U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-02-2014, 07:19 PM

6,954 posts, read 7,396,297 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by msbehaving View Post
It's so nice to find other women in my situation. I'm 59, still working for the time being. I currently live in Minnesota (so COLD!), but am from California. I could never afford to move back to California, but have been looking at Arizona, which still seems to be reasonable, although I worry about how safe it is.
It's hard getting older and being a woman on your own. I've lived here for several years, and my sons live here, but I figure if I move somewhere warm it'll give them a nice place to visit in the Winter! I'll visit them in the Summer!
It is hard to meet other women my age who want to get out and do things. The idea of a commune type community where you have your own apt and share chores sounds delightful! I envision a big garden where everyone shares the work and the vegetables. How fun that would be, and it would be easy to get to know other people when you share daily tasks.
If anyone lives in Arizona, it would be wonderful to here where the good areas are and what there is to do there. I just want to be somewhere where I can go outside year rounds. Minnesota is just too cold for this semi-old lady!
And the worst is yet to come - I know it's been this cold but I heard it was in the '90s. Where are my cuddl duds!

Old 01-04-2014, 09:45 PM

20,265 posts, read 12,132,962 times
wow a lot of posts??? I'd get a tiny condo in Fl for yearly visits and Drs etc. and hit Costa Rica

Old 01-04-2014, 11:14 PM

21,697 posts, read 23,676,966 times
Hey everyone. I haven't posted since last November so I thought I would catch up. So many great posts here since. I am glad this thread wasn't killed off and it's up and running again. I wasn't around to see all the trouble but in the words of the great Ned Flanders, I am so glad that things are all "okakley doakely" again.

I think I may have posted on one of the threads going on that my plans to relocate to Cleveland were thwarted by a nasty lung fungus last spring. I almost thought I was going to meet the great ceiling cat in the sky. I wasn't even allowed to fly until August. I wasn't really feeling all that great even after I got the okay so I figured I would stick around Portland until next spring. It looks like I missed some pretty heavy storms going on right now so that was one thing I had going for me.

Anyhoo, I am once again going to make my plans around April to go to Cleveland and do some apartment hunting, fly back to Portland and then make my moving plans. I think my biggest worry is getting my Senior Citizen kitty there without her having a heart attack at the flight. I might just hired one of those pet airlines to fly her directly there. Ugh! I wish it was like Star Trek and I could just beam us over there.

Anyway, keep up the great work ladies. So many of you have been through so much. I am proud to be a part of this.

Old 01-05-2014, 08:05 PM

3,359 posts, read 10,914,853 times
I've just posted an ad here on city-data for a house share with me in central florida right next to the Villages. I love it here, so beautiful and tons of stuff to do. "It doesn't get much better than this" - I hear that all the time here. If anyone is interested check the ad out or message me.

Old 01-05-2014, 08:36 PM

698 posts, read 767,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sgoldie View Post
I've just posted an ad here on city-data for a house share with me in central florida right next to the Villages. I love it here, so beautiful and tons of stuff to do. "It doesn't get much better than this" - I hear that all the time here. If anyone is interested check the ad out or message me.
That's a great idea. I might end up doing the same thing here in Orlando area
OR I might move to NC or SC for the 4 seasons

Old 01-07-2014, 10:30 AM

113 posts, read 130,378 times
Iv lived alone a right good while cept for my critters.Ill be retiring alone.Staying in the mountains,gardening,landscaping and working on my little house and out buildings.Done started lots of projects but becuz of my jobs never had time to finish much.

Old 01-07-2014, 03:57 PM

4,574 posts, read 7,063,489 times
folks, be careful of moving to NC now. They are changing their tax laws...no income tax but will tax all pensions, annuities, etc. So I woud suggest doing some research on whether that would work out better or worse for you!

Old 01-07-2014, 04:05 PM

6,954 posts, read 7,396,297 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by loveautumn View Post
folks, be careful of moving to NC now. They are changing their tax laws...no income tax but will tax all pensions, annuities, etc. So I woud suggest doing some research on whether that would work out better or worse for you!
Of course - so many retirees are moving there - it's a gold mine for the govt. I need to look at this but I currently live in a state that was #7 on the tax burden list - that was before our state geniuses added a bunch more taxes so now we must be #5.

Old 01-07-2014, 04:14 PM

16,042 posts, read 18,985,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by loveautumn View Post
and significant changes in politics, for better or worse depending on where you're coming from

Old 01-07-2014, 05:27 PM

31 posts, read 37,125 times
I have been lurking on this thread forever it seems, following various adventures and gathering information in preparation for the inevitable. I hadn't planned on retiring just yet (I'm only 56), but I suspect I will be jobless in a month or two. My financial adviser tells me if I'm willing/able to live on less, I should be in a position to retire now.

This week I contacted a realtor and have begun sorting through my belongings in earnest. I’m hoping to have the house sold and my things in storage within 4-6 months from now. At that point I’d like to take an extended trip up and down the coast of California in search of a place to settle down. Friends think I’m crazy; I’m told California is too dangerous, crowded and expensive. Truth is the city I reside in Texas is far more dangerous than NYC or LA according to the statistics I have gleaned from this site and the web. I have never gotten used to the intensely hot summers (I’m from Canada) and I don’t care for the politics here either. Yes, California is more expensive, but where there’s a will, there’s a way.

All my life I have wanted to live near the coast and the climate in California strikes me as ideal. At one point I also considered the southern portion of the east coast, but I doubt I could handle the humidity.

I have been intrigued by the thought of living in a mobile home (an idea I got from this very thread), preferably in a community where the residents own the land rather than lease it. These appear to be scattered throughout California and I’m interested in checking them out in the San Diego area as well as Santa Cruz and Monterey. I have visited both regions over the years and although different, I remember liking both very much. I have family in the Los Angeles area and the thought of being closer to them pleases me.

This is such a strange time for me. I feel an odd mixture of excitement and fear. For the moment what's keeping me grounded is clearing the clutter and packing up boxes. One day at a time, I guess.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement