U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-01-2013, 04:25 PM

2,627 posts, read 4,958,243 times

Advertisements

My comment, too was deleted...off-topic. I am glad that I read yours, Wisteria, before it too, was deleted. I am so very sorry to hear of the attack on your daughter. One of my requirements for a place to live in retirement is that it would be in a safe area. During the 20 years I have lived in my home it has been broken into 3 times with 6 more attempted break-ins. Always happens when I am not at home. My car was jumped on by two teenagers 18 months ago as I was driving slowly through a school zone. One of the boys pounded on my windshield with his foot! He really wanted to break it! I was horrified! It was during the height of the Trayvon Martin - George Zimmerman deal and I am a small white woman in a compact car. I want to live in an area where people watch out for each other and I think that a smaller town might be better than a large, transient area. I still want to visit my hometown in Indiana....will try again next spring/early summer. I am 62 years old, have worked 40+ years at the same location and should have a decent pension. I've been slowly downsizing and also slowly having aches and pains! The thought of moving to a place several states away from where I currently am living seems a bit daunting but I don't want to remain in south Florida.

Old 11-01-2013, 04:26 PM

6,956 posts, read 7,401,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wisteria View Post
Lenora, I didn't really understand what was said in that link.

Which thread is that referring to and I am confused about it.
That was the time when there was a lot of discussion around stickies and since we can only have 2, what should they be. When "retiring alone...." was discussed somehow the conversation turned to women only etc... I mentioned we had always had men on that thread and that we encouraged it and actually enjoyed them (him - LC). I believe to cut the whole discussion short, since it was going in circles, the mod added "Men" to the title. Let's get real - if we start discussing sensitive things or are on any subject a male isn't interested in - well, he'll just do what they always do and tune out - in this case, go elsewhere. Since there has been little activity on this thread it obviously hasn't caused any problems.

I vote we drop it.

Old 11-01-2013, 04:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lenora View Post
Click on the link. Look up in the right corner and you will see the thread title. Happy reading!
Hmmmm, I see.......in a Men's thread?? Let's see.....I want to retire before I am 65 or 66....full SS. Is this being silly? I've worked 40 years at the same place (a wonderful company) but I am tired of it and I hate the commute...22 miles each way. The drivers down here are awful....many are from 3rd world countries where driving rules just don't exist! I wonder of the moderator will cut out parts of a reply that don't pertain to the topic??? Just say something about retiring alone in each post.

Old 11-01-2013, 04:45 PM

3,745 posts, read 4,223,779 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by popcorn247 View Post
Hmmmm, I see.......in a Men's thread?? Let's see.....I want to retire before I am 65 or 66....full SS. Is this being silly? I've worked 40 years at the same place (a wonderful company) but I am tired of it and I hate the commute...22 miles each way. The drivers down here are awful....many are from 3rd world countries where driving rules just don't exist! I wonder of the moderator will cut out parts of a reply that don't pertain to the topic??? Just say something about retiring alone in each post.
Don't forget state income taxes, silly woman! I mean, really, this is what is wrong when women dominate a damn thread. They forget all about the most important stuff like income taxes. There are few (if any) posts about state taxes in this thread. What's up with that ?! I mean, if you haven't considered state taxes to be a top concern, then you are not ready to retire, missy.

Last edited by lenora; 11-01-2013 at 04:57 PM.. Reason: that changed to then. :)

Old 11-01-2013, 04:49 PM

1,229 posts, read 1,139,740 times
Quote:
Since I'm a guy, perhaps this won't get read anyway. However, I find it interesting to note the men's thread about retirement when single and alone had a short lifespan then faded away. I think that says a lot about the differences between the genders and makes a very good argument for the original name and purpose for this thread. We men obviously have short memory and attention spans. Just ask our wives. Conversely, y'all women never forget a thing!

Staying on topic, Popcorn, not silly at all. You should retire when it simply feels right to do so. Very few people ever say they wish they'd worked longer but for some who run out of money and a handful who need that kind of structure in their lives. Remember, the earlier you retire the longer you're likely to enjoy it.

Wisteria, welcome back!

Old 11-01-2013, 04:49 PM

Location: Monterey Bay, California -- watching the sea lions, whales and otters! :D
1,918 posts, read 6,244,494 times
Default Search engines do not find this for women....nor other places it is posted

Quote:
That was the time when there was a lot of discussion around stickies and since we can only have 2, what should they be. When "retiring alone...." was discussed somehow the conversation turned to women only etc... I mentioned we had always had men on that thread and that we encouraged it and actually enjoyed them (him - LC). I believe to cut the whole discussion short, since it was going in circles, the mod added "Men" to the title. Let's get real - if we start discussing sensitive things or are on any subject a male isn't interested in - well, he'll just do what they always do and tune out - in this case, go elsewhere. Since there has been little activity on this thread it obviously hasn't caused any problems.

I vote we drop it.
I humbly disagree as my posts that were more "female-like" have been deleted. And I have heard from others with the same issue. Plus, I have read above some really nasty posts by men. Many (except LiveContent) seem to be disturbed by the more personal nature of our posts. By now, guys should realize that is how women communicate.

AND, women cannot now access the thread -- I have posted it many places where women are concerned about retiring alone, and I know that brought in many more people. The title is misleading and WOMEN should be first, as for six years that was the main focus. Now, a woman retiring alone really IS alone. If she searches for "women retiring..." she no longer finds this thread. She has no where to come to find out what we have done over the years.

I agree that men zone out when we get going as women talking, but, unfortunately, our "sensitive" natures are also being deleted in the posts. The whole point of the thread was to allow us to talk like we normally would to each other in person.

In fact, I know for sure that some of us have visited each other, and spoken to each other on the phone, and we have actually become friends. To me, that is a huge success.

From the link Lenora gave me, it looks like there IS a men's thread. So, why not just a woman's thread? Especially after all these years of interaction, learning about each other, visiting each other, talking to each other in "real life?" This has become more than just a forum, it truly has become a community.

Old 11-01-2013, 04:50 PM

Quote:
Don't forget state income taxes, silly woman! I mean, really, this is what is wrong when women dominate a damn thread. They forget all about the most important stuff like income taxes. There are few (if any) posts about state taxes in this thread. What's up with that ?! I mean, if you haven't considered state taxes to be a top concern, that you are not ready to retire, missy.
Yes, state taxes....some states do not tax Social Security or income from pensions. I have thought of that! Speaking of that...I would love to live in Wyoming (no state income tax) but I don't think I could live very well in the very long winters! I just got my property tax bill today - it I pay this month, it is a whopping $720.00!!

Old 11-01-2013, 04:53 PM

Location: Monterey Bay, California -- watching the sea lions, whales and otters! :D
1,918 posts, read 6,244,494 times
Default Thank you

Quote:
Quote:
Since I'm a guy, perhaps this won't get read anyway. However, I find it interesting to note the men's thread about retirement when single and alone had a short lifespan then faded away. I think that says a lot about the differences between the genders and makes a very good argument for the original name and purpose for this thread. We men obviously have short memory and attention spans. Just ask our wives. Conversely, y'all women never forget a thing!

Staying on topic, Popcorn, not silly at all. You should retire when it simply feels right to do so. Very few people ever say they wish they'd worked longer but for some who run out of money and a handful who need that kind of structure in their lives. Remember, the earlier you retire the longer you're likely to enjoy it.

Wisteria, welcome back!
Thank you. However, many (most lately) of my posts have been deleted, so maybe you missed a bunch of them.....

You explained it quite well, and I do agree. Women just interact differently. And when we discuss "sensitive, womanly" things, we still merge it with the topic at hand. That is how women communicate.

Thanks for your support. I'm not sure they will allow me to stay anymore, and since most of the men here have been rather rude, I am sure most would not want me here anyway....

Old 11-01-2013, 05:01 PM

3,745 posts, read 4,223,779 times
Quote:
Yes, state taxes....some states do not tax Social Security or income from pensions. I have thought of that! Speaking of that...I would love to live in Wyoming (no state income tax) but I don't think I could live very well in the very long winters! I just got my property tax bill today - it I pay this month, it is a whopping $720.00!!
Oh, my. Of course you have. But unlike other threads, we don't dwell on it.

Old 11-01-2013, 05:06 PM

1,662 posts, read 1,530,329 times
Quote:
Click on the link. Look up in the right corner and you will see the thread title. Happy reading!
I remember that thread. I thought several of the postings were sexist and offensive to American women so was probably best that it was entitled "For Single Men:..." Had to stop reading it half way through as it made me angry.

While I'm not normally a contributor to this thread ("Men and Women retiring alone..."), don't know that adding "Men" to the title has made much of a difference. Also one of my postings today was deleted as "off topic" too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement