U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-23-2014, 12:45 PM

8,093 posts, read 13,231,206 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by deedolce View Post
Hi VTGal, thank you for asking! I tend to be a thread killer, lol.

Sedona is too expensive, and my mate's family is from NM, and we were thinking AZ would be between his family and mine.
He used to live in Phoenix, and I remember how it felt like an oven, even at night!

This summer we're driving out to visit his family (in Carrizozo) and will spend a night in Kingman. He likes Kingman, but from what I've read on the AZ C-D thread, it's always windy there. Next summer, we'll planning a trip to Tucson, and staying for 3 days or so to look around, and see how it 'feels' to us. If it's positive, we'll go for a longer visit the next summer.

I figure I can always downsize more and move back to CA. Scary, but yes, I have to think of it as an adventure! I'm such a homebody, I sit in front of the computer and read/game/knit for way too many hours these days when I'm not working.
Suggestion - Look into Sierra Vista. Higher elevation, so it's cooler, but still a desert landscape. +40K population. About 75 miles southeast of Tucson.

Oh - and downsize before you leave CA

Old 02-09-2014, 09:30 AM

105 posts, read 112,235 times
My almost 25 year old daughter that still lives with me is a bit of a hoarder (in the genes, although I avoided it) and so it'll be greatly downsized! Hopefully she'll be done with college by then and on her own. Better be.

Sierra Vista is beautiful, but I'm looking pretty seriously at Marana. Closer in to stuff I'd like to do, but still out of Tucson itself.

Old 02-19-2014, 05:15 PM

13,324 posts, read 25,293,022 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newenglandgirl View Post
Going in an out of decent paying jobs easily is next to impossible at older ages. At any age.
This is true. Everything that's out there is minimum wage or just above.

Old 02-20-2014, 12:23 PM

318 posts, read 643,018 times
Hi there,

I'm not quite at retirement age (almost 44) but I'm single and anticipating retiring single. I wanted to throw out a suggestion to check out San Antonio, TX as a possible retirement option.

I have lived in a lot of places and SA is among the best. Pros: good climate nearly all year. Yes, summers are hot, but I don't find the humidity to be unbearable. Affordable housing and no state income tax. An abundance of medical care facilities: I have never been in a location with as many hospitals. South TX Medical Center is a concentration of hospitals, medical schools, urgent care facilities and health science centers; a lot of students stick around after graduation so unlike other places I've lived, finding a doctor has not been a problem. SA feels rather safe for a city its size. And because SA is the #1 tourist destination in Texas, there is a comparatively large number of restaurants, museums, and attractions. Finally, SA is in Hill Country so you have an interesting topography that allows for good hiking and biking if that's your thing. Austin is an hour and a half away and affords even more activities.

The cons are high property taxes, but if you live outside of city limits you will pay less in taxes. And it is family-oriented; many people who live here grew up here, and since there aren't as many newcomers as you would find in Dallas or Phoenix, it can be tougher to meet people. But I'm shy so I'm not the best example. And since the city is growing quickly, more newcomers move here every year.

Old 02-20-2014, 03:17 PM

318 posts, read 643,018 times
Just to follow up on this last post of mine, someone reached out and pointed out that SA is flood prone. While there are some areas of SA that can experience flooding (I'm thinking Alamo Heights for example), we are in Hill Country and there are plenty of places to live that don't experience any flooding at all. I think there has been one flood of note on the news since I have been here.

I live on a hill...if I'm ever flooded out of my house, then it would have to be a flood of epic proportions! But thank you to the person who pointed out potential flooding as a concern.

Old 02-23-2014, 10:45 AM

2,049 posts, read 1,332,357 times
I am a 54 year old native Californian. I retired some 3 years ago.

I purchased a home in Las Vegas, NV, which is where my 2 adult children live. Currently, I split about half my time between CA and NV. At some point soon, I will become a full time NV resident.

Old 02-23-2014, 11:30 AM

277 posts, read 298,303 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Erratikmind View Post
I am a 54 year old native Californian. I retired some 3 years ago.

I purchased a home in Las Vegas, NV, which is where my 2 adult children live. Currently, I split about half my time between CA and NV. At some point soon, I will become a full time NV resident.
Just curious why you choose, at a relatively young age, Las Vegas over the Bay Area. And why not continue boomeranging? Are your kids living in the house for now? Do you rent it part-time, stay part-time?

I regret giving up my foothold in CA (a lease option on a 3600 sq' house in Pebble Beach with a view of Point Lobos and Carmel Bay for $64K--a bargain way back then in '77). Do you think you'll miss it, and do you anticipate some continued presence there? At least I have my mom to visit in Palo Alto, lol.

Old 02-23-2014, 02:00 PM

2,049 posts, read 1,332,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mastequila View Post
Just curious why you choose, at a relatively young age, Las Vegas over the Bay Area. And why not continue boomeranging? Are your kids living in the house for now? Do you rent it part-time, stay part-time?

I regret giving up my foothold in CA (a lease option on a 3600 sq' house in Pebble Beach with a view of Point Lobos and Carmel Bay for $64K--a bargain way back then in '77). Do you think you'll miss it, and do you anticipate some continued presence there? At least I have my mom to visit in Palo Alto, lol.
Sorry for the confusion. I had planned to retire in Las Vegas to be close to my 2 adult kids and grandson. They each own their own homes.

All of my siblings and parents reside in San Francisco/San Mateo County and I have rental properties in S.F. As such, I will probably spend about 1/3 of my time in the Bay Area.

I was made a business offer, which I could not refuse. Sooooo, I jumped ship, so to speak. I have not regretted the decision and consider myself quite fortunate.

Old 02-24-2014, 04:09 AM

5,365 posts, read 5,640,041 times
Green Valley, Arizona.

Not sure if Green Valley, Arizona has been mentioned.
Green Valley, AZ is 30 minutes south of Tucson. Green Valley is a 55+ community.
Green Valley is an unincorporated city/town/area of about 30-40,000 people.
Many of the homes have deeded rights to Green Valley Recreation - a non profit - that has a recreation complex and a multiplicity of swimming pools scattered about the entire community.
All/many civic organizations to join up for social activities. And Green Valley Rec. organizes others.
In Green Valley one can never state that there is nothing to do.

Close enough to Tucson for big city activities and multiplicity of hospitals and medical care. Many Tucson doctors/clinics have offices in Green Valley. Lots of volunteers that will take you anywhere at no charge if time comes for no driving.

Prices for homes in Green Valley start around $100,000 and go up to $750,000. And of course, there are many rentals.

Old 02-24-2014, 10:49 AM

14,260 posts, read 23,987,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by unit731 View Post
Green Valley, Arizona.

Not sure if Green Valley, Arizona has been mentioned.
Green Valley, AZ is 30 minutes south of Tucson. Green Valley is a 55+ community.
Green Valley is an unincorporated city/town/area of about 30-40,000 people.
Many of the homes have deeded rights to Green Valley Recreation - a non profit - that has a recreation complex and a multiplicity of swimming pools scattered about the entire community.
All/many civic organizations to join up for social activities. And Green Valley Rec. organizes others.
In Green Valley one can never state that there is nothing to do.

Close enough to Tucson for big city activities and multiplicity of hospitals and medical care. Many Tucson doctors/clinics have offices in Green Valley. Lots of volunteers that will take you anywhere at no charge if time comes for no driving.

Prices for homes in Green Valley start around $100,000 and go up to $750,000. And of course, there are many rentals.

I agree with you - up to the last sentence. There are NUMEROUS properties in Green Valley from $50,000 - $100,000 in the Villas East and West as well as in the Desert Hills area. A lot of the low-end places are built in a manner that is senior friendly (low light switches, wheelchair friendly restrooms, etc.).

There is a $2400 initiation fee to Green Valley Recreation at the time of purchase and a $440 annual fee for use of the GVR facilities that is mandatory.

One thing that you did NOT mention as so few Green Valley residents use it is the Sun Shuttle to Tucson that runs six days a week and costs a whopping $1.50 one way. Once in Tucson, you can connect to Sun Trans which will get you anywhere you need to go in the Tucson area. U have been riding it several times a week to the University of Arizona.

What is pretty cool about the area is that 48% of Green Valley residents serve as volunteers for various non-profits in the Green Valley/Sahuarita area.

We are in the process of purchasing a home in the area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement