fireplaces, well insulated, and a screened or open front porch from which to view the goings-on around them. Landlords often lived on site and kept the properties pristine, often with beautiful side gardens. I now have a friend who has such a "house" apartment in Historic Deerfield. She is on a lovely historic tree-lined street and is a docent at Historic Deerfield museums.

If I am ever to live alone, I think that realistically this would be my choice. I don't want to live around just my age group. I love diversity in people and activities and want to be part of the everyday world.

*OO OO.... RAISES HAND*!!! ME TOO!! Would you share what part of the New England coast, a woman such as MOI, or anyone, for that matter, would look, for such a lovely sounding place!???

*or PM me if you would rather keep things about her whereabouts and YOURS, private. Due respect will follow*

bullie~

Old 07-15-2013, 06:35 PM

Quote:

Absolute fact is, at the place I am in my life, having to fight for it, at times, I don't have the energy for the "Condo Commandos", nor their overblown egos. For me, renting seems in my future.

DANGIT... I really wanted to live in a Tiny Home when I was ready.

In response to the gent wanting to look at Vegas, I'm interested in the answers to "Earl E's" questions. I too have felt the same things you mentioned. *though I have no idea Maine was unfriendly*

Vegas was so dry when I've visited.... I would have to sleep with a wet washcloth over my face. TRUTH. Not pretty, but true. lol...

I suppose a humidifier would work better, and not squelch any love life I hope to embark on... lol

And how car dependent are the areas one would want to live in....and this is only about MY needs, because I'm VERY car dependent. Hell, I'd never want to wait for a bus in what FEELS like hell.

Sitting by for some serious responses about the gentleman's questions.... *thank you, Earl E., for responding and keeping the thread alive!*

bullie~
Absolutely you're welcome bullie. I think your HOA question was a great one. Especially for those retiring and not knowing anything about it. (Many don't know anything about it). I don't want to give the wrong idea that all HOA's are bad because they clearly are not. In fact, I'd say that probably more HOA's are run properly vs. improperly.

As well, owning in an HOA building/community can and does make sense for many retirees. It just all depends how well it's run, what amenities are included that you will use and also what the monthly fees are. For many retirees, they can and will make a lot of sense with the building doing everything.

I've developed buildings before and as mentioned, I've been active on the Boards of several HOA's before. I don't have the energy for it now. But doing so gave me great insight about them. I've seen some shocking things.

And I'm NOT the shy type either and made some big waves before. For example, in one building that I own several properties I noticed the HOA fees kept going up. Well, I had my accountant do a forensic audit of the HOA bills. I especially had her research certain line items. For example, "cleaning supplies" was especially high. When I inquired about it they told me that they bought their cleaning supplies for the building in bulk for the year and got a BIG discount doing so. I asked to see the cleaning supplied that were supposedly all locked up.

Well, sure enough there were no supplies. They claimed it was stolen. So then my accountant does some more investigating and the company they claims to have purchased it from went out of business over a decade ago! I ended up getting almost the entire Board replaced.

Again, not saying something like that is common but DO take the time to go through the annual reports and monthly expense statements. I've typically found that many people do not.

Quote:
Originally Posted by newenglandgirl View Post

Absolutely 100% agree! I wouldn't want to live in a community soley for seniors. I think that would depress me a bit. I love being around young families, young kids, and people at all stages of life. I realize not everyone likes that but I totally agree with this.

The community where I live originally was intended for seniors and the developers imagined it would be a retirement type community. Well, it couldn't be more different than how they envisioned it. Young families with young kids started moving in and it became a really wonderful place to raise families. Now, almost 50% of families have kids under 14 years old here. I love it!

And as far as the questions about what the priorities are for where you will retire. I think people really need to specify or at least be honest with themselves what the biggest priorities are. I've met some people that give me criteria for where they want to live when ultimately it really only comes down to taxes/affordability. So I think it's worthwhile to be honest with oneself and come up with a realistic list of what the most important things are in the order of importance.

Old 07-15-2013, 07:21 PM

Quote:
And as far as the questions about what the priorities are for where you will retire. I think people really need to specify or at least be honest with themselves what the biggest priorities are. I've met some people that give me criteria for where they want to live when ultimately it really only comes down to taxes/affordability. So I think it's worthwhile to be honest with oneself and come up with a realistic list of what the most important things are in the order of importance.
I want you to adopt me.

bullie~

Old 07-15-2013, 07:39 PM
mlb

3,196 posts, read 2,866,336 times
Las Vegas has been through so much boom and bust - I'd be afraid to live there.

Is West Las Vegas near Henderson? Then you might like Lake Las Vegas | Developed with an emphasis on privacy and serenity

I visited there while at a conference.... and it was just too sterile for me.

We drive through Vegas on our way to LA to see family and friends. It's just too barren for me to ever consider it permanently.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement