U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-13-2014, 06:44 PM

3,745 posts, read 4,214,395 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ConeyIsBabe View Post
I am still considering Sarasota primarily, or perhaps Venice ~~ but I had not considered the political atmosphere It can't be any worse than where I live now
LOL. Hope you rapped your knuckles on some wood when you wrote that.

Old 03-13-2014, 07:24 PM

1,457 posts, read 1,344,413 times
Default Didn't read 657 replies but my two cents ...

On the day of my retirement I packed up and moved to Savannah Georgia. Why?

It's a resort area and very beautiful, super low housing prices, and warm baby warm. After living behind iron bars in the high crime historic area of the city, I relocated to one of the islands east of the city connected by a good road to the city and route 95. Still here going on three years which is a record for me.

Old 03-13-2014, 10:41 PM

221 posts, read 190,438 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newenglandgirl View Post
I've had to throw out many, many mementos from raising four kids, and as I did so I looked at each one a long time and committed it to memory. Then I imagined loving wings carrying it away.
NewEnglandGirl, these words brought me to tears!

Old 03-16-2014, 02:36 PM

16 posts, read 19,690 times
I started reading all of the posts and then lost my place so started over again. Now I am up to post 183 but don't think I can wait long enough for some help. I am probably in the same situation as many of you. I live in very expensive NJ where the winter are a bit much. I don't have much of a support system at all. I am 60 and am very tied down caring for my 88 year old mother. I have a brother and sister who have left my mother's care up to me so I don't expect any thing from them. I definately feel like they are using me and won't have any use for me when my mother passes away. I have researched so many places and am really at a loss of where I should go. I don't want to be married but don't like being so alone. I find it kind of scary. Like everyone else, I am looking for a friendly place, low crime, low cost of living, and reasonable weather. Any serious suggestions I can check out?

Old 03-16-2014, 02:57 PM

1,236 posts, read 3,607,031 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColorMyWorld View Post
I started reading all of the posts and then lost my place so started over again. Now I am up to post 183 but don't think I can wait long enough for some help. I am probably in the same situation as many of you. I live in very expensive NJ where the winter are a bit much. I don't have much of a support system at all. I am 60 and am very tied down caring for my 88 year old mother. I have a brother and sister who have left my mother's care up to me so I don't expect any thing from them. I definately feel like they are using me and won't have any use for me when my mother passes away. I have researched so many places and am really at a loss of where I should go. I don't want to be married but don't like being so alone. I find it kind of scary. Like everyone else, I am looking for a friendly place, low crime, low cost of living, and reasonable weather. Any serious suggestions I can check out?
Welcome to our thread, ColorMyWorld ! I guess you are retired, although you didn't say so, and you didn't say if you and your mother live in the same dwelling. IMHO life is easier for us older folks where the winters are less harsh than up north. My main advice is to relocate while you still have some energy to do so.

At age 75 it gets harder for me, as time goes by, but I'm stuck waiting for my property to sell

Florida, in spite of all its faults is my main focus now and I favor a mid-sized coastal town either in the Sarasota/Venice area on west coast or the Stuart/Vero Beach area on the east coast. Have you considered relocating with your mother to Florida, somewhere with good medical facilities ?

Old 03-16-2014, 04:16 PM

16 posts, read 19,690 times
Thanks Coney. I am not retired but my employer keeps putting more and more work on me so sometime I may self-destruct and quit on the spot . I am trying to wait until I am 62 so I can collect SS. It will make a big difference in my long-term sustainability. My thoughts exactly about relocating when I still can. My mother and I don't live together. She lives in assisted living. If I found the right place to move for myself with an assisted living with her it would work out. I have researched FL extensively and yes, it does have it's faults but there is also an appeal about it. I rent my apt. so I can leave when my lesae is up and my mother only needs to give 30 days notice so this isn't an issue.

Old 03-17-2014, 08:29 AM

508 posts, read 551,719 times
If there is any way you can put off drawing SS, you will get a LOT bigger check. If you were born in 1954, you won't get full retirement benefits until age 66. If you start drawing retirement at age 62, you will get only 75%.

Full Retirement Age: If You Were Born Between 1943 And 1954

Retirement Planner: Full Retirement Age

It's only an extra 4 years - but the difference in your monthly check will be a LOT. Also, should you become disabled AFTER you start drawing early retirement, you may lose the ability to "freeze" your earnings record and retroactively increase your total benefit.

See the section "Early retirement exception"

Can I receive Social Security retirement and disability benefits at the same time? | Tampa Social Security Disability Attorney

If you are planning to relocate, take into account whether or not the state to which you are moving will subject your SS benefits to income tax - some states don't tax it at all, some tax it at a reduced rate, and some tax the entire benefit:

Does My State Tax Social Security Disability Benefits? | Disability Secrets

Old 03-19-2014, 07:40 AM

863 posts, read 1,064,777 times
I'm a native Californian relocated to Asheville in retirement two years ago. Still loving it!

Old 03-19-2014, 08:22 AM

6,954 posts, read 7,388,974 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Asheville1 View Post
I'm a native Californian relocated to Asheville in retirement two years ago. Still loving it!
I will be visiting your fair city in April - very excited to see it. It is one of 2 spots that I have narrowed down for my retirement spot. What are the 3 things you like about it the most?

Old 03-19-2014, 06:24 PM

21,699 posts, read 23,651,778 times
Default I May Be Jinxing It But.......

I haven't been posting on this thread for a long time. I see a lot has happened since it fist began and I missed a lot but here I am after all this time. I am excited so I just had to share.

So for those who don't know me, when this thread was first begun I posted I wanted to move to Cleveland OH. It was to have happened last April or May. But last April my kitty got very ill. She pulled through and then I became very ill. I didn't recover so well and am still feeling some effects of the illness. This added to a chronic illness I already had. So moving plans were put off until this spring.

Sadly, the kitty had to be put down three weeks ago. She became very ill and this time was not going to get better. So I had to go ahead with my moving plans without her. I almost thought about postponing them again but then realized that at least now I wouldn't have to worry about making her go through a long grueling plane trip and I just should not put this off because who knows what was in store going forward?

So, plans are moving ahead. I just made my airline reservations for next month. April 16. I will be staying with a friend and we will be scouting out apartments for me. Once we find a place the long distance move will begin. I only hope this time all will go well. My friend is really the best for all the help she has and will be giving me.

At age 68 this will be a big step me. My last long distance move was back in 1978 from Chicago, IL to Portland, OR. I hope all will go smoothly. I am going to optimistically begin to research finding long distance movers now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement