U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-05-2014, 12:46 PM

6,954 posts, read 7,390,042 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by loveautumn View Post
Umbria, I hope you will share all your adventures and thoughts after your trip to NC, I'll definitely be interested in what impressions you come away with. As far as my progress, I notified my supervisor this week that I will be retiring on August 5 so I can start the process of making decisions on medical care, etc. I feel relieved, excited and scared too, because my money will be tight. But it will be worth it to have freedom to do the things I want to do. So 5 months from today....

I decided to retire first since that is kind of overwhelming itself and then I can focus more on making a decision on moving to a less expensive place to live. I tried to handle doing both but it was really too much. North Carolina is still on my list, but probably in the Raleigh area. I hope to visit either in July or right after I retire to see if I can really handle the hot/humid summers. After the bitter, long winters the east coast has had to endure this year (and unfortunately I think it will be like this for some years to come), I've had to really reconsider any thoughts of moving to the NE/New England area. I did visit Charlottesville, VA last fall, it was a nice place but probably too small for me.
I will provide a trip report when I return - if you never hear from me, well, dum de dum~~~~

Once you're retired there's no point in hurrying to decide anything - one great luxury of retirement.

5 months will go fast - or it could take forever I guess.

Congrats!!

Old 03-05-2014, 12:51 PM

6,954 posts, read 7,390,042 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hazfora View Post

I shiver just thinking that there are still places in the US that have ties to KKK. Other ideologies permit living harmoniously and without harm to or coercion of others, but to have an organized group like the KKK among you is scary to say the least.

What did you mean by "There is one area of NC that must wonder . . . idyllic place."

I'm not sure if you meant it was idyllic before or after it became a melting pot (i.e. where every law-abiding, civilized citizen is welcome). What culture is being decimated? I am curious -- what is the name of the town? I wanted to know because I was considering NC or SC as a retirement town but I don't know the prevalent community atmosphere there.

I also read somewhere in this forum that NC/SC is no longer an ideal retirement place because they are changing (or have changed) the tax laws that favored retirees and are now doing the opposite -- making them pay for living there.
The idyllic spot is Southport - a small quaint village on the coast. At times I wonder how the natives feel with all the transplants moving in - their culture is bound to affected. Many NC cities are getting hit big with transplants - again, this has to affect the culture.

I hear taxes in NC have gone up but I live in MN - NC has a long way to go to catch up with our taxes. We were #7 on the list for highest taxes and after the latest changes we must be at 5 or 6 now.

Old 03-05-2014, 01:25 PM

16,042 posts, read 18,969,510 times
Quote:
I decided to retire first since that is kind of overwhelming itself and then I can focus more on making a decision on moving to a less expensive place to live. I tried to handle doing both but it was really too much. North Carolina is still on my list, but probably in the Raleigh area. I hope to visit either in July or right after I retire to see if I can really handle the hot/humid summers. After the bitter, long winters the east coast has had to endure this year (and unfortunately I think it will be like this for some years to come), I've had to really reconsider any thoughts of moving to the NE/New England area. I did visit Charlottesville, VA last fall, it was a nice place but probably too small for me.
When one of my kids was living in Cary and working in Raleigh we went down to visit 3 or 4 times, during summers. I liked the area quite a bit (Chapel Hill nice, but pricey) and areas of Raleigh quite nice. What hit me like a ton of lead was the ovenlike heat and humidity. It was hard to get past, for me. You live in a.c. or die. What it boils down to, in terms of climate, do you want to live in fire or ice. I think now, being older than when we made those visits, I am more inclined to fire. The ice is just way too much. But that's easy to say until you get immersed in it for months (the fire).

I liked Charlottesville; in fact, there are several places in Virginia I would consider if I were moving. I liked the Roanoke area as well as SW area. C'ville is old money, great place for college kids and senior citizens. They spare nothing on senior housing, senior center, senior activities. Roanoke has a good deal of arts and events.

Old 03-05-2014, 01:47 PM

4,572 posts, read 7,055,913 times
Ain't it the truth...seems our choices are either 100 degrees for long summers or zero degrees for long winters...and some places have both! Course living here I am truly spoiled but I keep doing my budget over and over and a move has to happen at some point. I've always preferred the cold but not like you all have endured this winter, it has been brutal. I'm thinking, and I could be wrong, but when it's hot one can still go outside for at least a little while and not get cabin fever, but when it is so cold, I wouldn't think anybody could stay outside for very long, and cabin fever would definitely set in with me. I am so used to just being able to walk outside all the time.

I sure hope Florida, the Carolinas, California, etc. are ready for the onslaught of folks moving from the frigid temperatures. Or maybe it's like child birth, you kind of forget the pain once it's over...until the next time.

Old 03-05-2014, 02:00 PM

16,042 posts, read 18,969,510 times
Quote:
Ain't it the truth...seems our choices are either 100 degrees for long summers or zero degrees for long winters...and some places have both! Course living here I am truly spoiled but I keep doing my budget over and over and a move has to happen at some point. I've always preferred the cold but not like you all have endured this winter, it has been brutal. I'm thinking, and I could be wrong, but when it's hot one can still go outside for at least a little while and not get cabin fever, but when it is so cold, I wouldn't think anybody could stay outside for very long, and cabin fever would definitely set in with me. I am so used to just being able to walk outside all the time.

I sure hope Florida, the Carolinas, California, etc. are ready for the onslaught of folks moving from the frigid temperatures. Or maybe it's like child birth, you kind of forget the pain once it's over...until the next time.

Well to be honest, New England winter is not all zero degrees. We usually hover between 25 and 35 degrees daytime, with an occasional shot upward or downward. This winter has been exceptional to that pattern. When I read about what the temps have been across Texas and the South this winter, it occurs to me that in order to really get consistent winter warmth you either have to stay in CA or move to FL. Any other place is a mixed bag, even, I read, in FL.

The problem with winters in the North is not the cold as much as the length. I have a son in the PNW who sees no sun all winter and then tons of rain. Yet people who live there apparently put up with it for the other amenities. IMO, you can live in paradise climate-wise but could still be unhappy if there's no human connections and enough activities. A beach isn't 24-7. (Well, maybe...)

Old 03-05-2014, 03:04 PM

2,626 posts, read 4,950,140 times
Quote:

Right now South Florida is full of visitors from the north

Old 03-05-2014, 04:53 PM

8,093 posts, read 13,227,512 times
Quote:

I sure hope Florida, the Carolinas, California, etc. are ready for the onslaught of folks moving from the frigid temperatures.
Might make it easier for me, when the For Sale sign goes up in the front yard

Old 03-05-2014, 05:24 PM

6,121 posts, read 9,073,863 times
There are alot of northerners coming to AZ. People are buying up houses like crazy here, mostly as winter homes. They don't want to give up their houses in their own states, so they are spending money here for a second place, either house or condo. I am a reverse mover. If I could afford a place to move to for the summer months, I would not be leaving AZ. But the 100 degrees for several months here just make me irritable. Need to win the lottery or find a rich man. LOL

Old 03-06-2014, 09:21 AM

31 posts, read 37,099 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hazfora View Post
[i]
How are your plans coming along? Just last weekend, my sister and I visited a prefab in the nearby town (Eastville, VA) with a realtor to check it out. Before that, my sister who was visiting San Francisco checked out mobile homes in Oakland, CA. It might surprise you that mobile homes (at least the presentable kind) in CA are not cheap. Have you considered prefabs? Ok, I thought prefabs were just like trailer park homes, the kind you see derided in films, but to my surprise, they are not -- at least the one we visited. They are beautiful homes, one you'd be proud of -- and the price? You could have one built for less than 200K, excluding cost of your lot. So, I'm not ruling that out in my own search for a place to retire. I, too, am looking for that ideal place.
My job officially ended last month after 19 years; we parted on good terms.

A few weeks ago I had a realtor come out to look at my house which I plan to put on the market. The house needs some work and I am trying to reduce my possessions by half. I had hoped to have the house ready by the end of this month, but I doubt that will happen.

There are days I accomplish a lot and then there are days I do nothing. Iím finding it more difficult to get rid of things than I imagined. I still have birthday cards my grandmother sent me when I was 8-14 years old. She passed away 32 years ago and I canít imagine tossing them even though I only look at them every few years. I own over 500 cookbooks and Iím having trouble deciding which ones to keep.

The realtor keeps telling me I need to have the house ready as soon as possible, that spring is the best time. I realize that there are more people looking during this time, but I own a small 2 bedroom/1 bathroom house. Itís too small for those families needing to find a home before the school term starts. Itís really more suited to a single person or couple. It almost carries like rent and I imagine there will always be someone looking for this type of dwelling regardless what time of year it is (I bought this house in December). The realtor means well, I guess, but this week I decided not to let her pressure me. The past few months had been rather stressful for me, I donít need added stress because of this house.

I havenít been out to California yet to check out these mobile home parks. I do look through the sale listings online every day and it seems to me prices have steadily been increasing the past year or two. Iím still hoping to find something I can afford. Once Iíve sold this house and put my things into storage, I plan to head out to the west coast and rent something for a few months in the Capitola or Watsonville area. That should give me time to explore.

I have considered prefab homes. There are some interesting smaller "green" home designs I have seen online that strike me as quite affordable. I have wondered if it might be possible to place one of these homes into a co-op type park or community. My cousin is married to a realtor in California, when the time comes I'm hoping to pick his brain.

Old 03-06-2014, 11:50 AM

4,572 posts, read 7,055,913 times
Default Need to win the lottery or find a rich man.

too funny, I just said that to someone this week myself! Not sure which one has higher odds!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement