U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-19-2014, 08:12 PM

16,042 posts, read 18,997,544 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minervah View Post
I haven't been posting on this thread for a long time. I see a lot has happened since it fist began and I missed a lot but here I am after all this time. I am excited so I just had to share.

So for those who don't know me, when this thread was first begun I posted I wanted to move to Cleveland OH. It was to have happened last April or May. But last April my kitty got very ill. She pulled through and then I became very ill. I didn't recover so well and am still feeling some effects of the illness. This added to a chronic illness I already had. So moving plans were put off until this spring.

Sadly, the kitty had to be put down three weeks ago. She became very ill and this time was not going to get better. So I had to go ahead with my moving plans without her. I almost thought about postponing them again but then realized that at least now I wouldn't have to worry about making her go through a long grueling plane trip and I just should not put this off because who knows what was in store going forward?

So, plans are moving ahead. I just made my airline reservations for next month. April 16. I will be staying with a friend and we will be scouting out apartments for me. Once we find a place the long distance move will begin. I only hope this time all will go well. My friend is really the best for all the help she has and will be giving me.

At age 68 this will be a big step me. My last long distance move was back in 1978 from Chicago, IL to Portland, OR. I hope all will go smoothly. I am going to optimistically begin to research finding long distance movers now.
Wow, what a wonderful development. It's as though beloved cat wanted to give you permission to go. And it IS so hard on many animals, cats being esp sensitive to changes. Great that you have a friend in place to take you around and be a support. That makes all the difference in the world in a huge move like this. When's your target moving date?

Old 03-19-2014, 10:54 PM

21,698 posts, read 23,692,507 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newenglandgirl View Post
Wow, what a wonderful development. It's as though beloved cat wanted to give you permission to go. And it IS so hard on many animals, cats being esp sensitive to changes. Great that you have a friend in place to take you around and be a support. That makes all the difference in the world in a huge move like this. When's your target moving date?
Isn't that strange about my cat? Several people have mentioned that. But I am sad that she won't be with me on one hand and I won't be able to introduce her to my friends there. Still, she was old and ailing and I worried so much that she wouldn't have survived the trip. I was thinking of just waiting until she passed away even it took a few more years but she made that decision for me.

I am aiming to find a place with a moving date sometime in May. Since I will be looking during the last two weeks in April, I suppose I would have to rent for May first or mid May then I could spend the month of May moving in. But if that didn't work, I could move it to June. I guess it would depend upon what was available. If I decide on the large building my friend suggested, they have something available all the time. It's an old converted hospital right in the heart of everything and it's huge. It's got a lot of history.

Saint Luke's Manor | Pennrose Development and Property Management CompanyPennrose Development and Property Management Company

But I want to look around before I decide.

Last edited by Minervah; 03-19-2014 at 10:59 PM.. Reason: trouble with url

Old 03-20-2014, 07:06 AM

863 posts, read 1,066,574 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Umbria View Post
I will be visiting your fair city in April - very excited to see it. It is one of 2 spots that I have narrowed down for my retirement spot. What are the 3 things you like about it the most?
It's not California!

It's one of the most beautiful places in the country with four mild seasons.

Lots of hiking. You can do it solo or with groups, such as the YMCA or meet-up groups. I joined groups of seniors on a variety of hiking trips.

UNCA has The Center for Creative Retirement. You can get details online.

Great medical care should you need it.

It's a beautiful, compact, thriving eclectic city with great restaurants, music, art galleries, community theaters, history, independent book stores and movie theatre. The city has done a good job keeping a lot of chain stores and restaurants out of downtown. Albeit we just hit a Trader Joes. Yay!

We are surrounded by the world's oldest mountains (Blue Ridge and The Great Smoky) and the world's second oldest river (French Broad) flows through the middle of the city.

Some of the best stretches of the blue ridge parkway run through the city as well.

People are kind and respectful.

We are a eclectic population with retirees from all over... Lots from New York in Florida and a smattering from all over. And we all chose a quality of life to move here.

Different areas on the perimeter have different and distinct personalities. Something to suit just about everyone. Outlying towns also have distinct differences.

Did I mention waterfalls? I read that there is something like 500 waterfalls in the state.

If you find Asheville not to your liking, but you like the geography, there are a lot of other areas in the mountains and foothills of western North Carolina that are great for retirement. There've been lots of threads on city data on that subject.

Best of Luck!

Old 03-24-2014, 01:32 PM

4,575 posts, read 7,068,792 times
Minervah, congratulations! I've followed your posts for quite awhile now and wondered if you ever did move. I wish you all the best and please let us know how things go with the move and all...we'd love to know how things progress and your experiences. And I have a feeling that, when you're ready, there is a beautiful cat somewhere in Cleveland that will need your love and give you lots of love right back!

Old 03-24-2014, 02:21 PM

16,042 posts, read 18,997,544 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by loveautumn View Post
Minervah, congratulations! I've followed your posts for quite awhile now and wondered if you ever did move. I wish you all the best and please let us know how things go with the move and all...we'd love to know how things progress and your experiences. And I have a feeling that, when you're ready, there is a beautiful cat somewhere in Cleveland that will need your love and give you lots of love right back!
And you've been looking for a long time too! Any leads??

Old 03-24-2014, 02:50 PM

4,575 posts, read 7,068,792 times
yes, I finally put in my retirement papers and will be working until the beginning of August! It feels good to have everything out in the open and I can get the ball rolling on the financial decisions I need to make thru my company. I'm very excited and have no doubts this is the right time for me. I decided to put off any more research on moving until after I get all my financial stuff in order and see how my budget works once I am really retired. I'm pretty much leaning toward a warm weather location because, after seeing what happened this past winter, I don't know that I could handle that much cold for such a long period of time but we'll see...I vacillate on the weather thing

Old 03-24-2014, 05:35 PM

21,698 posts, read 23,692,507 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by loveautumn View Post
Thank you. I am so excited about my upcoming trip in April. My Cleveland friend invited me to have Easter dinner with her family. I realized all I have in my closet is jeans, sweats and sweatshirts. That will not do. So today I went out and bought a couple of nice outfits. I actually tried on and bought a skirt! I haven't worn one of those in probably a decade.

Some of you seniors might get a kick out of this one. The only skirts I saw were long ones. But I thought it would be a good purchase for a nice occasion. It will look nice with a little jacket and blouse. As the clerk who was all of twenty years of age was ringing it up, I commented on the length. She replied, "Oh, yes, this length is very much in style now, I think they call it.....'a midi style'..... but I'm not sure."

Flashback to the 60's!

I told her yes, they were very popular in the 1960's-70's after the mini's. Long before she was born. She just said "Um-hum."

Well, my new skirt and I will be off to Cleveland in a few weeks. I will keep you posted.

And best of luck in your plans too. I hope all goes well for you.

Old 04-01-2014, 04:50 PM

1,236 posts, read 3,610,770 times
Default I had a dream ...........

I live in s/Oregon, out in the country, in a small rural area and have been contemplating relocating back to Florida where I lived before moving out west.

Well this was my dream just before waking up in the morning ~~~~

I was in Florida, in bed looking up and seeing puffy clouds in the sky even though I was in bed. I was thinking how I did not want to return to my residence out west, that I will just abandon everything back home, and just stay in Florida where it's warm ~~~~

and then I woke up

I wonder how to interpret that dream ?

Old 04-01-2014, 07:34 PM

8,093 posts, read 13,245,924 times
Take the next offer on your house?

Old 04-02-2014, 01:22 PM

6,131 posts, read 9,098,506 times
You need a new roof on the Florida house???
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement