U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 12-14-2013, 06:12 AM
 
Location: Tennessee
1,362 posts, read 3,806,552 times
Reputation: 793

Advertisements

ConeyIsBabe, hope your home sells fast so you can be on your way to Florida soon. Let us know what town you decide upon.

 
Old 12-14-2013, 06:25 AM
 
404 posts, read 494,543 times
Reputation: 543
coney I too hope your house sells pronto and you find a soft place to land.
my dh and I are spending our first winter as snowbirds in lake county florida. it's pretty rural, pretty hilly and there are many lakes everywhere. the cost of living is def less than we are used to, which is really good.

my only 'complaint' is I've had trouble finding organic and humanely raised foods here, though I am traveling 30 miles today to check out a potential farm store for those items.
if that has what we like then I think we'll be very very content here.
 
Old 12-14-2013, 03:40 PM
 
Location: Nowhere near Chicago
437 posts, read 555,334 times
Reputation: 385
So the thought of moving from a busting city to a two light town isn't as scary as some would make it...... It truly depends on the PERSON, and only WE can make the decision about it being right or 'maybe not so' for US.


I WANT the smaller home town feel...... as some snarky poster said somewhere on this site, the Vermont Post Card of Main Street..... that's what I want, sans the cold and snow, but you "get the picture".


NOTHING is moving here. House isn't selling, SSDI is in appeal and everyone I love seems to be leaving where I live or just leaving my life 'cause of all that I'm going through. *I'm A HOT MESS*


TN seems to be the place that most are writing back and saying OO AAAHH, LOVE IT....> Maryville and surrounding areas. Knoxville is close enough for a jolt, but taxes, COL and temps are close to ideal as I think I'll ever find.

Getting an RV and moving around, ONCE MY HOUSE SELLS *she yells to the Universe* for a fantastic price for me, that's the plan......... RV and GO!!!!!!

What better way to learn where you want to be, who you want to be around and what you can afford?


bullie~
 
Old 12-15-2013, 01:50 AM
 
Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
22,589 posts, read 39,962,822 times
Reputation: 23725
Quote:
Originally Posted by bullie62 View Post
...
TN seems to be the place that most are writing back and saying OO AAAHH, LOVE IT....> Maryville and surrounding areas. Knoxville is close enough for a jolt, but taxes, COL and temps are close to ideal as I think I'll ever find.

...

I'll be seeing you in NE TN (in a few yrs).
I am looking into areas in a lower CoL area than Maryville, so am focused near Kingsport, Jonesborough, or Greeneville. (Elizabethton, TN is the least expensive I've found, and still close-in, yet in mtns). I've made 4 trips to the region and found some very nice rural mobile home parks. I plan to buy a cheap one and make it into a sustainable village. Primarily for seniors, but open to multi gen (we will need a few 'caregivers'...). Will have enough property for gardens and livestock, Shop / barns, and hopefully a pond, or nearby water. Some I have found just FIT that description. I have been getting very engaged this month in designing structures that will work for cottages / duplexes that will be warm in winter and cool in summer and quite inexpensive. (Want entry costs to be under $100k, hopefully $60k for a full share with home and portion ownership of village buildings / improvements. Fully marketable / inheritable upon exit.)
<20 minutes to a college, groceries, and full service healthcare is a must. My 3 locations in WA and TX are <10 minutes to all except colleges, but still less than 20 min to college. I prefer 20 min to airport also, but TX place is not so close (1 hr to San Antonio or Austin... each are NICE choices and often have discounted fares). <10 min to a nice public airport capable of 'business jets' if you happen to have one of those

Best wishes to CI-Babe, hope for a quick sell and FAST escape... You surely heard my Honking as I left OR last January (in an Ice Storm) heading to my new TX place. I grabbed some fuel and food in Grants Pass at about 10pm and honked all he way to Weed!!! (happy night (running 6 hrs late cuz I had to winch out of driveway due to ice, and mount trailer with 'Drag-chains' to slow me down on downhills))

I have RV hook-ups in all the places I make available to my traveling friends. I usually have a bath / shower / kitchen and laundry for you to share with other RV'rs

Last edited by StealthRabbit; 12-15-2013 at 01:59 AM..
 
Old 12-15-2013, 07:05 AM
 
404 posts, read 494,543 times
Reputation: 543
stealthrabbit save a place for me in that mobile park, it sounds great!!
 
Old 12-15-2013, 02:48 PM
 
1,227 posts, read 1,260,355 times
Reputation: 4309
Coney, what cities are you thinking of in Florida? I also hope your home sells quickly. While it is on the market, take some trips to Florida to explore.
 
Old 12-15-2013, 03:20 PM
 
Location: Nowhere near Chicago
437 posts, read 555,334 times
Reputation: 385
Default Women retiring alone.

Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthRabbit View Post

I'll be seeing you in NE TN (in a few yrs).
I am looking into areas in a lower CoL area than Maryville, so am focused near Kingsport, Jonesborough, or Greeneville. (Elizabethton, TN is the least expensive I've found, and still close-in, yet in mtns). I've made 4 trips to the region and found some very nice rural mobile home parks. I plan to buy a cheap one and make it into a sustainable village. Primarily for seniors, but open to multi gen (we will need a few 'caregivers'...). Will have enough property for gardens and livestock, Shop / barns, and hopefully a pond, or nearby water. Some I have found just FIT that description. I have been getting very engaged this month in designing structures that will work for cottages / duplexes that will be warm in winter and cool in summer and quite inexpensive. (Want entry costs to be under $100k, hopefully $60k for a full share with home and portion ownership of village buildings / improvements. Fully marketable / inheritable upon exit.)
<20 minutes to a college, groceries, and full service healthcare is a must. My 3 locations in WA and TX are <10 minutes to all except colleges, but still less than 20 min to college. I prefer 20 min to airport also, but TX place is not so close (1 hr to San Antonio or Austin... each are NICE choices and often have discounted fares). <10 min to a nice public airport capable of 'business jets' if you happen to have one of those

Best wishes to CI-Babe, hope for a quick sell and FAST escape... You surely heard my Honking as I left OR last January (in an Ice Storm) heading to my new TX place. I grabbed some fuel and food in Grants Pass at about 10pm and honked all he way to Weed!!! (happy night (running 6 hrs late cuz I had to winch out of driveway due to ice, and mount trailer with 'Drag-chains' to slow me down on downhills))

I have RV hook-ups in all the places I make available to my traveling friends. I usually have a bath / shower / kitchen and laundry for you to share with other RV'rs
Count me in. Seems my house won't sell for what I NEED ...... so by the time you get your community going, I want DIBS on the prime "real estate".... lol


bullie~
 
Old 12-15-2013, 05:31 PM
 
Location: Sarasota Florida
1,236 posts, read 3,608,485 times
Reputation: 1230
Default Looking for a furnished Town Home ~

Quote:
Originally Posted by LookingatFL View Post
Coney, what cities are you thinking of in Florida? I also hope your home sells quickly. While it is on the market, take some trips to Florida to explore.
My target areas in Florida are Sarasota on the west coast, Vero Beach, Stuart and south of there, on the east coast.

Any Floridians know of a nice furnished Town Home, a 2/2 with no carpets, allowing a small dog, in a good neighborhood near restaurants, shops, and a good fitness center ?? That's not asking too much, is it
 
Old 12-16-2013, 06:36 PM
 
223 posts, read 190,778 times
Reputation: 515
Bullie, Stealth,
I plan to take to the road in an RV by early Summer 2014. I have identified Grants Pass, OR; Western North Carolina, and NE Tennessee as serious contenders for my retirement. I will travel, though, with an open mind to consider points in between. I'll be looking for you on the road!

I LOVE this thread!

Best wishes to all!
 
Old 12-16-2013, 07:01 PM
 
Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
22,589 posts, read 39,962,822 times
Reputation: 23725
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xenah View Post
Bullie, Stealth,
I plan to take to the road in an RV by early Summer 2014. I have identified Grants Pass, OR; Western North Carolina, and NE Tennessee as serious contenders for my retirement. I will travel, though, with an open mind to consider points in between. I'll be looking for you on the road!

I LOVE this thread!

Best wishes to all!
Meet you here,

After Thailand... Jan - Jun...
I will be in Colorado in mid June and mid-Aug, PNW from jul 5- Sept, (summer starts in PNW 5 Jul... ends on Election Day) and in Kerrville, TX (~Thanksgiving - mid Dec). If all works out well... I will be getting another Golden Parachute from my Temp job and build out my RV and Guesthouse space my place in TX. I rented the 'main' house for $1400/month today !!! Yipee, I'm rich (I live VERY cheap...$35 car and $100/month for food and entertainment).

Master Plan is to have the main houses rented and a FREE place for me and my friends. When I get too old to manage rentals (~age 75 -80) I will decide where my 'Keeper / long-term home' is and sell the rest on contract. (= monthly income)

When I'm age 80+ I will move to one of my 'villages' or similar. where caregiver will be accessible.

But... Plans seem to change... NOTHING has worked per plan yet. I never count on tomorrow... it may not come. But today I had a blast .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top