Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-02-2013, 08:17 AM

16,042 posts, read 21,967,545 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lenora View Post
As one of our favorite posters once mentioned, living in a familiar environment has a lot going for it. I would imagine many would find familiar environs comforting and it is certainly something I am considering.
As soon as we "forced" our mother out of her big house, her home of 55 years, into a lovely little ranch across from my sister, she started to become "ill" with lots of complaints. Her health started to fail (she no longer had the mission of doing laundry and shopping, she no longer had any stairs to keep her fit) and she died exactly a year after the move. The world as she knew it had crumbled, even though her new place was nicer.

Old 11-02-2013, 09:40 AM

35,879 posts, read 77,483,478 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wisteria View Post
I understand what you are saying, except that women alone actually do have different challenges. And I have tried to actually find this and with the "MEN" first -- and nearly 700 pages relating to women, this is a golden resource for women retiring alone. I had only asked that they at least put Women first, as they are the ones who are stuck when alone. Many women are married, so their needs are very different.

I mean, I can't believe it's developed into this huge thing when such a simple change that matches the 7 years of posting would make it more usable. Men are going to see it's mostly women, so why not just have it Women, and then have another one for the men, or one for couples retiring (but they wouldn't be alone).

I'm not trying to hurt anyone's feelings, either, it's just that 7 years worth of threads entirely devoted to women, it doesn't make logical sense to now change the name and make it sound more like it's MEN retiring alone, when in reality, the thread IS about women retiring alone. I just don't see why we can't figure out such a simple thing.
I am right there with ya, Sistah! Agree that info geared "just to women" and "by women" and "for women" DOES have a readership and would be very valuable.

But sadly, what is important to owners of websites is the HITS as advertisers want (and expect) xx amount of hits per page per week/month, or they won't keep advertising. When looking at the stats, advertisers want to see a track record and so before they will advertise Retirement-related products, they want to see how many "impressions" as well as direct clicks the page typically has. It's a cold world out there.

It IS different when you are on your own. Totally agree. I don't know if I have hardly even posted on that website but I have been a consistent lurker for years! I started reading the thread b/f I ever started posting on the Retirement forum.

Old 11-02-2013, 09:44 AM

35,879 posts, read 77,483,478 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newenglandgirl View Post
As soon as we "forced" our mother out of her big house, her home of 55 years, into a lovely little ranch across from my sister, she started to become "ill" with lots of complaints. Her health started to fail (she no longer had the mission of doing laundry and shopping, she no longer had any stairs to keep her fit) and she died exactly a year after the move. The world as she knew it had crumbled, even though her new place was nicer.
So very sad but yet . . . she would not have thrived alone, right? Accidents, poor nutrition at times, forget meds . . . all those things can happen as we age without someone around to intervene on a daily basis.

Plus it is hell for the caretaker to be at her OWN retirement age and keeping up two homes - talking physically here . . . I do well to get my own laundry and vacuuming etc done. I get some outside help a few times a year as some tasks are just too much of a strain. I can only do so much!

For some folks, it is a blessed relief once the shock of moving wears off - clean, neat, organized "new" place . . . but for others . . . they simply continue to mourn the losses.

Old 11-02-2013, 10:20 AM

88,564 posts, read 84,755,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newenglandgirl View Post
My mom's best friend since childhood died two months ago (they are 84). The friend had a heart problem for a number of years, but this past year she realized she wasn't able to keep up her house anymore, either physically or financially. We live in the town where my mom and her friend were born back when it was a little rural place, but now it's gone to an upscale suburb and the taxes are horrendous. My mom's friend lived in that house since she was a bride at 20, raised her children there, her husband died there ten years ago, and now she had to sell.

She put the house on the market and it sold. She'd found a small apartment nearby and was emptying the house and would be moving in three weeks. Then she fell and broke her pelvis, went into the hospital, was found to have an infection in her colon and within days she was gone. Although the physical ailments were very real, I believe the emotional impact of having to leave the home she'd lived in most of her life played a part.

Old 11-02-2013, 10:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
So very sad but yet . . . she would not have thrived alone, right? Accidents, poor nutrition at times, forget meds . . . all those things can happen as we age without someone around to intervene on a daily basis.

Plus it is hell for the caretaker to be at her OWN retirement age and keeping up two homes - talking physically here . . . I do well to get my own laundry and vacuuming etc done. I get some outside help a few times a year as some tasks are just too much of a strain. I can only do so much!

For some folks, it is a blessed relief once the shock of moving wears off - clean, neat, organized "new" place . . . but for others . . . they simply continue to mourn the losses.
If my children ever did for me like my sisters and I did for our mother, I'd be overwhelmingly grateful. Here she was moving to an adorable, one-floor house in a safe neighborhood across from my sister who did her laundry and shopping, and all mother did was bitterly complain. She couldn't find anything in her new place, she missed the crime drama in her old neighborhood, and she missed spying on the neighbors she'd known for years.We had had to hear long accounts of what she "found out" about them. We'd hold the phone away from our ears while doing something else, just letting her rant. Plus the stairs. We were worried about the two stairways in her house, but in hindsight it kept her moving and young. Her old house was her entire identity, as she had no other interests. Whenever I think that's sad, I also realize she lived till almost 92, something I doubt I will do.

Old 11-02-2013, 11:45 AM

1,006 posts, read 2,215,509 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
But sadly, what is important to owners of websites is the HITS as advertisers want (and expect) xx amount of hits per page per week/month, or they won't keep advertising. When looking at the stats, advertisers want to see a track record and so before they will advertise Retirement-related products, they want to see how many "impressions" as well as direct clicks the page typically has. It's a cold world out there.
Maybe I'm missing it, but i have never seen an advertisement on CD? While I would think they ahve to do something to pay the bills, it doesnt appear to be PPC or impression based advertising.

Old 11-02-2013, 11:04 PM

28,115 posts, read 63,659,938 times
The folks I bought my home from 12 years ago are now 92... they sold and moved to a retirement community about 15 minutes away...

They had planned on moving from California to Florida where his son lived and decided the warm weather didn't agree with them...

Twelve years in and they like the retirement apartment with 2 bedrooms... they reconnected with people they had not seen as far back as grade school plus the shuttle van takes them anywhere local...

I don't think they would have been as happy pulling up stakes and moving cross country...

Old 11-03-2013, 07:09 AM

For those considering Portland, Ore—a romantic view of the city

Time Lapse: Finding Portland - CBS News Video

Old 11-03-2013, 07:14 AM

7,572 posts, read 9,018,330 times
Default Livecontent

This is a shout out for our buddy, Livecontent. Check in and let us know you're OK. We worry about you.

Old 11-03-2013, 12:40 PM

Location: Monterey Bay, California -- watching the sea lions, whales and otters! :D
1,918 posts, read 6,784,224 times
Quote:
Umbria

This is a shout out for our buddy, Livecontent. Check in and let us know you're OK. We worry about you.
I, too, am worried about him. I did see that he last posted in some other threads in 2012. I hope he is okay. I know that we always loved his responses, and his food information.

Livecontent, if you see this, would you please let us know how you are doing?

Thanks!
Wisteria
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement