U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-07-2014, 07:29 PM

698 posts, read 768,198 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pashko View Post

I have been intrigued by the thought of living in a mobile home (an idea I got from this very thread), preferably in a community where the residents own the land rather than lease it. These appear to be scattered throughout California and Iím interested in checking them out in the San Diego area as well as Santa Cruz and Monterey.
Don't let the naysayers keep you from doing what you want to do. CA is beautiful, that's my dream place to live and not all places in CA are crowded. Northern CA has some beautiful towns that aren't crowded

Just outside Sonoma there's a beautiful mobile home park, I'm pretty sure it's for 55 and up, not sure if you own the land but it sure is a nice place. It's not your typical trailer park. And it's in a beautiful spot outside the business of downtown, which is gorgeous!

I say, go for it, you only live once!

Old 01-07-2014, 07:39 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
22,649 posts, read 40,020,325 times
Quote:
... hadn't planned on retiring just yet (I'm only 56), but ..., I should be in a position to retire now.
If you find CA too expensive, consider WA (near Sequim for best 'mild' weather or Ocean Shores (rainy but cheap)). No income tax in WA (similar to TX). I live on the border of WA and OR, so have sales tax free shopping in OR, but more important to me, is ez access to many colleges / culture and a great airport PDX (To get to CA, CO, or TX for sun). My place in Kerrville, TX is pretty safe. I just don't go there in Summer. (PNW is ideal during summer). Wenatchee or Walla Walla are on the east side of Mtns and have drier weather, and both great retirement locales.

I fly to San Diego, or Bay area frequently and VERY cheap. I stay in Hospitality homes ($10- $20/night), so it is a good escape from rain.

There are lists of 'Resident Owned Mobile home parks'... usually you do NOT own your lot, but you own a share of the whole park. You can also buy a MH in the countryside on it's own lot / well / septic. Very cheap living, and I can get them for under for $100k in my area.

Good luck and get busy throwing stuff OUT...

Remember the box trick.
BIG box = throw-away'
med box = Give away
small box = put away / keep. Place them in a prominent place where you have to stumble over them, and empty them every day.

Old 01-07-2014, 09:46 PM

31 posts, read 37,144 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VTGal View Post
Just outside Sonoma there's a beautiful mobile home park, I'm pretty sure it's for 55 and up, not sure if you own the land but it sure is a nice place. It's not your typical trailer park. And it's in a beautiful spot outside the business of downtown, which is gorgeous!

I say, go for it, you only live once!
I'm not at all familiar with Sonoma, but you are the second person to mention it. I had to check a map to see where it was! It's reasonably close to the coast and definitely worth a small detour!

Old 01-07-2014, 09:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthRabbit View Post
If you find CA too expensive, consider WA (near Sequim for best 'mild' weather or Ocean Shores (rainy but cheap)). No income tax in WA (similar to TX).
I know that area, my mum lives in Sequim. She chose that for her retirement after researching the weather (and micro climates) in that region. She loves it there, but at times longs for a bit more sunshine.

Quote:
Good luck and get busy throwing stuff OUT...

Remember the box trick.
BIG box = throw-away'
med box = Give away
small box = put away / keep. Place them in a prominent place where you have to stumble over them, and empty them every day.
Thanks for the advice! I'm not much of a shopper (I hate shopping), yet I'm surprised how much junk I have managed to accumulate. I'm hoping to whittle everything down to fit into a single moving pod, although I might end up with two.

Old 01-08-2014, 08:50 PM

698 posts, read 768,198 times
Quote:

Thanks for the advice! I'm not much of a shopper (I hate shopping), yet I'm surprised how much junk I have managed to accumulate. I'm hoping to whittle everything down to fit into a single moving pod, although I might end up with two.
Yes check out Sonoma!

I've moved both ways, east to west coast and back, regarding pods, don't use ABF, LOTS of dirt gets inside those pods and they use fork lifts to move them around which can be a really bumpy ride. And if you don't pack them really type and use straps to secure your stuff, things WILL get damaged.

It's cheaper and safer to use a moving company, meaning one of the independent guys. I found someone through Movex, worked out great, much cheaper and my stuff arrived in one once with no damage. Faster transport than the pod. The driver gave me updates along the way. some of them will transport your vehicle as well.

Old 01-09-2014, 02:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VTGal View Post
.... regarding pods, don't use ABF, LOTS of dirt gets inside those pods and they use fork lifts to move them around which can be a really bumpy ride. And if you don't pack them really type and use straps to secure your stuff, things WILL get damaged.
I hadn't considered that. When it's closer to my moving date I will have a look through Angie's List and check which moving companies people have had good experiences with.

Old 01-10-2014, 12:07 PM

3,213 posts, read 3,204,663 times
I'm 35 and retiring to Costa Rica.

Just 30 more years (or 35, or 40, or....) of working to go until retirement!

Old 01-10-2014, 03:08 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
22,649 posts, read 40,020,325 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southkakkatlantan View Post
I'm 35 and retiring to Costa Rica.

Just 30 more years (or 35, or 40, or....) of working to go until retirement!
35 is a perfect age to retire.

Retire early, retire often. You can always go back to work if you must.

Old 01-13-2014, 12:44 PM

4,635 posts, read 4,479,613 times
Quote:

I "retire" every Friday afternoon, but by Sunday night I get bored and change my mind and head into work on Monday morning.

Old 01-13-2014, 03:03 PM

14,018 posts, read 17,756,785 times
Quote:

Depending on one's skill set, experience, and certifications, it may be easy to just "go back to work" as you state, or it may be very difficult to impossible to return to a decent-paying job once one is out of the work force. Apparently you have had no trouble doing that, but it may not be such a slam-dunk for others.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement