U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-13-2013, 06:42 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
22,537 posts, read 39,914,033 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bullie62 View Post
Stealth, if I thought I'd make enough off the sale of my house to be able to afford a cute little place in either places you mentioned... Manchester, NH or Portland, ME, I'd be on that research, STAT!

bullie~
Get your browser cranking and find small towns nearby that have commuter bus service, There are many options just a slight inconvenience away.

You find a nice apartment in the home of an older couple and live happily every after. Not so tough, but will not 'appear'. Gotta dig. I do it every day.

Old 11-13-2013, 01:51 PM

25 posts, read 26,833 times
Default 4 seasons, low taxes and Dixie rednecks

I live outside of Asheville in a smaller town (I prefer quiet, not the hustle and bustle) and am enjoying my 9th year here. Pros--Yes, property taxes are that cheap. I just paid my taxes on my mobile home for next year and they were $75..........yes, the whole year. South Carolina has even cheaper taxes and gas.

Housing can be a little pricey; that is why I bought a mobile home in a retirement park about 7 miles from town. I can see the mountains from my front porch, beautiful sunsets and sunrises, lots of wildlife and rain.

Believe it nor not, but the mountains are considered a rain forest and in the summer you can usually count on a brief shower around 3 pm. Those with bad allergies or lung problems, as this is the worst area you could live in. You will also need to acquaint yourself with the venomous snakes and spiders, just so you can protect yourself. Novice hiking is very dangerous and people often get lost.

Anyhoo, if you want to live as cheap as possible, I would choose SC. Thoroughly research the area and visit during different seasons so you know what to expect.

Good luck in your search!

Old 11-13-2013, 03:29 PM

437 posts, read 554,512 times
Default Women retiring alone

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tondra View Post
I live outside of Asheville in a smaller town (I prefer quiet, not the hustle and bustle) and am enjoying my 9th year here. Pros--Yes, property taxes are that cheap. I just paid my taxes on my mobile home for next year and they were $75..........yes, the whole year. South Carolina has even cheaper taxes and gas.

Housing can be a little pricey; that is why I bought a mobile home in a retirement park about 7 miles from town. I can see the mountains from my front porch, beautiful sunsets and sunrises, lots of wildlife and rain.

Believe it nor not, but the mountains are considered a rain forest and in the summer you can usually count on a brief shower around 3 pm. Those with bad allergies or lung problems, as this is the worst area you could live in. You will also need to acquaint yourself with the venomous snakes and spiders, just so you can protect yourself. Novice hiking is very dangerous and people often get lost.

Anyhoo, if you want to live as cheap as possible, I would choose SC. Thoroughly research the area and visit during different seasons so you know what to expect.

Good luck in your search!
WHOA on the property taxes..... and do you stay warm enough in the mobile home, during the Winters? And HECK.... I knew it was humid there, but had no idea it was THAT BAD for those with allergies. UGH... not what I wanted to read.

bullie~

Old 11-14-2013, 02:01 AM

2,626 posts, read 4,949,307 times
I have expressed an interest in moving back to my home area in Indiana. Here is a link to some historical parts of Lafayette & West Lafayette:

Tour de Lafayette :: A Virtual Tour of 9 Historic Neighborhoods in Lafayette-West Lafayette, Indiana

Old 11-14-2013, 08:53 AM

6,119 posts, read 9,071,114 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Umbria View Post
My guess is he was tired of all the crap. PhxBarb - you old gossip

So, how was your trip to Greeneville SC (do I have the city correct?????) I don't it's far from Asheville.

Tell us O gossip queen.
Well its Green alright. So many gorgeous Red Maples I went out of my mind with the Fall colors. Went to a class at the Osher program (classes for over 50s) in a brand new building on Furman campus. Great selection of classes. I heard a lawyer talk about a very interesting case in history. (Monkey vs. Snopes) Problem is Furman is no where near anything. Where I would want to live (Simpsonville) is 20 minutes away on interstate. Alot of rural homes outside Gville and they park their cars on the lawns. YUK. It is the Bible Belt. Got that right away when the realtor told me I should pray about moving. Attended a craft fair in the senior center and found all the old women, so I fit right in !

Still on the fence. Am having hip replacement in a week so will do nothing until that's over.

Old 11-14-2013, 09:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhxBarb View Post
Well its Green alright. So many gorgeous Red Maples I went out of my mind with the Fall colors. Went to a class at the Osher program (classes for over 50s) in a brand new building on Furman campus. Great selection of classes. I heard a lawyer talk about a very interesting case in history. (Monkey vs. Snopes) Problem is Furman is no where near anything. Where I would want to live (Simpsonville) is 20 minutes away on interstate. Alot of rural homes outside Gville and they park their cars on the lawns. YUK. It is the Bible Belt. Got that right away when the realtor told me I should pray about moving. Attended a craft fair in the senior center and found all the old women, so I fit right in !

Still on the fence. Am having hip replacement in a week so will do nothing until that's over.
So would Simpsonville be considered one of those rural towns with cars on their lawns? What not stay in Greenville?

bullie~

Old 11-14-2013, 09:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by newenglandgirl View Post
I nominate Curmudgeon (where is he?)
Can't just ANY MOD change the name back and move on with it?

Old 11-14-2013, 11:15 AM

6,954 posts, read 7,388,974 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhxBarb View Post

Good luck with your surgery.

Parking on the lawn - gotta love that. They do that in parts of MN. I needed a new roof and a lady I worked with recommended her brother and his crew. They wee from northern MN but occasionally did work in Mpls. The evening before they were to finish they were going to stay in a motel - it was late and said they could just stay here since we were going to have a bad storm the next day and we needed to start early if we were gong to beat it = he was my coworkers brother - right.

I looked out the window and he had pulled his big ole truck smack dab in the middle of my front yard. I have a long driveway - I have a street that nobody parks on but parking is allowed (no NO PARKING signs).

I asked: "Why did you park on the lawn?" ~~~"Because that's how I do it at home." Park on the dang street. I started wondering if they knew what they were doing with the roof.

Old 11-14-2013, 11:25 AM

6,119 posts, read 9,071,114 times
I asked about this on the Greenville forum and got the answer "Jus caus we can !!!" Am wondering about the mentality of some of the people in the area. Also, Bullie, Greenville taxes are higher than Simpsonville cause you pay city taxes too.

There is so much that goes into finding a new place to live. None of it is simple. I just want someone to say : OK, go HERE and I will go with you.

Old 11-14-2013, 12:08 PM

1,569 posts, read 3,084,450 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Umbria View Post
OK - now you did it - our mod couldn't take us anymore - we are now "team moderated", meaning, whomever is brave enough or willing to put up with us.

Naughty retired women~~~
Cool...maybe I'll start posting again. ;-) Now they can change the name back. They could have at least asked before hijacking us.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.