U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-16-2013, 11:58 PM

4,404 posts, read 5,924,127 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by loveautumn View Post
woohoo....tomorrow I turn 66! I achieved my goal to work until I reached full retirement age and, through all the ups and downs, I made it Guess it's all bonus after this...

I'm going to visit Virginia again next week for relaxation, fall foliage, and to check out another retirement site...wish me luck!
Congrats, LA! So are you actually retired now? Yes, I remember you were eyeing up VA (Roanoke?) for a retirement destination. Didn't you make a trip there last year? Can't remember what happened after that.

Old 10-27-2013, 04:47 PM

1,734 posts, read 1,949,076 times
Default I haven't caught up with the postings...

Quote:
Originally Posted by desert_spirit View Post
I just got a call tonight from the real estate agent who owns the property in Abiquiu. It is the land and houses my friend Dino built; he unfortunately couldn't keep it going and sold it to the real estate agent.

I'd also rather be in Abiquiu because I know it and lived there and I have at least one friend still in Santa Fe. Or somewhere else near to Santa Fe. Connections are really hard to make, especially as we get older and our lives get more complicated.

I'm thinking of coming to NM in a couple of weeks, DancingEarth. Soothe my itchy feet and give myself a treat.

I'm a tree hugger, too. Though here in Tucson the trees are mostly too prickly to hug!
Good quotes, too.
What synchronicity! Sort of like coming round full circle, coming face to face with the houses Dino bought.

I'll do my best to catch up on the thread. The plans you are making in 2008 will have borne fruit or dissipated by now, in 2013 - I hope they have borne fruit! I, too, am looking for community.

On the edge of my seat, reading more...

Old 10-27-2013, 09:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wisteria View Post
I love the co-housing concept, however, all of the ones I’ve seen are really expensive. I would like to see a builder put up a co-housing development with small cottages. I certainly don’t need a 2,000-3,000 sq.ft. home – I just don’t understand this craving for “bigger is better.” I’m not into the “Keeping up with the Jones’s” thing anyway, I just want quality in my life, not quantity. Anyone know any builders, personally, to ask them about a smaller concept? From the little research I’ve done, the ones who have built small homes are selling them like hotcakes! Maybe the problem is it is younger builders putting these things together, and they are hooked on “BIG,” and not on logical concepts of quality, rather than size. We need to seek out a builder/construction company that has people our age in it, so that they can empathize with what we are looking for.

Ideally, I would love to live in a community with little cottages, with hiking trails, near shopping, and I wouldn’t care if the cottage was even a one-bedroom. If I had a whole lot of rooms, they’d probably just fill up with junk, anyway!

Anyone with construction connections?? Maybe that’s where to start…..
The elephant on the table: builders make money by the square foot, on the boxiest, least-walled construction they can possibly throw up. That way, there are fewer corners to square. Hence, the addiction for McMansions (on the builder side) - why would they willingly forego an extra $100K in gravy?

Housing anywhere in the country can be thrown up for $65/sq ft, with a healthy profit. And, you can sell an execrably built house, with walls held together by drywall tape, at a much higher profit than one built to careful specifications.

Why should the SOBs change their cash-in-the-hand model for you? They've got the house consumers in this country - the women - convinced that the bigger the piece of sh*t they buy, and the more debt they assume, the 'wealthier' they are! Debt is wealth - we have created a newspeak society, and the mainstream media are all owned by seven large corporations. Truth is passé - fact is, most people are too complacent to think through the degree of manipulation they have swallowed without question.

The thrown together shacks begin their melting process soon after purchase, and the deterioration is irrecoverable at the point the five year warranty is up. Let's face it - it is not normal by craftsmanship standards to need major repair projects on a well-crafted house! There are many houses in Europe and in Mexico that have been standing for hundreds of years! The developers get away with this because we let them.

One solution is to bite the bullet and become knowledgeable about construction standards. Become your own general contractor. Or - buy your land, buy a well-built 'hurricane proof' or 'house built to Canadian specifications' modular house, pour your basement, and live maintenance-free for the rest of your lives.

Just MHO, but it squares with the fact pattern.

Old 10-29-2013, 07:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wisteria View Post

I'm going to just take a wait and see attitude for now. My realtor already sent me an application for getting help to clear out the yard of junk. She's really on top of it -- a smart cookie, is she! It's hard to find a realtor who is literate, detail-oriented and service-oriented, but I searched through numerous MLS listings in my area to find someone who seemed to have great listings, wrote well, and once I met her, she was really organized. So, at this point, I have to trust someone and I'm looking to her for guidance. I think that she doesn't need this as a primary income, so that gives her more flexibility, too. At any rate, I'm going to try. Wish me good luck!
I know I've come to this years too late. Good luck in whatever you do. I have lived in a shed before, for tactical purposes. This would be one of those situations where I would definitely do it again, and rent out the house. Best to you.

Old 10-29-2013, 06:13 PM

Default How 'bout that geographic cure, eh?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huckleberry3911948 View Post
best place to be is where you have fought the best and know the best.
why get old and tired and go to a new place and prove yourself again.
i haunt the battlefields where i have fought and won.
That is awfully darn poetic, and I guess I'd like to share the sentiment.However, the geographic cure has always worked the best for me, lol!

Old 10-29-2013, 06:34 PM

Default How true!

Quote:
Originally Posted by livecontent View Post
From what I have read, most people, by far, stay put in the same area after retiring. I agree that it is the most comfortable and easiest way to retire. You know all that is around your life. You do not have to learn new roads, newspapers, restaurants, stores, hospitals, doctors and friends.

However, what you get to do is to explore fully your own surrounding which you will find, is that you do not really know it; because you never had the time, now you do. The Park you passed in your commute becomes a new adventure. The restaurant you wanted to visit gives you a new experience. Going shopping is different because when you slow down, it becomes less than a chore but an exploration. All that is somewhat assumed "familiar" becomes new again.
...p>So, staying put, is not staying the same. So, slowing down in life is not stagnating. So, seeing the same sites, again and again, is not boorish. It is just another way to savor, to relish, to enjoy; and sloooooowly </p>Livecontent
I have a fairly demanding job. Nevertheless, I do ANYTHING I can to avoid going out on weekends! That is my time to recharge. I guess you could say that I act like a -- err -- bum. But I know I'm not! And that is all that matters. To me, anyway. Frankly, when it's time for me to hang it up sometime in the next ten years, I'll be looking to leave DC Metro. I just don't like it enough to hang around. Although it's one of the few places in the country where you can still find consistently interesting work, with relative ease - in comparison to the rest of the country. I'm reading the posts from number one till the end. It's been fascinating and inspirational. I hope I didn't miss the 'friending' window. I'll do that when I get to the end.

Old 10-29-2013, 08:11 PM

Default You have the cadence of Raymond Chandler

Quote:
What you need to do is give your house some allure. That is make it connected with some famous movie star, politician or even a crime. You could put it out that the house was a trysting place for famous or infamous people. You could put a sign out saying:

PRESIDENT JOHN F. KENNEDY SLEPT HERE

Who would dare question that--he slept many places, with many.

Maybe you can get some former famous or famous movie or has been TV star to hang out at your place. It would better if they created a commotion, like getting drunk, arrested or if they decide to hang themselves--that would work--your place would be as good as any other.

You can advertise your house for a movie or TV location--it would work good for a murder thriller.

You could claim that your house was the site where they took the UFO abducted and transferred them to their mother ship. Set a little laboratory.....You may get some rich nut job to buy it.

You can also make it known that your little abode is a special channeling locations for the departed...and that you property has special crystals formations...

A little marketing goes a long way.... be creative. What that means is Lie with a little Panache. After all you live in California--that is accepted behavior.

Livecontent
Really. I had to repeat that whole thing. It really is nicely done. Have you thought about going pro? Very apt commentary about California, as well!On the timeline (with which I am catching up), I know that the stress of house sales for both Wisteria and NEgal have concluded. Reading this thread is truly like keeping up with a great mystery novel.

Old 10-31-2013, 06:31 PM

Quote:
I have given up the concept that moving somewhere else will make my life happier.
The old adage applies "Wherever you go, there you are." In almost all issues of my life, I am my worse enemy and I am also my best friend. I am who I am, good and bad, wherever I live.

Livecontent
Hey! I resemble that remark! It sounds all nice 'n warm 'n fuzzy 'n adorned with candy cr*pping unicorns 'n all, BUT ...

If you are trapped in a cr*ppy situation, from which extrication is dicey, complex or expensive, and your state is circling the bathtub drain, with increasing regulation enacted specifically to justify increasing government headcounts. If you are in a state which imposes ever-increasing tax burdens on the benumbed workers who are too strapped, dumb, or delusional to get out despite being serially downsized...

If you are in a state where increased taxation is funneled into a metastasizing, voting underclass of welfare/Section 8/Medicaid recipients, attracted specifically by the government cheese, and said state's decline is further exacerbated by corporate flight, leading to further downsizing of the few remaining workers who actually produce a tangible good for export that BRINGS CASH IN to the state, in contrast to swilling straight out of the trough replenished by tax dollars...

Then I'd say you are in a cesspool - and the rational response is to GET OUT.

I would put money on the following proposition: the faster you get out of Dodge, and the fewer times you look behind, the better you'll "feel".

Just MHO, of course.

I was never so glad in my life as when I witnessed the state line recede on my way out.

The geographic cure works!

Old 10-31-2013, 10:24 PM

Default Rarer than a hen's tooth

Quote:
Originally Posted by loveautumn View Post
woohoo....tomorrow I turn 66! I achieved my goal to work until I reached full retirement age and, through all the ups and downs, I made it Guess it's all bonus after this...

I'm going to visit Virginia again next week for relaxation, fall foliage, and to check out another retirement site...wish me luck!
Congratulations, Autumn! Tell us your secret! What was your strategy for holding onto your job until full retirement, when everybody else I know in our 50s-60s age group is going around with a bull's eye on his back?

Even here in DC Metro, I have witnessed hordes of people in this 50s/60s group thrown to the curb.

IMHO, DC Metro is one of the few areas in the country that is senior friendly, since the dog that wags the employment tail is the fed govt. Many of the career civil servants, as well as the higher level appointees, are here because they have earned a place at "HQ" now, at the pinnacle of their careers. They are, not to put too fine a point on it, OLD in comparison to the kids hired by the government contractors. Heretofore, the PTB have been very careful about not letting youngsters go in to harangue, discuss findings, brief, converse, or otherwise annoy the senior civil servants. There was monetizable value jn having older staff - they did not annoy said senior civil servants, and knew how to conduct a civilized conversation.

So, to kick the people to the curb who have the highest likelihood of successful communication with your target customers is an indication that things are actually rather grim, and not likely to change over the next year. Let's face it - it takes more than a year for kids who are somewhat full of themselves to learn how to think clearly.

All by way of saying - you deserve kudos for having made it till 66, and squeaking under the limbo stick.

Old 11-01-2013, 01:37 AM

5,819 posts, read 5,183,204 times
I've lurked this thread forever. Truthfully, I've found it kind of depressing, since so many seem to never go where they want to go, and some do go and are unhappy where they've gone. Others disappear from the thread, and I'm left wondering about them after they've shared such personal stories.

Here's my story.

On Monday I'm moving alone to a new place. It's in my same state, so I don't have to change much paperwork like car license and such. I'm familiar with the weather. I've been driving through the area and falling in love with it since 2005. There is no medical care in town, but an hour away is a very major medical center. It's a tourist town, so there are lots of things to do and also seasonal work opportunities to supplement my retirement income. It's a very, very small town which won't be culture shock since I've lived in small towns (but not one so small). Research hasn't turned up problems like crime or potential natural disasters. I've moved a lot throughout my life so I know what the process will be like. Everything seems as though it should be ideal!

But I'm kind of scared. I don't have many living family members, and none will be nearby. Buying the house there has been oddly difficult - the survey found property line problems, neighboring land I thought was government owned turns out to be privately owned, and a new well and septic had to be installed. I'll have to drive 12 miles to the nearest grocery store, veterinarian, and etc.

Probably it will all be fine and hopefully it will be wonderful!

Anyway, I decided it was finally time to share my story.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement