U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-01-2013, 06:56 PM

2,626 posts, read 4,950,826 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRational View Post
Like with most threads the nuts & bolts will tend to be well covered by post #30.
After that it's mostly derivative and side chat.

hth
mmmmmmmmmmmmmmm, NO!

Old 11-01-2013, 07:00 PM

3,745 posts, read 4,216,058 times
Quote:
Like with most threads the nuts & bolts will tend to be well covered by post #30.

hth

Hahaha. Your observation shows that Wisteria was correct! Men and women sure do communicate differently. Men leave out all the good stuff. Forget the details or emotional content. Drives me crazy!

Old 11-01-2013, 07:03 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
22,548 posts, read 39,934,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wisteria View Post
Well, it's apparent that my posts are not going to be allowed to show. Earlyretirement already deleted my last one and many more. I can't even reply to a simple question of wording in response to a post.

Sorry folks, looks like I can't give my opinion.
Yup, BTDT
would like to hear more if you can weasel out an acceptable post.
Keep on trying.

Hope you are still well and found your spot if not stil in SC. CA

Old 11-01-2013, 07:11 PM

35,885 posts, read 67,154,265 times
Typically, posts should have titles that will result in the most search engine hits. That is why it would be better (for hits) to have Men and Women in the title. We forget that this forum may be our place for chat, but for the owners, it is a business.

Just throwing that out there . . . not meaning to hurt anyone's feelings or upset anyone.

Old 11-01-2013, 07:13 PM

Location: Monterey Bay, California -- watching the sea lions, whales and otters! :D
1,918 posts, read 6,240,303 times
Quote:
New England Girl
Quote:
Originally Posted by Umbria
The thing I liked most about this thread was that although the general topic was about moving - we talked about lots of things. It worked - so - there is no "off topic" on this thread.
Why don't we petition to rename Wisteria's original thread: Women's Chat: Retiring Alone, Relocating, and Things We Want to Share. That ought to do it. We can then chat about anything we want, no?
Umbria
Quote:
Originally Posted by newenglandgirl
Why don't we petition to rename Wisteria's original thread: Women's Chat: Retiring Alone, Relocating, and Things We Want to Share. That ought to do it. We can then chat about anything we want, no?
This sounds good - I believe early retirement is the mod. Does Wisteria like this title?

Well, I'll try again. I don't understand why your two posts are there, when my response to both of your posts was deleted. It seems like everything I'm posting is deleted. I know the moderator doesn't like me, but he doesn't even know me. I'm so tiny, I could be stepped on and squished in real life (seriously....) at 4'9", I'm technically a midget -- so that has been a huge consideration in my retiring to someplace -- being tiny, being vulnerable, all of that -- not to mention the tiny pension to go with my tiny size.

Moderator, could you please step in and explain what is happening? We are just a bunch of old women who are alone and retiring or retired -- all we want to do is discuss it. It would really help if you gave your side of the opinion because all I'm trying to do is answer some of the posts. Thanks.

Old 11-01-2013, 07:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
Typically, posts should have titles that will result in the most search engine hits. That is why it would be better (for hits) to have Men and Women in the title. We forget that this forum may be our place for chat, but for the owners, it is a business.

Just throwing that out there . . . not meaning to hurt anyone's feelings or upset anyone.
I agree with the premise, but... I would have ignored the hit in my google search had the thread been entitled "Men and Women". I would never have found C-D.

Old 11-01-2013, 07:19 PM

Location: Monterey Bay, California -- watching the sea lions, whales and otters! :D
1,918 posts, read 6,240,303 times
Quote:
anifani821 Typically, posts should have titles that will result in the most search engine hits. That is why it would be better (for hits) to have Men and Women in the title. We forget that this forum may be our place for chat, but for the owners, it is a business.

I understand what you are saying, except that women alone actually do have different challenges. And I have tried to actually find this and with the "MEN" first -- and nearly 700 pages relating to women, this is a golden resource for women retiring alone. I had only asked that they at least put Women first, as they are the ones who are stuck when alone. Many women are married, so their needs are very different.

I mean, I can't believe it's developed into this huge thing when such a simple change that matches the 7 years of posting would make it more usable. Men are going to see it's mostly women, so why not just have it Women, and then have another one for the men, or one for couples retiring (but they wouldn't be alone).

I'm not trying to hurt anyone's feelings, either, it's just that 7 years worth of threads entirely devoted to women, it doesn't make logical sense to now change the name and make it sound more like it's MEN retiring alone, when in reality, the thread IS about women retiring alone. I just don't see why we can't figure out such a simple thing.

Old 11-01-2013, 07:22 PM

6,954 posts, read 7,390,876 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wisteria View Post

Well, I'll try again. I don't understand why your two posts are there, when my response to both of your posts was deleted. It seems like everything I'm posting is deleted. I know the moderator doesn't like me, but he doesn't even know me. I'm so tiny, I could be stepped on and squished in real life (seriously....) at 4'9", I'm technically a midget -- so that has been a huge consideration in my retiring to someplace -- being tiny, being vulnerable, all of that -- not to mention the tiny pension to go with my tiny size.

Moderator, could you please step in and explain what is happening? We are just a bunch of old women who are alone and retiring or retired -- all we want to do is discuss it. It would really help if you gave your side of the opinion because all I'm trying to do is answer some of the posts. Thanks.
That needs to stop.

Old 11-01-2013, 07:25 PM

16,042 posts, read 18,971,705 times
Quote:

hth
Seeing as CD is a business like any other supported by advertisers, I cannot see how people returning again and again to post (chat) could possibly be a detriment to them or to anyone else. How (very) many Retirement financial threads do we have? How many (countless!) "trivia" threads do we have? It's all side chat, none of it's necessary. You can go back to your nap.

Old 11-01-2013, 07:27 PM

So, I've spent the last 45 minutes or so preparing... I have sent out several direct messages to friends from this forum and provided my contact information. I hope I haven't missed anyone, if so, please feel free to "friend" me for the information. Like now.

Oh, and just in case, thanks again for the loving support y'all have provided me through this forum over the last 5 years. I came here at a really bad time in my life and I truly appreciate the encouragement, knowledge and experience enthusiastically shared by my sisters. You all are great!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement