U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-01-2013, 08:16 AM

1,734 posts, read 1,950,095 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 601halfdozen0theother View Post
I've lurked this thread forever.

Here's my story.

... I'm kind of scared. I don't have many living family members, and none will be nearby. Buying the house there has been oddly difficult - the survey found property line problems, neighboring land I thought was government owned turns out to be privately owned, and a new well and septic had to be installed. I'll have to drive 12 miles to the nearest grocery store, veterinarian, and etc.

Probably it will all be fine and hopefully it will be wonderful!
I'm curious, since I'll likely do the same kind of thing - go to a very small town in my current home state. What were the factors that made you select small town, in your same state, instead of uprooting and going to a destination 'paradise'?

I frankly like small towns. There's something homey (to me) about going to the corner store and knowing the people who shop there. And seeing the people from your church out and about in the community. And having less traffic to run you over as you're walking your dog.

Usually, when I mention my preference for small (rural towns) people look at me like I've finally gone nuts, irredeemably over the edge, crazy. Of course, these are DC Metro people, utterly urbanized, who truly believe the best long term solution to a structural disruption is to pick up the phone and call out for Chinese food. The 'men' as well. It is a completely devolved metroplex, where nobody knows how to actually - umm - DO anything.

It is annoying to be forced into proximity with people who know nothing useful whatsoever. Therefore, I'd like to get out of here the first minute I possibly can: it is a completely artificial environment.

Given how the rest of the country feels about DC Metro, it would be just my luck to be tarred with the same brush, were I to move to a small town in an area where everybody hates Big Gov.

In a big place, you can remain anonymous (but it's harder to build a network). In a small place, you are never anonymous, so it's easier to build a network (also easier to fall prey to people's misconceptions and - well - get shunned).

If you don't mind my asking - what factors went into your decision to "go small"? Thanks!

Old 11-01-2013, 12:04 PM

6,954 posts, read 7,395,135 times
This thread died a slow death a long time ago. I have to wonder why it's still a sticky. Really, if all of you are so upset by this - where are all your posts - recent - not years ago?

Old 11-01-2013, 12:13 PM

6,954 posts, read 7,395,135 times
It was discussed- including whether it should remain a sticky. Keep reading.

Old 11-01-2013, 02:51 PM

2,218 posts, read 2,036,902 times
I'm so sorry to hear about your daughter. What a terrible thing for her, and for you. I'm glad to hear that the rapist was caught and imprisoned.

Old 11-01-2013, 03:01 PM

Location: Monterey Bay, California -- watching the sea lions, whales and otters! :D
1,918 posts, read 6,242,262 times
Thank you, Windwalker2,

It was a horrifying experience to receive a call at 2 a.m. in the morning to hear my daughter explain that she had been taken to the hospital by the police and had been there for hours getting DNA testing done. It is most women's fear....being assaulted.

Your expression of caring is exactly why I have always loved this thread and the women here.

Wisteria

Old 11-01-2013, 04:02 PM

3,745 posts, read 4,219,341 times
Wisteria, you missed this. Perhaps it will clear up some of the confusion.

http://www.city-data.com/forum/30562846-post41.html

Old 11-01-2013, 04:03 PM

Location: Monterey Bay, California -- watching the sea lions, whales and otters! :D
Default My posts are being deleted

Well folks,

Although I had a well-written and definitive post -- it has been deleted saying it was "off-topic," when, in fact, it related to some of the above posts, PLUS gave an update of why I was not around -- health issues, heart problems, my daughter being sexually assaulted, etc.

I am sad that it has come to one moderator who apparently feels that anything that is of a sensitive nature, or relating to all the women I have come to know and love is freely deleting posts.

I have heard from many others who ALSO are having their posts deleted.

I guess Free Speech is Dead.

Old 11-01-2013, 04:05 PM

Default Confused

Lenora, I didn't really understand what was said in that link.

Quote:
Wisteria, you missed this. Perhaps it will clear up some of the confusion.

http://www.city-data.com/forum/30562846-post41.html
Which thread is that referring to and I am confused about it.

Old 11-01-2013, 04:17 PM

Default Differences

All I know is that MANY of my recent posts have been deleted -- or ignored by moderators.

As the original poster who was there for many years for so many wonderful women, I do not understand the disrespect.

I guess my being a woman and stating emotional and sensitive issues, in addition to UPDATES which people wanted, AND my reasons for being MIA, were not considered "important" or "on topic." Which is not true at all, but that was not my choice to label it as so.

I can see that this has come down to one individual who seems to not understand, nor appreciate the women who have so kindly and persistently stood by this thread and this community. It goes to show that one person can hurt many at once. We see it all the time in the news, now we see it here.

The consensus was to have it remain the same....start something for the guys....and let the women open up their hearts and talk as much as they wanted to about "sensitive" subjects. My deleted post DOES have to do with retiring, and why I have not been here...AND responded to another poster's post -- which, ironically, was written by a man.

These are prime examples of why men and women might find it easier to not be merged into the same thread....PLUS, the women I know I have referred to this thread can no longer find it because the title is now misleading.

And the moderator's name is "earlyretirement" which leads me to assume (I may be wrong) that he is younger, and maybe not sensitive to the needs of older women retiring alone.

I am ashamed it has come to this. My posts are deleted, I have heard from others who also are saying the same thing, when we are respectful, and, YES, we as women commonly add personal details -- that is one big difference. THAT is why this was so successful -- we could share our personal lives as they intertwined with our retirement plans.

I don't understand the simple ease of changing the title back to "Women..." first because that's what these 600+ pages have been about..... Another case of sexism, I suppose.

I'm so sad, and I respect all the women I have met over these years. Thank you for your support, kindness and help.

Sincerely,
Wisteria

Old 11-01-2013, 04:20 PM

3,745 posts, read 4,219,341 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wisteria View Post
Lenora, I didn't really understand what was said in that link.

Which thread is that referring to and I am confused about it.
Click on the link. Look up in the right corner and you will see the thread title. Happy reading!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement