U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-16-2013, 10:31 AM

2,218 posts, read 2,036,207 times

Advertisements

One problem with small towns is the lack of public transportation. It's OK as long as you can drive, but it's something I look at when considering towns.

Old 11-16-2013, 10:38 AM

437 posts, read 555,334 times
And if the small towns have everything near.... it won't be a problem. One thing I'm looking into is ADA Paratransit Service, no matter where I land. I won't need it all the time, but on days when I do, it'll be a HUGE gift!

bullie~

Old 12-07-2013, 11:46 AM

2,654 posts, read 2,195,067 times
wow this is the War and Peace of the board!!

Old 12-07-2013, 10:42 PM

3,415 posts, read 5,136,795 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bullie62 View Post

Any ladies out there who live in a big city now.... are you thinking of moving into a small town? What are you fears and if you've already made that move, how are you acclimating?

Ya wanna know the greatest fear for me, moving from a big city to a small town? Safety! I know! But to ME, there's safety in numbers, people in close proximity, action going on late at night...... In a small town, the place would feel very remote and who would know if I were in trouble?
Made the move from Oakland, CA to Floyd Co, VA about 8 years ago when I retired at the age of 56 and could not be happier. Love the slow pace of life, the friendly people, etc. The city of Oakland has a population density of about 6,676 people per square mile while in the county of Floyd it's about 39 folks per sq. mile. We have one traffic light in the county at the intersection of the two main roads, one north/south and the other east/west.

Safety? Crime? There has been one homicide in the 8 years I've been here while Oakland averages over a hundred each year so I feel much safer here. Many people don't lock the doors of their homes or cars (except when we go to the big towns of Christiansburg or Roanoke) and several of my friends have no idea where they might even have a house key and car keys are generally left in the ignition.

The small businesses get to know you quickly. A few months ago I stopped at the market/gas station just up the road from my house and put over $120 worth of gas in my Suburban. Went in to the store to pay for it (one does not have to pay up front around here) and realized that my debit card was at home on my desk because I'd done some on line shopping earlier. I explained the problem and offered to leave the keys and truck there while I walked home and got my card. No need to walk the clerk said, just take your truck home, get the card and come back.

Most of the time that I take my car in for service about a mile from my house the shop works on it and then drops it by my house. It's up to me to remember to stop in some time later and pay the bill.

Country life suits me just fine, at least for now while my health and ability to drive are good. Some where down the road that may change but I've had 8 delightful years here so far and expect to have plenty more before I can't live on my own and either need live in help or move to some assisted living facility.

Perhaps the biggest challenge is finding hired help for those "honey-do" projects around the property (28 acres) and house that are either beyond my ability or my interest or both.

Old 12-08-2013, 03:08 AM

121 posts, read 253,763 times
Wow, I haven't visited this thread in a long time. This is the second time I've visited since the threads' name change. It was great to recognize some of the old familiar names from the early days of the thread, and the originator, Wisteria! I just want to say it's good to read from your writings, Umbria, Coney Island Babe, Stealth Rabbit, NewEnglandGirl, Umbria, Popcorn247,LoveAutumn, Avalon08, Karcon, Minervah, Wisteria and some great new additions who's "handles" are new to me. I've had the good fortune to meet one of you and become FB friends with a couple more. I hope you're able to change the name back to its original so others can find this thread once again. I've always thought this was one of the best threads I've ever stumbled across and have followed it from the beginning. When I was in the early stages of planning my retirement and subsequent move, this thread provided me with insight which helped facilitate my new future in another state. A state of "being" as well as literally "living" in another state. Reading about others' concerns such as being near family, transportation, cost of living, climate, healthcare options, allergies, and so on reminded me to keep the important things in perspective and not get sidetracked by a fancy package being pitched by a salesperson who just happens to sell real estate. My move was successful and I'm a happy camper. Happy Holidays All!

Old 12-08-2013, 06:52 AM

3,745 posts, read 4,218,356 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zugor View Post
Made the move from Oakland, CA to Floyd Co, VA about 8 years ago when I retired at the age of 56 and could not be happier. Love the slow pace of life, the friendly people, etc. The city of Oakland has a population density of about 6,676 people per square mile while in the county of Floyd it's about 39 folks per sq. mile. We have one traffic light in the county at the intersection of the two main roads, one north/south and the other east/west.

Safety? Crime? There has been one homicide in the 8 years I've been here while Oakland averages over a hundred each year so I feel much safer here. Many people don't lock the doors of their homes or cars (except when we go to the big towns of Christiansburg or Roanoke) and several of my friends have no idea where they might even have a house key and car keys are generally left in the ignition.

The small businesses get to know you quickly. A few months ago I stopped at the market/gas station just up the road from my house and put over $120 worth of gas in my Suburban. Went in to the store to pay for it (one does not have to pay up front around here) and realized that my debit card was at home on my desk because I'd done some on line shopping earlier. I explained the problem and offered to leave the keys and truck there while I walked home and got my card. No need to walk the clerk said, just take your truck home, get the card and come back.

Most of the time that I take my car in for service about a mile from my house the shop works on it and then drops it by my house. It's up to me to remember to stop in some time later and pay the bill.

Country life suits me just fine, at least for now while my health and ability to drive are good. Some where down the road that may change but I've had 8 delightful years here so far and expect to have plenty more before I can't live on my own and either need live in help or move to some assisted living facility.

Perhaps the biggest challenge is finding hired help for those "honey-do" projects around the property (28 acres) and house that are either beyond my ability or my interest or both.
Ahh, thanks for the stroll down memory lane. I have many similar memories from when I moved to a small town as a new bride. Your post doesn't make me want to move back to the same town, as it sure changed with the influx of D.C. commuters, but it does make me jealous.

Old 12-08-2013, 10:38 PM

1,734 posts, read 1,949,697 times
Boy am I glad that this thread hasn't died.

Zugor, thanks for the update! I actually spent half a day by your way over the Thanksgiving break, my second trip to the town, third trip to the general area (because I like it, too). Regrettably, T-Mobile does not get reception there or I'd have contacted you with enough of a window for us to meet IRL.

Agree - the area is both vibrant and beautiful. They're holding awfully tight to the 'wishing prices' from the last bubble, though, lol! I'm going to need to wait until the ez-credit money dries up again.

Kudos to you for finding a vibrant, 500 person town to investigate, from way across the continent! If the shoe were on the other foot, and I had to find someplace to go like Floyd in CA, I would not have known where to start - before starting my marathon read of this thread. Thanks once again to Wisteria.

Best wishes to all for a wonderful Christmas or a Happy Hanukkah, as the case may be.

Old 12-13-2013, 07:22 PM

1,236 posts, read 3,608,485 times
Default I did it ......

I took a huge step in the direction of moving alone to a new state ..... today I listed my property with a major real estate broker so now all I need to do is figure out exactly what city and find a furnished house (after the sale, of course). I guess the state will be Florida

What was the final straw? Snow storm of 5 inches, temperature down to 05 overnight, frozen pipes, no hot water, furnace died; called plumber and was told I was #20 on the list; snowed-in for four days That did it

Old 12-13-2013, 08:02 PM

6,954 posts, read 7,393,688 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ConeyIsBabe View Post
I took a huge step in the direction of moving alone to a new state ..... today I listed my property with a major real estate broker so now all I need to do is figure out exactly what city and find a furnished house (after the sale, of course). I guess the state will be Florida

What was the final straw? Snow storm of 5 inches, temperature down to 05 overnight, frozen pipes, no hot water, furnace died; called plumber and was told I was #20 on the list; snowed-in for four days That did it
How awful! Yes, time to get out of dodge.

Old 12-13-2013, 08:27 PM

16,042 posts, read 18,978,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ConeyIsBabe View Post

Yep, that would do it for me. A winter like that here and I may be saying goodbye to everyone who wants to stay.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement