U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-08-2014, 08:26 PM

4,411 posts, read 5,938,213 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Umbria View Post
Although parts of NC may be like this (???) - most desirable places have become a melting pot of people from all over. Parts of SC sound like this as well - at least the heavy retirement spots. I think most metro areas of the US are melting pots.

I often wonder how the natives feel about this. Their culture is being decimated. There is one area of NC that must wonder what happened to their idyllic place.
For everyone here: I can't stress enough the importance of looking at the "culture" in your potential retirement destinations. I see many people talking about climate, cost-of-living, activities, etc., but hardly anyone asks about the culture -- politics, religion, ethnicity, where are most people from, etc.

I have moved long-distance twice -- once to CA and now to FL. The "culture" in both locations was completely different from my native East Coast, and it was quite a shock! For example, right now, I'm on the Gulf Coast of FL. In this area, most of the folks are from the Midwest, Pittsburgh, northern NY, Canada, etc. Sometimes their Midwest accents are so strong, I can't even understand them (I'm sure they feel the same about mine). Some of them sound straight out of the movie "Fargo". Some of them have rural farming backgrounds; some of them aren't very stylish. Most of them are not interested in the Motown and R&B music that I love so dearly. Many of them are conservative Republicans. Most don't openly talk politics, but you do hear the occasional comment at a card game or the pool and I sense some racism. Most are Christian -- Catholic or Protestant. Most are white; there doesn't seem to be a predominant ethnic group (such as the Irish or Italians from my hometown). Not saying any of these things are good or bad; I'm just saying how different things can be when you move to a different state, and you really need to do your homework. Otherwise, you could find yourself in a new location that may have great weather but you feel like an outsider.

P.S. I am very happy here, so far. The people are very friendly and welcoming, and I do love talking to people whose lives were so different from mine in an East Coast metro suburb. It's a big country!

Old 03-09-2014, 07:31 AM

16,042 posts, read 19,004,474 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pashko View Post
My job officially ended last month after 19 years; we parted on good terms.

A few weeks ago I had a realtor come out to look at my house which I plan to put on the market. The house needs some work and I am trying to reduce my possessions by half. I had hoped to have the house ready by the end of this month, but I doubt that will happen.

There are days I accomplish a lot and then there are days I do nothing. Iím finding it more difficult to get rid of things than I imagined. I still have birthday cards my grandmother sent me when I was 8-14 years old. She passed away 32 years ago and I canít imagine tossing them even though I only look at them every few years. I own over 500 cookbooks and Iím having trouble deciding which ones to keep.

The realtor keeps telling me I need to have the house ready as soon as possible, that spring is the best time. I realize that there are more people looking during this time, but I own a small 2 bedroom/1 bathroom house. Itís too small for those families needing to find a home before the school term starts. Itís really more suited to a single person or couple. It almost carries like rent and I imagine there will always be someone looking for this type of dwelling regardless what time of year it is (I bought this house in December). The realtor means well, I guess, but this week I decided not to let her pressure me. The past few months had been rather stressful for me, I donít need added stress because of this house.
I understand your stress about stuff. It can be overwhelming. I suggest you rent a "pod" and place it in your driveway or somewhere on your property. Get a punch of plastic tubs and start emptying out the house, putting everything at once into the pod. That way you can start showing your home. (There's no bigger turnoff to a potential buyer than rooms full of stuff, though they won't open your drawers. Too much stuff on walls, too many displayed photos and knicknacks should go.) Then, every day take out one box and deal with it, hopefully throwing most of it away. I've had to throw out many, many mementos from raising four kids, and as I did so I looked at each one a long time and committed it to memory. Then I imagined loving wings carrying it away.

Old 03-09-2014, 01:11 PM

277 posts, read 298,806 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newenglandgirl View Post
I understand your stress about stuff. It can be overwhelming. I suggest you rent a "pod" and place it in your driveway or somewhere on your property. Get a punch of plastic tubs and start emptying out the house, putting everything at once into the pod. That way you can start showing your home. (There's no bigger turnoff to a potential buyer than rooms full of stuff, though they won't open your drawers. Too much stuff on walls, too many displayed photos and knicknacks should go.) Then, every day take out one box and deal with it, hopefully throwing most of it away. I've had to throw out many, many mementos from raising four kids, and as I did so I looked at each one a long time and committed it to memory. Then I imagined loving wings carrying it away.
Great idea, NEG. And scalable if you have more time and can do one room at a time. My memory might not be as good as yours, so I've been grouping mementos, photos, clippings and committing them to dropbox. Did this with kids' art from school (some 30 year old refrigerator masterpieces), then gave them the originals. Mean, I know, now they're stuck with disposal decision.

Old 03-10-2014, 01:49 PM

31 posts, read 37,153 times
I can't seem to toss those mementos. I have been placing most of them into a rather large cardboard box to take with me. The cookbooks have been easier to deal with. I have already filled seven large boxes I'm planning to donate.

Fortunately I don't have a lot of stuff scattered around the house. Most of the things I'm trying to sort through are boxes I brought with me from Canada nearly 20 years ago which I never bothered to unpack (lol, that's another story). That move to Texas back then had to be completed in less than 3 weeks and many of those boxes were thrown together with the sweep of an arm. I've been storing about 30 of these boxes in my unused bedroom. It's taking me up to four hours to unpack and sort through each one. Friends tell me I should just throw them out as I no longer know what's in them, but I can't bring myself to do that. It's definitely been a trip down memory lane for me.

I'm hoping to have everything sorted in two weeks from now. At that time I plan on having three general contractors come out to give me bids for the work that needs to be done on the house before I can put it up for sale.

When the time comes, the house will be fairly empty and looking fresh.

Old 03-10-2014, 08:54 PM

1,236 posts, read 3,611,549 times
Default thanks for the info ~

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avalon08 View Post
For everyone here: I can't stress enough the importance of looking at the "culture" in your potential retirement destinations. I see many people talking about climate, cost-of-living, activities, etc., but hardly anyone asks about the culture -- politics, religion, ethnicity, where are most people from, etc.

I have moved long-distance twice -- once to CA and now to FL. The "culture" in both locations was completely different from my native East Coast, and it was quite a shock! For example, right now, I'm on the Gulf Coast of FL. In this area, most of the folks are from the Midwest, Pittsburgh, northern NY, Canada, etc. Sometimes their Midwest accents are so strong, I can't even understand them (I'm sure they feel the same about mine). Some of them sound straight out of the movie "Fargo". Some of them have rural farming backgrounds; some of them aren't very stylish. Most of them are not interested in the Motown and R&B music that I love so dearly. Many of them are conservative Republicans. Most don't openly talk politics, but you do hear the occasional comment at a card game or the pool and I sense some racism. Most are Christian -- Catholic or Protestant. Most are white; there doesn't seem to be a predominant ethnic group (such as the Irish or Italians from my hometown). Not saying any of these things are good or bad; I'm just saying how different things can be when you move to a different state, and you really need to do your homework. Otherwise, you could find yourself in a new location that may have great weather but you feel like an outsider.

P.S. I am very happy here, so far. The people are very friendly and welcoming, and I do love talking to people whose lives were so different from mine in an East Coast metro suburb. It's a big country!
Avalon08 ~ This post of yours is very informative and I did not think of the culture of your area, inasmuch as I'm considering relocation nearby. Now I wonder if I will even fit-in ? I tend to be a non-religious, liberal, very accepting of all others' culture ~ but will they be as accepting of my personal choices?

Old 03-11-2014, 08:00 AM

16,042 posts, read 19,004,474 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ConeyIsBabe View Post
Avalon08 ~ This post of yours is very informative and I did not think of the culture of your area, inasmuch as I'm considering relocation nearby. Now I wonder if I will even fit-in ? I tend to be a non-religious, liberal, very accepting of all others' culture ~ but will they be as accepting of my personal choices?
Avalon's post points up the fact that being a snowbird in a place and living there year-round may be two different experiences altogether. I've never been to FL, but it strikes me that so many northerners do live there year-round that a more diverse culture would suggest tolerance of others, so maybe you'll fit in fine. How's it going on your house sale? Spring is the time!

Old 03-11-2014, 03:59 PM

4,576 posts, read 7,071,476 times
Avalon, I so agree about the culture of an area (not talking about art, museums, etc.) I'm finding out in my search that those "cultural factors" are just as important to me, and maybe more important, than some of the other factors that I was focusing on. I read an article a few months ago that this "cultural" attraction to an area is becoming more and more for a factor for people moving.

Old 03-11-2014, 05:10 PM

Default Neg~

Quote:
Originally Posted by newenglandgirl View Post
Avalon's post points up the fact that being a snowbird in a place and living there year-round may be two different experiences altogether. I've never been to FL, but it strikes me that so many northerners do live there year-round that a more diverse culture would suggest tolerance of others, so maybe you'll fit in fine. How's it going on your house sale? Spring is the time!
Well, thanks for asking ~ spring has truly arrived in the valley ~ everything is blooming and afternoons are in the 60s with sun and blue sky (when it's not raining). Only two "window shoppers" came looking at my place for sale but I'm hoping business will pick up. I'm not desperate to sell but it will happen eventually. Summer is very pleasant in s/Oregon ONLY the winter is distressing especially this last one

Old 03-12-2014, 09:10 PM

4,411 posts, read 5,938,213 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ConeyIsBabe View Post
Coney, weren't you thinking more of Sarasota? Things can change from one town and one county to another; I'm just recommending that you all don't lose sight of those factors. I'm doing OK so far because I don't bring up politics unless someone has clearly indicated they're of my persuasion. But I haven't been here for a presidential election. I can tell you when I lived at the Jersey shore in 2008, I was in the only "red" county in South Jersey and boy, it did cause some issues even among friends when they started spouting off their political opinions.

Old 03-13-2014, 06:40 PM

Default Avalon08 ~

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avalon08 View Post
Coney, weren't you thinking more of Sarasota? Things can change from one town and one county to another; I'm just recommending that you all don't lose sight of those factors. I'm doing OK so far because I don't bring up politics unless someone has clearly indicated they're of my persuasion. But I haven't been here for a presidential election. I can tell you when I lived at the Jersey shore in 2008, I was in the only "red" county in South Jersey and boy, it did cause some issues even among friends when they started spouting off their political opinions.
I am still considering Sarasota primarily, or perhaps Venice ~~ but I had not considered the political atmosphere It can't be any worse than where I live now
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement