U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-02-2014, 09:17 AM

6,119 posts, read 9,071,114 times

Advertisements

Hi Msbehaving: I live in AZ and can tell you its safe. Nothing to worry about. There are TONS of us singles, older, unattached people here. If you want to be outside year round, this is the place, except for summer when you really will want to be inside after 9AM because of 110 degree heat. You can be outside in the early early AM but sometimes it doesn't cool off, even at 10 pm.
Gardening is a challenge here due to desert soil. I have been here 11 years from SNOWY Chicago (especially now) and have not yet mastered growing veggies here ever. If you want to be in a 55+ community, it will make it easier to make friends, since there are tons of clubs and activities where you easily meet others your age. If you visit, come in the heat of summer to see what you think. Its not for everyone.

Old 01-02-2014, 01:59 PM

8,611 posts, read 9,674,534 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by msbehaving View Post
It's so nice to find other women in my situation. I'm 59, still working for the time being. I currently live in Minnesota (so COLD!), but am from California. I could never afford to move back to California, but have been looking at Arizona, which still seems to be reasonable, although I worry about how safe it is.
It's hard getting older and being a woman on your own. I've lived here for several years, and my sons live here, but I figure if I move somewhere warm it'll give them a nice place to visit in the Winter! I'll visit them in the Summer!
It is hard to meet other women my age who want to get out and do things. The idea of a commune type community where you have your own apt and share chores sounds delightful! I envision a big garden where everyone shares the work and the vegetables. How fun that would be, and it would be easy to get to know other people when you share daily tasks.
If anyone lives in Arizona, it would be wonderful to here where the good areas are and what there is to do there. I just want to be somewhere where I can go outside year rounds. Minnesota is just too cold for this semi-old lady!
You might really like Arizona. It's a big state with varying weather, altitudes and geography. I live in the north central part of the state. Not as hot as further south...Phoenix/Tucson...not as cold as Flagstaff/Prescott but pretty decent year round. Yes, it gets in the 90s in summer and sometimes even into the three digits but it could be worse! Our day time temps right now are in the high 50s/mid 60s and 35-40 nights. Warm sun coming in the windows all day so no heat running.

If you like the outdoors you can be out and about most of the time. This is a very scenic and historical area and there is always something to do, someplace to go, if you want to. We have nice gardens here too and the ones who work at it do REALLY well. We have TONS of medical stuff here, a good hospital and doctors. Medical care employs a lot of people here as well. We have plenty of senior, and/or reasonable, housing. One BR apts average $550 mo. and 2 BD apts average $575. If you like the 55+ communities we have plenty of those too and prices to buy in them are CHEAP. They are all well kept and managed and have 'just enough' amenities.

As far as friends...I don't know. I have lived here off and on my entire life and I can't say I have any real friends. It's been very hard to find them and I work with quite a few women my age, within 10 years, I guess. Even the widowed ladies don't seem much interested in getting together to do anything so, unless I do things on my own...which I do!...I'd never do anything. Don't know if it's like that all over but seems to be here. I did try going to the senior center but I have nothing in common with them, except age, and most weren't all that friendly. I tell myself that they have all the friends they need and aren't interested in any more.

If you like you can Google Verde Valley, AZ and you'll get a lot of info. Or "what to do in Verde Valley" and get a million hits! lol

Old 01-02-2014, 02:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ConeyIsBabe View Post
The "why" can only be answered by one word ..... family
Family...that was one of the biggest reasons I ended up back here, in my hometown...again. But I have to say I've been sorely disappointed in my family thus far. I have been VERY family oriented my whole life and growing up with my grandparents, aunts, uncles and cousins made me feel like family was VERY important. Well, now days my family acts like they don't even KNOW one another most of the time. It's frustrating when I see two brothers, close all their lives, practically hating one another now. It makes me feel bad for my mom that her sons rarely come to see her and her grandkids, for the most part, ignore her. I DO know and understand part of it but can't convince my brothers that this is just Mom and how she is so accept it. She won't be here forever so they need to invite her to their homes for holiday dinners, take her to lunch, or dinner, for b'days and Mother's Day. It's nice that one calls, sends a card and/or sends her flowers but they both LIVE here for Pete's sake and can't be bothered getting together with her.

Then there's my sister who lives a long ways away but calls Mom nearly every single day. She has nothing better to do and Mom is at the point where she just doesn't answer the phone a lot anymore. It would be one thing if she ever had anything good to say but it's all whine, cry, moan and groan. She's not allowed to have my phone number because I don't/won't deal with her constant drama. So, I don't know which is worse...being ignored by your kids or being their constant 'shoulder' to cry on.

Sorry for this mini rant but this stuff has been heavy on my mind and heart throughout the entire holiday season...one reason I'm glad it's over! I keep thinking my sibs will "grow up" but they are all in their 60s now so I think it's a little too late.

Old 01-02-2014, 02:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhxBarb View Post
Hi Msbehaving: I live in AZ and can tell you its safe. Nothing to worry about. There are TONS of us singles, older, unattached people here. If you want to be outside year round, this is the place, except for summer when you really will want to be inside after 9AM because of 110 degree heat. You can be outside in the early early AM but sometimes it doesn't cool off, even at 10 pm.
Gardening is a challenge here due to desert soil. I have been here 11 years from SNOWY Chicago (especially now) and have not yet mastered growing veggies here ever. If you want to be in a 55+ community, it will make it easier to make friends, since there are tons of clubs and activities where you easily meet others your age. If you visit, come in the heat of summer to see what you think. Its not for everyone.
And I was just telling her how good gardening is here! lol Well, it IS better up here in the Verde Valley than in Phoenix, I suppose, although it can take a bit of 'soil modifying'. Depending on the area. Really good closer to the river but my back yard does pretty good. Raised beds.

I forgot to comment on the "safe" part but I agree with you. I have never felt unsafe, even living in Phoenix and Mesa.

Old 01-02-2014, 03:33 PM

8,093 posts, read 13,225,721 times
Quote:
I envision a big garden
Gardening in the desert -

Raised beds on the east side of the house, with a gauze shade and lots of water

Old 01-02-2014, 04:02 PM

2,626 posts, read 4,949,307 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gandalara View Post
Gardening in the desert -

Raised beds on the east side of the house, with a gauze shade and lots of water
I've lived in south Florida for 40+ years. I'll never forget the first time I tried to dig a hole with a shovel . Useless!! The limestone rock is about 2-3 " below the surface. Ya have to use a pick ax to dig holes down here . There are no nutrients in our 'soil' and the weeds grow year round . The 'vegetables and annuals' are grown down here from November through April. Try and grow a decent tomato here??? Forget about it!!! Fungus, hornworm caterpillars, rootknot nematodes in our soils. Humidity promotes disease and mildew.

I grew up in the Midwest where we grew wonderful veggies, strawberries, rhubarb, peonies, lavender, all kinds of neat annuals and perennials....during the long days of summer and fall... It was pretty easy digging in relatively rich soils. Oh and the spring bulbs....nope, won't grow where they don't have a dormant (cold) period!

So, I want to move back to the Midwest , I think!

Old 01-02-2014, 04:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by popcorn247 View Post
I've lived in south Florida for 40+ years. I'll never forget the first time I tried to dig a hole with a shovel . Useless!! The limestone rock is about 2-3 " below the surface. Ya have to use a pick ax to dig holes down here . There are no nutrients in our 'soil' and the weeds grow year round . The 'vegetables and annuals' are grown down here from November through April. Try and grow a decent tomato here??? Forget about it!!! Fungus, hornworm caterpillars, rootknot nematodes in our soils. Humidity promotes disease and mildew.

I grew up in the Midwest where we grew wonderful veggies, strawberries, rhubarb, peonies, lavender, all kinds of neat annuals and perennials....during the long days of summer and fall... It was pretty easy digging in relatively rich soils. Oh and the spring bulbs....nope, won't grow where they don't have a dormant (cold) period!

So, I want to move back to the Midwest , I think!
I've only been to Florida a few times and always in Dec. or Jan.. One of the things that impressed me so much were the winter crops along the Gulf Coast. Lots of U Pick fields, if I remember right. I do remember wishing I could live someplace where I could garden year round. Is there a big difference in soil from one area to another?

Old 01-02-2014, 04:18 PM

2,626 posts, read 4,949,307 times
There can be a big difference in the soil. Many areas of Florida are sandy. That is where much of the winter crops are grown, but during the summer, the fields may not be used. Many crops cannot tolerate our extreme heat, humidity and lack of cooler evening temperatures. Down here, during June through October, nighttime temps may go down as low as 78 or up to 83 (night time temps, folks!). During the summer days, temps are 88 to 94...every damn day, unless we get showers (happens often) and then after a quick shower, out comes the sun and you can see steam rising from the hot, wet roads !

Old 01-02-2014, 04:33 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
22,537 posts, read 39,914,033 times
Quote:
The idea of a commune type community where you have your own apt and share chores sounds delightful! I envision a big garden where everyone shares the work and the vegetables. How fun that would be, and it would be easy to get to know other people when you share daily tasks.
... I just want to be somewhere where I can go outside year round.
"Intentional Community is an inclusive term for ecovillages, cohousing communities, residential land trusts, communes, student co-ops, urban housing cooperatives, intentional living, alternative communities, cooperative living, and other projects where people strive together with a common vision."

Intentional Communities - ecovillages, communes, cohousing, coops
The search by state seems to be broken today, but there are several in AZ. (Tuscon for sure has some IC's, one of my more favorite places in AZ, tho Prescott and Show Low are more probable to my tastes and also have lots of retirees (Mtn, cool, trees, elevation) PHX is just too hot, flat, and huge for me)

Eco villages / cohousing... all worth a search. Some are fine, some are challenging, all are different.

This is another good resource. Marianne is very helpful and 'seasoned' on the subject.
About | Women for Living in Community

Quote:
Minnesota is just too cold for this semi-old lady!
Darn... ...Becketwood one of my favorite senior co-ops in MSP (where about 80 of 100 USA Senior co-ops are placed... the founders say it is MUCH ezr to have healthy Co-ops with Scandinavians (Hot-dish-happy)) Of course many of us farmer / REA types have been familiar with co-ops (+/-) for decades.
Senior Cooperative Foundation Of course to 'visit' these co-ops often seem to be populated with age 80+, but recently more 55 yr olds... they are just 'out-and-about' when you usually visit. Try to attend a special event, (Like the gardening club meeting).

I'm working on building a similar 'gardening / mini-farm' senior community in PNW. Great YR gardening climate if you don't mind RAIN and mud. It won't be complete anytime soon... we are acquiring adjacent properties as people age / move. Plan to have cottages with lots of greenspace, Apartment for caregiver / guests, we have a common meeting hall, and greenhouse already, it's on a dead-end road that has a nature preserve, and is 10 minutes to Downtown Portland, OR (sales tax free), but is located in income tax free WA.

Stay tuned... don't hold your breath or disrupt your plans. Go try out some communities and feedback to all the rest of us. It is not for all

Last edited by StealthRabbit; 01-02-2014 at 04:46 PM..

Old 01-02-2014, 06:04 PM

698 posts, read 766,714 times
Quote:
It is hard to meet other women my age who want to get out and do things. The idea of a commune type community where you have your own apt and share chores sounds delightful! I envision a big garden where everyone shares the work and the vegetables. How fun that would be, and it would be easy to get to know other people when you share daily tasks.
If anyone lives in Arizona, it would be wonderful to here where the good areas are and what there is to do there. I just want to be somewhere where I can go outside year rounds. Minnesota is just too cold for this semi-old lady!
I agree, some kind of community sounds delightful or even a house share situation.
I've considered AZ also but I've already done an east to west coast move and back, not interested in that anytime soon. How about NM?
Poke around online, you might find what you are looking for out there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement