U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-20-2013, 07:53 AM

16,042 posts, read 19,017,552 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minervah View Post
I would not recommend Portland OR unless you had quite a bit of money for your retirement. There is senior housing but according to a friend who recently signed up for several units, there is a seven year waiting list. Those that are available at low rents are very tiny and not always in the greatest areas. Rents in general and the COL is pretty high. There is not much in the way of inexpensive entertainment although there are some nice senior centers. The public transportation system works best for those who live in the more upscale areas.

These are big reasons I had intended to escape last spring but a health setback prevented me from doing so. I hope to regroup next spring to a much more affordable city, Cleveland OH.

I won't get into politics but let's just say the way this city is run is not in the best interests of older people.
A dear friend of mine lives in a Portland senior housing buidling and it doesn't sound nice. Her place is very tiny and not that well appointed for elders. Why choose less in a high-demand city when you might be able to find so much more in another area with just as many amenities and more? There is a lot of Lutheran senior housing in the Midwest that looks quite nice online anyway. You do not have to be of any particular religion.

Old 09-21-2013, 09:36 AM

16,042 posts, read 19,017,552 times
Has anyone heard from Bullie, wondering if she's okay.

Bullie, if you're on here, please let us know what's going on. Your last post sounded worrisome.

Old 09-21-2013, 04:27 PM

437 posts, read 557,573 times
I'm here. Thank you to one of you, for letting me know someone was thinking about me. Means the world.

Life has become harder than I'd ever imagined I'd have to experience.... and yet, I'm still here.

I'm a tough broad but a softy, like melting ice cream, most of the time...... and all of what I'm going through has taken quite a toll on me.

Hospitalized. Came home to an AC condenser unit stolen off the side of my home. Thank goodness it was MY unit, and not a tenant, but still, it was 90 degrees at the time.

So much going on right now, it would literally take a novelette to fill you all in.

Short story? House is for sale, still fighting for SSDI approval, no CLUE where I'd live if house sells before SSDI comes through *FINGERS CROSSED*, and when all is said and done, where do I go, and what sort of money is left from home sale, to afford to buy???? And where????

Oy, my head is spinning like Carrie without the icky parts involved..... *unless I'm spinning with vertigo*

I am worried. I have no clue where I'm going to go if my house sells before SSDI is approved *spits between two fingers*, and no idea what's going to come of me when all is said and done, 'cause I have no CLUE what will be left from the sale of the house, for me to move out of IL and Tax Hell.

Yeah, I'm going through that, and so much more, that I won't post about on this public site. My friends here and off site know my scary hell.

Fear is a monster. I try not to feed it. And sometimes.... it seems to feed OFF me, without me doing anything.

Love ya'll for caring. xoxox And Minerva.... I wish I could handle Winters and cold and grey.... and I need SUN and 75 degrees and "Main Street USA".... with a below poverty level COL.... (mine)

bullie~

Old 09-21-2013, 05:03 PM

21,698 posts, read 23,717,890 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newenglandgirl View Post
A dear friend of mine lives in a Portland senior housing buidling and it doesn't sound nice. Her place is very tiny and not that well appointed for elders. Why choose less in a high-demand city when you might be able to find so much more in another area with just as many amenities and more? There is a lot of Lutheran senior housing in the Midwest that looks quite nice online anyway. You do not have to be of any particular religion.
That's it exactly.

I don't think Portland treats its seniors all that well. At least those without substantial funds. While there is some new and nicer senior housing it is expensive and in order to qualify for any subsidies one has to wait years. I have been through this both with a resident friend and an out-of-town friend who thought he might want to move here. He was actually called for a nicer newer place he could afford but when he figured out how high the cost of living was in other regards, he determined he would be no better off than he was in Oakland CA where he is living now.

We seniors on limited funds must think outside the box. There are many places we can go that have good services for us. They may not be the sunny climates or more popular places we hear we are suppose to go but they can suit our other needs just as well. We shouldn't be looking at where we can't go but at where we can go.

Old 09-21-2013, 05:11 PM

21,698 posts, read 23,717,890 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bullie62 View Post
I'm here. Thank you to one of you, for letting me know someone was thinking about me. Means the world.

Life has become harder than I'd ever imagined I'd have to experience.... and yet, I'm still here.

I'm a tough broad but a softy, like melting ice cream, most of the time...... and all of what I'm going through has taken quite a toll on me.

Hospitalized. Came home to an AC condenser unit stolen off the side of my home. Thank goodness it was MY unit, and not a tenant, but still, it was 90 degrees at the time.

So much going on right now, it would literally take a novelette to fill you all in.

Short story? House is for sale, still fighting for SSDI approval, no CLUE where I'd live if house sells before SSDI comes through *FINGERS CROSSED*, and when all is said and done, where do I go, and what sort of money is left from home sale, to afford to buy???? And where????

Oy, my head is spinning like Carrie without the icky parts involved..... *unless I'm spinning with vertigo*

I am worried. I have no clue where I'm going to go if my house sells before SSDI is approved *spits between two fingers*, and no idea what's going to come of me when all is said and done, 'cause I have no CLUE what will be left from the sale of the house, for me to move out of IL and Tax Hell.

Yeah, I'm going through that, and so much more, that I won't post about on this public site. My friends here and off site know my scary hell.

Fear is a monster. I try not to feed it. And sometimes.... it seems to feed OFF me, without me doing anything.

Love ya'll for caring. xoxox And Minerva.... I wish I could handle Winters and cold and grey.... and I need SUN and 75 degrees and "Main Street USA".... with a below poverty level COL.... (mine)

bullie~
I hope you are feeling better soon. I know that isn't much but better is whatever level better is for you. That's what I tell people when I have a flareup of Sarcoid. "I felt worse, but now I am back to my "normal" which is better but still nothing to brag about." I think you get my meaning.

Anyway, about the weather thing I understand. So warmer climate for you. I don't know if this has been suggested because I haven't been able to read all the posts so sorry if I am repeating but I have heard that some smaller cities in the SW are not too terribly expensive and are of course warm. Have you looked into those? I have heard there are some really nice ones. If I didn't have the opposite problem of yours, can't take the heat, I would be looking there myself.

I know the Chicago area can be brutal weather wise. I grew up in the city.

Old 09-21-2013, 05:23 PM

967 posts, read 921,404 times
I haven't been on this thread for quite a while......but like to check in every now and then. I'm currently in the house I bought in Az about 3 1/2 years ago. Have been trying to figure out what to do. I felt compelled to post because of what bullie said.....I know what it's like to be stalked by fear of the future. I'd guess many of us do. There are times it is easy to spiral down into a state of terror for fear of what will happen in the future, being afraid of where I'll end up, what will happen, where to go.....what to do when the money is all gone and I can't qualify for SSDI (not enough or correct quarters of work history). I've been hoping that Obamacare will help me (and it looks like it will help considerably if it isn't somehow done away with....now House decided not to fund it) so am anxiously awaiting news on it. My health insurance went up to $895 a month. Last year I spent over half my income on healthcare costs, leaving me with approx $850 a month to live on. I have savings to draw from for the time being, so I'm okay for now. But it's going so fast!!! All that is just to explain that I can understand the terror of an uncertain future, bullie, although sounds like yours is a much more immediate need than mine, for which I am sorry. It doesn't help when we let ourselves descend into that pit of fear and uncertainty. I try very hard to tell myself that whatever it takes, I will survive. May not be in the way I'd like, but I can adapt. It makes me angry when people object to helping those worse off, saying there are plenty of safety nets already in place.....I know far too many who can refute that assertion with their live's misery.....but sorry. I meant this to be encouraging. You will draw upon your strength and intelligence and manage to cope, try not to worry too much. I know that's easier said than done, though. hang in there, dear heart!

Old 09-21-2013, 05:31 PM

967 posts, read 921,404 times
bullie,
Just wanted to add that I've been looking at small condos in Sun City, Az. There are good points and not so good ones about living there, but overall I think it's a feasible situation. Property taxes are very low and HOA fees not too bad, considering what you get. I've seen some even in the high 50's to low 60's in price. 2 bedroom, LR/DR, kitchen with eating area, enclosed lanai, small patio area, entry way and attached garage, plus 1 1/2 to 2 bathrooms. Obviously dated, from late 1960's to 1970's, but still a possibility. I've been thinking along those lines. Prices are going up, however, and getting harder to find in that range. Just wanted to mention it to you, as it's definitely a sunny, warm (HOT!!!!!) climate. And, I'm from the Chicagoland area most of my life, too!

Old 09-21-2013, 08:36 PM

3,746 posts, read 4,228,956 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bullie62 View Post

bullie~
I really wish I had more info to try and help you. I noticed on another thread you hired "the cowboys" to handle your social security case. It also appears that you claimed an onset date of disability prior to turning age 50. Reaching age 50 moves you into a more favorable category for "winning" benefits. Of course, your ability to engage in a regular full time job also depends on your prior work experience (skilled/unskilled jobs in prior 15 years) educational level, and remaining functional capacity. etc., etc.

If I were you, I'd call "the cowboys" and see if they have performed any work on your claim, including obtaining additional medical/hospital records, medical opinions (the more the better), and drafting a good prehearing memorandum that clearly lays out your case and references the exhibit numbers that supports each of the criteria that must be met to prove you are unable to engage in substantial, gainful activity. After this is accomplished, the cowboys can submit these docs and ask for an "on the record" decision.

In addition, you can also call your local congressional representative's office and ask to speak with the staffer who assists with Social Security cases. The staffer is able to get the case expedited. You will be asked to sign a release so the staffer can communicate with your attorney.

BTW, how many dogs do you have and how much do they weigh? Do you care for them on a daily basis? Do you walk your dogs? Do you take them to the vet?

Unrelated to SSDIB: Have you considered whether it is necessary to pay off your debts before purchasing a new home?

Old 09-21-2013, 11:36 PM

4,412 posts, read 5,944,251 times
Hi all, I just wanted to give you an update on my exploratory trip to Laguna Woods (retirement community in Southern CA). First off, the area is beautiful, with hills, large trees and views of the mountains. The community itself is very nicely kept, with units running the gamut from single homes to small condos. From what I could see, the age range is "older", as in, I didn't see a lot of baby-boomer types walking around. I looked at about six co-ops for sale in the $175K price range. There really isn't much available lower than that, unless you're willing to climb stairs to a second-floor unit. Most of the units in that price range were dated; old cabinets, fixtures, carpet or flooring, etc. The condo fees are high -- about $540/mo. You need to have assets of $125K plus the price of the unit, and a certain monthly income, though I can't remember what it was.

If I could, I would move there in a heartbeat, mostly for the climate. I know, in a community of 18,000 residents, I'd be able to make new friends, and they have hundeds of clubs and activities to choose from. So it comes down to -- I know it would be a risky financial move, but should I throw caution to the wind? After I came back to reality, I ran the numbers some more, and I just don't think I can swing it. I'd have to get a mortgage, in addition to the high HOA fees, and I think it would be too risky on my (small) retirement income. I wouldn't have anything for emergencies and would constantly be worried about blowing through my retirement savings. So, for now, it does not appear that I'll be able to "live the dream"....

Old 09-22-2013, 09:04 AM

1,236 posts, read 3,613,003 times
Default THANK YOU Avalon08

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avalon08 View Post
Hi all, I just wanted to give you an update on my exploratory trip to Laguna Woods (retirement community in Southern CA). First off, the area is beautiful, with hills, large trees and views of the mountains. The community itself is very nicely kept, with units running the gamut from single homes to small condos. From what I could see, the age range is "older", as in, I didn't see a lot of baby-boomer types walking around. I looked at about six co-ops for sale in the $175K price range. There really isn't much available lower than that, unless you're willing to climb stairs to a second-floor unit. Most of the units in that price range were dated; old cabinets, fixtures, carpet or flooring, etc. The condo fees are high -- about $540/mo. You need to have assets of $125K plus the price of the unit, and a certain monthly income, though I can't remember what it was.

If I could, I would move there in a heartbeat, mostly for the climate. I know, in a community of 18,000 residents, I'd be able to make new friends, and they have hundeds of clubs and activities to choose from. So it comes down to -- I know it would be a risky financial move, but should I throw caution to the wind? After I came back to reality, I ran the numbers some more, and I just don't think I can swing it. I'd have to get a mortgage, in addition to the high HOA fees, and I think it would be too risky on my (small) retirement income. I wouldn't have anything for emergencies and would constantly be worried about blowing through my retirement savings. So, for now, it does not appear that I'll be able to "live the dream"....
THIS is excellent information, thanks so much for sharing. If you can remember what that "required monthly income" is, that would be important to know (the deal breaker?). I really want to visit LWV and see it for myself but I'd be interested in renting for a year ~ something with a small fenced yard for my dog so I'd need a small house or townhouse on first floor.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement