U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-29-2013, 08:22 PM

4,409 posts, read 5,934,055 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gandalara View Post
While you're out here, you might want to also check out some of the 55+ places in North San Diego county - same caliber of place, but usually less $$ than Laguna There are several in or near Oceanside and Carlsbad. And more further inland.
I don't really want to go any further south than LWV since I still have friends in Huntington and Seal Beach. The thing I like about LWV is its size. I'm not crazy about living in HOAs, but especially in smaller HOAs where everyone knows everyone's business, and there are only a few people willing to run for the Board or help with the community. I like the fact that LWV is its own city of 16,000 people, with tons of clubs and activities, as well as a beautiful location. If you know of anything similar to that in the area, let me know.

Old 08-29-2013, 08:32 PM

437 posts, read 556,781 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthRabbit View Post
depends... usually they are houses that are privately held in deed by occupant + a monthly fee for HOA (varies from $20/month to $800/month)

I am Senior Co-op centric.... buy a share and then SMALL monthly payments for facilities, Shares are open market 're - sell - able'. Of course there are EXPENSIVE co-ops and PITA co-ops. Just as there are 'Neighbors'...

Usually those under age 55 are with spouse. Issue for some is 'boomerang' kids.

We need to talk.

bullie~

*and I'm serious. DM me when you can.

Old 08-30-2013, 05:52 AM

16,042 posts, read 18,994,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avalon08 View Post
Thanks! I'll be looking at Laguna Woods (the huge over-55 community). Are you guys familiar, or know anyone who lives there?
My CA sister used to live in Laguna Beach area. I'll ask her.

Old 08-30-2013, 07:51 PM

6,130 posts, read 9,095,981 times
Isn't Laguna Beach the one where you need a certain income and also a certain amount of money (liquid) in the bank? I never heard of this before, so I think its very weird. I guess they want to be sure you can maintain your home??

Old 08-31-2013, 12:39 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
22,652 posts, read 40,020,325 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhxBarb View Post
Isn't Laguna Beach the one where you need a certain income and also a certain amount of money (liquid) in the bank? I never heard of this before, so I think its very weird. I guess they want to be sure you can maintain your home??
actually, not so strange. Many 55+ HOA's have a 'net worth /expendable income' requirement. Tough on a Shoestring. I would guess that Del Webb has a requirement. I find the folks I stay with in those HOA's are pretty well off, and usually with pension / substantial income stream.

Part of the fear is... if you have to LEAVE the HOA for a care center, they don't want to wonder if you will keep current on HOA fees!

Old 09-02-2013, 07:23 AM

205 posts, read 360,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avalon08 View Post
I came onto this thread in 2008 when I was longing to move back to Southern CA, where I had lived for two years on a corporate relocation. At that time, it didn't work out, but my life has changed dramatically since then. Now, I have inherited my Mom's (over-55) condo in FL, and spent four months there this winter and had a wonderful time. So many nice people -- very busy social life. I thought I had made my final decision about moving there, but I am worried that the summers/humidity will get on my nerves. So guess where I'm going next week for an exploratory visit? CA! I know, in my head, the best financial move would be FL. But my heart wants to go back to CA, where the weather was just ideal. Sometimes you just feel like throwing caution to the wind and doing what makes you happy! I'll let you know how it goes.
Hi! We joined at about the same time. Haven't been on in a while but see lots of new members and changes. Still in FL too and have been here way too long - the summers are a killer - don't enjoy being outside anymore unless it's the beach. My son lives in CA ((Bay Area) and when my daughter and family come back to the states from Australia they are going to be there too. They all want me to move there as well. Since I have no family here, it's where I want to be as well. Like you, I know in my head the best financial move would be to stay here. I really do like my town home but can hug it and hold it and watch my new granddaughter grow up here. You will have to keep us/me posted on your exploratory visit. You will really be a big help to me in making my "throw caution to the wind and doing what makes you happy" decision too!

Old 09-02-2013, 08:26 PM

4,409 posts, read 5,934,055 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by karcon View Post
Hi! We joined at about the same time. Haven't been on in a while but see lots of new members and changes. Still in FL too and have been here way too long - the summers are a killer - don't enjoy being outside anymore unless it's the beach. My son lives in CA ((Bay Area) and when my daughter and family come back to the states from Australia they are going to be there too. They all want me to move there as well. Since I have no family here, it's where I want to be as well. Like you, I know in my head the best financial move would be to stay here. I really do like my town home but can hug it and hold it and watch my new granddaughter grow up here. You will have to keep us/me posted on your exploratory visit. You will really be a big help to me in making my "throw caution to the wind and doing what makes you happy" decision too!
Hi Karcon -- yes, I remember you, especially after seeing "Winter Park FL"! Wasn't there a BF in the mix, or am I thinking of someone else? I sure don't have that worry, LOL! I will certainly let you know how the exploratory visit goes this weekend. I can't wait! Speaking of the Laguna Woods asset requirements, they do have them and I'm not quite sure I meet them. But, one thing at a time. If you moved to CA, would you be getting your own place or living with your children? And if things got tough financially, would "living with the kids" be a fallback plan? Because, I don't have that. Anyway, it is good to hear from you!

Old 09-03-2013, 09:46 AM

384 posts, read 878,040 times
Karcon and Avalon08- just stopped by to see if there was anything interesting or new ...and it was fun to read your posts about how things have evolved for each of you over the years since we first started the "search"

I also laughed as I have ventured down a path that I would have never considered smart to do - lol. Recently I said that a lifetime of restraint was blown to smithereens in nine short months. Almost completed with construction of a new house in one of the least friendly retirement states (in every aspect ie financial, weather) ...but my daughter and grandkids are there and it just felt right. The house is for all of us - with a MIL space for me to come and go - and ultimately they will take over the mortgage.

I now live in one of the top friendly states for retirement ( except the weather .. which I pretty much love for most of the year). I have rich and pleasurable connections here as well - and everything about it is home for me. I plan to continue sending time here - however it will be on more portable basis. For one more year I do plan to keep my own place here ( I am still working).

If I can dig out of the crazy financial situation, then I may also RV for a bit. One can always dream.

What I can say to both of you is that I wouldn't hesitate to head for CA! I would have loved it if my daughter settled there. It is my second choice for perfection in a place to live. With one life to live - how great to experience that if you get the chance. Earthquakes aside, of course!

Old 09-03-2013, 10:45 AM

3,745 posts, read 4,222,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by miruca View Post
Karcon and Avalon08- just stopped by to see if there was anything interesting or new ...and it was fun to read your posts about how things have evolved for each of you over the years since we first started the "search"

I also laughed as I have ventured down a path that I would have never considered smart to do - lol. Recently I said that a lifetime of restraint was blown to smithereens in nine short months. Almost completed with construction of a new house in one of the least friendly retirement states (in every aspect ie financial, weather) ...but my daughter and grandkids are there and it just felt right. The house is for all of us - with a MIL space for me to come and go - and ultimately they will take over the mortgage.

I now live in one of the top friendly states for retirement ( except the weather .. which I pretty much love for most of the year). I have rich and pleasurable connections here as well - and everything about it is home for me. I plan to continue sending time here - however it will be on more portable basis. For one more year I do plan to keep my own place here ( I am still working).

If I can dig out of the crazy financial situation, then I may also RV for a bit. One can always dream.

What I can say to both of you is that I wouldn't hesitate to head for CA! I would have loved it if my daughter settled there. It is my second choice for perfection in a place to live. With one life to live - how great to experience that if you get the chance. Earthquakes aside, of course!
Hi Miruca,

I'm really confused. Where is your "intergenerational" home and where are you?

Old 09-03-2013, 12:35 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
22,652 posts, read 40,020,325 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by miruca View Post
...I also laughed as I have ventured down a path that I would have never considered smart to do - lol. Recently I said that a lifetime of restraint was blown to smithereens in nine short months.

...If I can dig out of the crazy financial situation, then I may also RV for a bit. One can always dream.

...!
Oh My... !!! Yet ANOTHER retiree person on a life 'Detour"...

Remember my econo travel !!! it is superb for shoestring retirees! ($10 -$20 / night worldwide).
Hospitality exchange - Wikitravel A few great choices, but does not include my favorites.

I use my 50 mpg VW's that can burn FREE cooking oil for fuel. I bought the cars for under $2000 (many for under $100). I get my tires at the junkyard for $5. each; often nearly new

or I 'Fly / Drive' via SWA and Priceline / Hotwire $10 / day cars.

I eat on $3/ day by hitting grocery stores in AM when the produce manager is 'culling'.

I always have to take a trip to regain sanity. But coming home is hard.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement