U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-22-2013, 10:02 AM

171 posts, read 532,650 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ConeyIsBabe View Post
THIS is excellent information, thanks so much for sharing. If you can remember what that "required monthly income" is, that would be important to know (the deal breaker?). I really want to visit LWV and see it for myself but I'd be interested in renting for a year ~ something with a small fenced yard for my dog so I'd need a small house or townhouse on first floor.
Here's a description of those costs (don't know if they've changed since):

"As mentioned earlier, there are income requirements to purchasing here. Co-op buyers must have an annual income of $36,000, and condo buyers must have an annual income of $42,000. Buyers must also have a minimum of $125,000 in assets over the purchase price of the home. Assets can include property, cash, stocks, 401ks, etc. Income requirements for The Towers range from $32,527 for one occupant in the smallest unit up to $50,620 for two residents in the largest three bedroom penthouse."

Here's the web page that talks about it and other costs: California Retirement Communities - Laguna Woods Village - Homes for Sale - Golf - Real Estate

Old 09-22-2013, 03:12 PM

1,236 posts, read 3,608,485 times
Default Thank You for the information !

Quote:
Originally Posted by newt View Post
Here's a description of those costs (don't know if they've changed since):

"As mentioned earlier, there are income requirements to purchasing here. Co-op buyers must have an annual income of $36,000, and condo buyers must have an annual income of $42,000. Buyers must also have a minimum of $125,000 in assets over the purchase price of the home. Assets can include property, cash, stocks, 401ks, etc. Income requirements for The Towers range from $32,527 for one occupant in the smallest unit up to $50,620 for two residents in the largest three bedroom penthouse."

Here's the web page that talks about it and other costs: California Retirement Communities - Laguna Woods Village - Homes for Sale - Golf - Real Estate
THANK YOU Newt !

Old 09-22-2013, 09:14 PM

4,406 posts, read 5,926,580 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ConeyIsBabe View Post
THIS is excellent information, thanks so much for sharing. If you can remember what that "required monthly income" is, that would be important to know (the deal breaker?). I really want to visit LWV and see it for myself but I'd be interested in renting for a year ~ something with a small fenced yard for my dog so I'd need a small house or townhouse on first floor.
I don't think you will find any fenced yards, as it is a condo community with all the usual restrictions about what can be done in the common area. One of the condos I looked at had a patio that could have been gated in (the neighbor had done that for their small dog), and the common area was right outside. Some of the condos have inner atriums, too. I think you will find most have convenient layouts for dog owners; you'd just have to find a rental that allows dogs.

Old 09-29-2013, 05:57 AM

384 posts, read 877,571 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lenora View Post
Hi Miruca,

I'm really confused. Where is your "intergenerational" home and where are you?
Lenora - I am in Alaska and the intergenerational home is in the NorthEast.

Stealth - I've always admired your economical living style. I'm quite happy though with my late life splurge ... it is one of those things where the detour turns out to be the path you were looking for.

Old 10-02-2013, 06:38 PM

3 posts, read 3,684 times
Thumbs up Information Gathering

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tondra View Post
Eight years ago I was faced with a desperate economy in Michigan and my business was going downhill fast. I also had gone through a string of major personal losses and was ready for a change of scene. I sold approx. 70% of my personal belongings, bought a single wide trailer in a retirement park in NC (I was the youngest in the park--50) and began working in a Starbucks kiosk.

I have never regretted the move despite the daily struggles. I have now been in my new community for 8 years and have learned much about starting over in a totally strange place with no natural supports. I have also traveled solo to other countries and states on the cheap.

When I ran across this forum, I was pleasantly surprised to find women thinking about making a residential change. Boy, what I could tell you! However, I have learned so much, it would take too long to share.

I am starting a blog and informational website especially for older single women who have little to no retirement savings. It will provide information/inspiration to help them make the best decisions they can, reveal 'potholes' I have fallen in and teach others how to avoid them, best ways to save money, places to consider for a change of residence, what type of residence is the best fit for them, etc.

If you are interested in checking out my site, just email me and I will send you a link.

I have put this website on my favorites list and will try to come back as often as possible to answer any questions anyone may have about facing a 'radical retirement.'

Good luck to everyone!

Tondra
Hello Tondra,
I found this thread recently and just read your post tonight. I'm interested in reading your blog/website if you will send me the link. I look forward to reading what you have to say, since I will be retiring one of these days in the not-too-distant future, and I am currently gathering advice for the transition.
Thank you,
InnerIllumination

Old 10-03-2013, 11:55 PM

4,406 posts, read 5,926,580 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wisteria View Post
Good posts!

Brightdoglover, I'm in the same boat as you. I don't want to move to the south either. I'm living out west right now, but because of costs, I will have to relocate when I retire...in a couple of years or so. It is very expensive in California, and I just slip by on my shoestring budget. But I DO enjoy the lack of humidity, the sunshine, and the scenery of the west!

I also love the Colorado mountains, and recently took a trip out west to check it out with my daughter, Celene, who will be going to college next year. I posted these on another thread, but it's easier just to repost here. I checked out Las Cruces, New Mexico; Truth or Consequences, NM; Albuquerque; Colorado Springs, CO; Boulder, and Grand Junction, CO. This will give you some idea of the terrain.

http://s166.photobucket.com/pbwidget...s/72c49811.pbw

Slide Show ONE

http://s166.photobucket.com/pbwidget...s/697dffab.pbw
Slide TWO

I wonder if enough people reply, if we can mix and match, and maybe find women going to similar places so that we know someone in those places. I find that I have friends scattered all over the country, but not in a specific place that I might be.

I did go to some senior centers while traveling around, and was disappointed that there were no younger "seniors." We are caught in a corner at this age of not being really old, but no longer really young....and trying to figure out where to go to enjoy life, but also to not be isolated.

I wonder if there IS any place that is set up --- which I doubt -- for women retiring but still active, wanting a social life, and in a place that has enough to do? (Hear us, builders??? )

Hmmmmm......
Hi Wisteria! Every time I see your location, I wonder how you could possibly move away from a place so beautiful......but I hear ya on the CA COL....that's the reason I probably will never be able to fulfill my dream of moving back out there. What type of "senior centers" did you go to? I think of senior centers as places where the really elderly go, like my great-aunt. I think many of the older over-55 communities (such as Laguna Woods, where I was looking) still have a very high median age, but I think a wave of boomers is coming in. I definitely noticed it at my Mom's community in FL. Lots of boomers have moved in, in the past five years, as the generation of our parents dies off or moves to assisted-living.

Old 10-11-2013, 08:38 PM

3,745 posts, read 4,218,356 times
Here's a link for comparing counties and states using an "elder index". It may help those who have limited income. You will need to register to use the free site.

WOW - Wider Opportunities For Women - Elder Index Landing

Old 10-16-2013, 01:33 PM

4,574 posts, read 7,060,700 times
woohoo....tomorrow I turn 66! I achieved my goal to work until I reached full retirement age and, through all the ups and downs, I made it Guess it's all bonus after this...

I'm going to visit Virginia again next week for relaxation, fall foliage, and to check out another retirement site...wish me luck!

Old 10-16-2013, 01:51 PM

6,954 posts, read 7,393,688 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by loveautumn View Post
woohoo....tomorrow I turn 66! I achieved my goal to work until I reached full retirement age and, through all the ups and downs, I made it Guess it's all bonus after this...

I'm going to visit Virginia again next week for relaxation, fall foliage, and to check out another retirement site...wish me luck!
Good luck! We expect a trip report.

Old 10-16-2013, 02:05 PM

16,042 posts, read 18,978,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by loveautumn View Post

Congratulations, LA. Check out Lynchburg–Roanoke area (including Salem). Safe travel.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement