Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-20-2013, 03:03 AM

7,201 posts, read 14,983,104 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlb View Post

We drive through Vegas on our way to LA to see family and friends. It's just too barren for me to ever consider it permanently.

I had a cousin who lived there for about 10 years. The summer heat was a killer. It's no place for anyone who likes the outdoors in any way, shape or form. He finally packed it in and moved back to central NYS. If you're a total indoor person, the heat probably wont matter much.

Old 07-23-2013, 03:54 PM

7,840 posts, read 9,193,944 times
Another option for senior housing is coop apartments. There are a lot of them in NYS, primarily in the NYC area but there are also some in Upstate cities. With a coop, you buy "shares" of the building and you then get an apartment for which you pay rent that's considerably less than it would rent for at market rate. Frequently utilities are included in the rent. I have a good friend who has lived in her coop apartment right in downtown Albany for almost 25 years, having bought into it in her fifties as she planned for retirement.

In NYS, many of these apartment buildings have been built/rehabbed with state and federal money, so they are required to have professional management which has to report to the Division of Housing and Community Renewal as well as a tenant advisory board. That leads to much better management than you sometimes get in condos.

Old 07-23-2013, 04:48 PM

437 posts, read 649,372 times
I like the idea of a coop, and have been looking in areas I'd like to move, and alas, they are few and far between, outside of large metro areas.

bullie~

Old 07-27-2013, 12:37 PM

7,572 posts, read 9,015,656 times
Default Travel opportunities

https://www.women-traveling.com/Trav...9/Default.aspx

This looks like an exciting opportunity for some of you. This group would be fun to travel with and for some of you, being a tour leader would be ideal.

They go to lots of fun places all over the world. I plan to take one of their trips once I get settled at my next stop.

Old 07-27-2013, 12:49 PM

2,790 posts, read 6,125,109 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Umbria View Post
https://www.women-traveling.com/Trav...9/Default.aspx

This looks like an exciting opportunity for some of you. This group would be fun to travel with and for some of you, being a tour leader would be ideal.

They go to lots of fun places all over the world. I plan to take one of their trips once I get settled at my next stop.
Thank you so much for the link!

Old 07-27-2013, 01:01 PM

2,159 posts, read 1,662,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by popcorn247 View Post
Thank you so much for the link!

Yes, it is a great link! I wish I was 10 years younger.

Old 07-27-2013, 01:31 PM

7,572 posts, read 9,015,656 times
You may want to put yourself on their internet subscription list. I've been on for years and it's fun to see where they're going. You'll also be alerted to any new opportunities.

Boogie'smom - read their site. Women of all ages go on these trips and even the tour leaders aren't away that much.

Old 07-28-2013, 07:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Umbria View Post
You may want to put yourself on their internet subscription list. I've been on for years and it's fun to see where they're going. You'll also be alerted to any new opportunities.

Boogie'smom - read their site. Women of all ages go on these trips and even the tour leaders aren't away that much.
I'm in no way under aging myself here, lol, and wanted to share that my mother used to used groups such as this, and traveled extensively.... and has amazing memories, and some stories about what to avoid, which usually involved personalities.

bullie~

Old 08-03-2013, 08:41 AM

23,170 posts, read 26,179,590 times
I am not alone but open this occasionally to see who has what to say.
I do have a seriously ill husband....enough so that we discuss 'what if's" quite a bit.
What if I'm left alone and more seriously, what if he is.

So thinking ahead isn't really as gruesome as it may seem....it's more an attempt to have a plan in place so nothing is done at exactly the time when big decisions shouldn't be made.

For this thread, regardless of how much I've tried to project, Still can't figure out whether to stay "home' in NY where all the family is and everything is familiar or to make Florida my base, where there are more friends and a bigger social life.......or to go off to someplace entirely different.

Both places aren't as active as I think I want but then I think...."Yeah...but I'm not as active as I think I want either"

Old 08-03-2013, 11:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by old_cold View Post
Still can't figure out whether to stay "home' in NY where all the family is and everything is familiar or to make Florida my base, where there are more friends and a bigger social life.......or to go off to someplace entirely different.

Both places aren't as active as I think I want but then I think...."Yeah...but I'm not as active as I think I want either"
I'd be asking myself which group I couldn't live without, or rather, would make me the happiest. Family or friends? And a social life is important. Family usually doesn't give us much of that... except for holidays. *I'm making a generalization, so please forgive*

I'd stay around friends, most definitely. And I'm sorry to read about your husband....

bullie~
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement