U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-03-2013, 08:29 PM

224 posts, read 190,925 times

Advertisements

Hi Wisteria,
I am grateful to you for starting this thread, which I have read since 2007. I appreciate the hundreds of ideas and resources I have been exposed to here by you, Brightdoglover, StealthRabbit and other "old timers." It has be extremely helpful and pleasant to hear other women's' perspectives!! My retirement plans have evolved in good measure from comments I've read here. As others have said, many relocation issues ARE unique to women. This thread has been a wonderful place to go to hear others express MY fears, needs, and concerns.

I've just read the last week's posts, and am appalled that your posts are being censored/deleted/ignored. If it is true that a new venue is necessary to continue these conversations, I would like to be included.

My appreciation and my very best wishes flow to you!

Old 11-04-2013, 05:45 AM

16,042 posts, read 18,982,141 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jane_sm1th73 View Post
I already know what I know. What interests me is what I DON'T know. Why OTHER people like the idea of retiring in rural areas - or not. And how to avoid having a bulls' eye on my back.
My son's MIL age 60 is now retired and has a dream to move waaaay out to the boondocks (she already lives quite rural up a barely accessible dirt driveway). She has lots of acreage and building plans. She'll be 6263 by the time she moves there. I assumed she was into snowmobiling, cross country skiing, woodstoving, gardening, and a great lover of the outdoors. I was floored when she said no to all these. She just wants complete solitude. Well, up here solitude in the 5 months of winter is something to be reckoned with esp at that age. She is either gonna be a granny on fast wheels to town, or she's gonna go nuts. The cost of delivering furnace oil to the middle of nowhere? The long treks for food and gas? Will her entertainment be TV 24/7? If she had a purpose in rural living, like food production (like the longtime poster SC Granny) and survival skill or even outdoor sports, I could see it. I don't see the purpose in what she's doing, but then again, everyone' unique.

Old 11-04-2013, 05:50 AM

16,042 posts, read 18,982,141 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wisteria View Post
I, too, am worried about him. I did see that he last posted in some other threads in 2012. I hope he is okay. I know that we always loved his responses, and his food information.

Livecontent, if you see this, would you please let us know how you are doing?

Thanks!
Wisteria
I think LC may have gotten fed up that his carefully given advice met with some derision from some posters. He was always practical and down to earth and full of ideas for retiree shoestringers. (I think he should write a book.) He also suggested he might move to a senior high-rise so maybe he's in process of that. I miss him too, as he's given much timely advice that has kept me on the practical side as to what choices to make.

Old 11-04-2013, 07:20 AM

480 posts, read 507,672 times
Default Can I play too?

I'm a fairly new CD member who recently came across this thread. I've read several of the first and last pages and it seems to me there are two fundamental topics here: moving to a new place to retire, and retiring alone. Even if you have a partner at retirement, you're still going to have to confront most, if not all related issues to beginning a life in a different part of the country, no? I was going to suggest making the title of this thread more inclusive, but then I read the last 10 or so pages and see that at one point it was even divided by gender.

My husband and I are planning our retirement escape for January 2015 and will be moving to the opposite coast. I've really gotten a wealth of ideas and information from this thread, and some of the posts are so relevant, it's uncanny! I suppose there is a limit to individual experience.

Anyway, consider this a request to allow those of us who will (hopefully) have someone beside them when they run away from home for the last time to join the conversation!

Peace out!

Old 11-04-2013, 07:30 AM

6,954 posts, read 7,395,135 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wisteria View Post
I, too, am worried about him. I did see that he last posted in some other threads in 2012. I hope he is okay. I know that we always loved his responses, and his food information.

Livecontent, if you see this, would you please let us know how you are doing?

Thanks!
Wisteria
At one point I said we were all going to show up at his house - I think I scared him. LC, we really wouldn't do such a thing ().

Old 11-04-2013, 09:22 AM

1,236 posts, read 3,608,978 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tulippsy View Post
I'm a fairly new CD member who recently came across this thread. I've read several of the first and last pages and it seems to me there are two fundamental topics here: moving to a new place to retire, and retiring alone. Even if you have a partner at retirement, you're still going to have to confront most, if not all related issues to beginning a life in a different part of the country, no? I was going to suggest making the title of this thread more inclusive, but then I read the last 10 or so pages and see that at one point it was even divided by gender.

My husband and I are planning our retirement escape for January 2015 and will be moving to the opposite coast. I've really gotten a wealth of ideas and information from this thread, and some of the posts are so relevant, it's uncanny! I suppose there is a limit to individual experience.

Anyway, consider this a request to allow those of us who will (hopefully) have someone beside them when they run away from home for the last time to join the conversation!

Peace out!
The original thread, as originally written, NEVER excluded anyone, whether a couple or a male, from participating !

The original thread, as originally written and intended, was for the single, older woman, facing relocation ALONE. For some of us, that experience becomes more daunting than when one has a support system from friends, family or spouse. (This point seems to have been overlooked in recent posts regarding the name change of the original thread)

Old 11-04-2013, 10:42 AM

277 posts, read 298,424 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newenglandgirl View Post
I think LC may have gotten fed up that his carefully given advice met with some derision from some posters. He was always practical and down to earth and full of ideas for retiree shoestringers. (I think he should write a book.) He also suggested he might move to a senior high-rise so maybe he's in process of that. I miss him too, as he's given much timely advice that has kept me on the practical side as to what choices to make.
I really like LC, too. I "stalk" him by checking his "find all posts" area, but he's posted nothing for some time. I've DM'd a few people I thought might know him in real life, but no one seems to. Every time I open a can of beans I wonder how he's doing. If he's checked in to the Eternal Care unit, oh, well--but if he's in need of support, I wish we could offer it, if only virtually. Let's hope he's found the love of his life and is just too busy for cyber relationships.

Old 11-04-2013, 11:24 AM

480 posts, read 507,672 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ConeyIsBabe View Post
The original thread, as originally written, NEVER excluded anyone, whether a couple or a male, from participating !

The original thread, as originally written and intended, was for the single, older woman, facing relocation ALONE. For some of us, that experience becomes more daunting than when one has a support system from friends, family or spouse. (This point seems to have been overlooked in recent posts regarding the name change of the original thread)
Sorry if I misinterpreted the title. I agree it would certainly be more daunting moving or retiring without a support system. I was merely commenting that a couple moving in retirement will have similar issues to a single person and it seems redundant to have another thread about the same issue for couples. I guess I was seeking validation that someone wouldn't kick me out of the party for having a husband. Even with support, change is scary. But exciting, too.

Old 11-04-2013, 11:45 AM

6,954 posts, read 7,395,135 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tulippsy View Post
Sorry if I misinterpreted the title. I agree it would certainly be more daunting moving or retiring without a support system. I was merely commenting that a couple moving in retirement will have similar issues to a single person and it seems redundant to have another thread about the same issue for couples. I guess I was seeking validation that someone wouldn't kick me out of the party for having a husband. Even with support, change is scary. But exciting, too.
There have been others that were married. There were men when it was "Women Retiring~~~~".

We have never kicked anyone out or given anyone that proverbial cold shoulder. We have never gotten our panties in a bunch about a discussion being off topic. These are some of the reasons this thread was a success for so long.

I see no problem with you posting on this thread.

Old 11-04-2013, 01:29 PM

2,627 posts, read 4,953,885 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newenglandgirl View Post
The last time I heard from LC was January of this year. His note:

Thanks for the concern. I periodically leave the forum to renew and not form an addiction.

Livecontent
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement