Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-27-2008, 12:10 PM

2,841 posts, read 3,197,335 times

Advertisements

I was wondering if anyone else here has looked into co-housing communities, either the ones for elders or the ones for all ages? I've been doing this for a while, but haven't found one that sounds good that I can afford. I really like the concept.

Old 10-27-2008, 10:30 PM

1,569 posts, read 3,401,768 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TerryC11 View Post
I was wondering if anyone else here has looked into co-housing communities, either the ones for elders or the ones for all ages? I've been doing this for a while, but haven't found one that sounds good that I can afford. I really like the concept.
In the past the concept has appealed to me too and I have looked into a couple of co-housing sites and intentional communities. The co-housing I checked out was more expensive because you pay for a commmunity meeting space in addition to your home. The intentional communities seemed to be a lot of work in order to make decisions, usually by consensus or really weird. I read about one in WA and then met the two men running it two years ago when I was in college and looking for an internship for the summer. The website raised a lot of questions and I learned more after going out with the one guy. It was interesting to hear the stories. The 60ish guy in control wanted young college students only--marketed it as a sustainable community and an intern opportunity. He ended up "falling in love" with one young woman. She dropped out of college and her parents had to do an intervention to get her out of it. Very much like a cult. I couldn't quite figure out what the appeal was for the other guy and was surprised at how much he told me. He was a writer--maybe material for a story.

The co-housing would be my choice except for the more expensive part. There are lots of websites you can research--maybe there are some that aren't so expensive.

Old 10-28-2008, 11:03 AM

Location: In the North Idaho woods, still surrounded by terriers
2,179 posts, read 7,018,586 times
TerryC11, I was under the impression that all new homes are formaldahyde free now. I thought that was mandatory. Hmmm...maybe I am wrong about that. Anyway, Santa Fe is gorgeous but pricey and too hot for me in the summers. I am moving far north...rather be cold than hot. Too many years in AZ. Good luck in your search, though...this forum is the best place to start!

Old 10-28-2008, 05:05 PM

2,841 posts, read 3,197,335 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by esselcue View Post
TerryC11, I was under the impression that all new homes are formaldahyde free now. I thought that was mandatory. Hmmm...maybe I am wrong about that.
No, this is not at all true. Formaldehyde is in manufactured wood products (cabinets, etc.), caulk, adhesives, paint, carpeting, floor finishes, insulation, etc. etc. It's very hard to build a house that is formaldehyde free.

Old 10-29-2008, 10:27 AM

Location: In the North Idaho woods, still surrounded by terriers
2,179 posts, read 7,018,586 times
Wow! Learn something new every day!

Old 10-29-2008, 12:00 PM

3,517 posts, read 13,259,891 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dancingearth View Post
The website raised a lot of questions and I learned more after going out with the one guy. It was interesting to hear the stories. The 60ish guy in control wanted young college students only--marketed it as a sustainable community and an intern opportunity. He ended up "falling in love" with one young woman. She dropped out of college and her parents had to do an intervention to get her out of it. Very much like a cult. I couldn't quite figure out what the appeal was for the other guy and was surprised at how much he told me. He was a writer--maybe material for a story.
This is the part of co-housing that doesn't appeal to me. In groups of people, there is invariably one or two who are social dominaters and do whatever they need to get control of the group. When it comes to such a big investment like my housing, I do not want to cede control over my life and domicile to a group-think environment. Guess I just have too strong an independent streak in me.

Old 10-29-2008, 10:33 PM

46 posts, read 103,224 times
Wow! I just found these forums last week and have been reading through the posts. It is so comforting to read and learn I'm not alone in my search and frustration of where to live. I'm looking for a mild climate, affordability, good medical, conveniences around the corner, "walkable" community, paved trails, etc. I'm slowly accepting what I want is unrealistic and out of my range, especially in this economy. Time is passing quickly though so while waiting for the economy to recovery, I'm thinking of alternatives. I live in a hot climate so decided to research spending 1-3 months of summer in a cooler climate. I love Avon and other towns in Colorado. Finding affordable furnished apartments or condos is a challenge. Would love to hear any suggestions or experiences.

Old 10-30-2008, 07:08 AM

1,569 posts, read 3,401,768 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fmwalk View Post
Wow! I just found these forums last week and have been reading through the posts. It is so comforting to read and learn I'm not alone in my search and frustration of where to live. I'm looking for a mild climate, affordability, good medical, conveniences around the corner, "walkable" community, paved trails, etc. I'm slowly accepting what I want is unrealistic and out of my range, especially in this economy. Time is passing quickly though so while waiting for the economy to recovery, I'm thinking of alternatives. I live in a hot climate so decided to research spending 1-3 months of summer in a cooler climate. I love Avon and other towns in Colorado. Finding affordable furnished apartments or condos is a challenge. Would love to hear any suggestions or experiences.
Welcome Fmwalk! When I moved back to NM I found a month to month houseshare on Craigslist until I found something else. Have you checked out Craigslist? Just a warning though--a young man I know was moving from WA to Boston and secured housing on-line and sent money and was ripped off. I looked when I got here but I had a friend in the area I stayed with while I did it. When I moved to WA I rented a place for six months and then told everyone I met that I was looking and eventually found a great cheap place. If there are colleges in the town, look on their bulletin boards. Good luck--have fun.

Old 10-30-2008, 10:41 PM

46 posts, read 103,224 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dancingearth View Post
Welcome Fmwalk! When I moved back to NM I found a month to month houseshare on Craigslist until I found something else. Have you checked out Craigslist? Just a warning though--a young man I know was moving from WA to Boston and secured housing on-line and sent money and was ripped off. I looked when I got here but I had a friend in the area I stayed with while I did it. When I moved to WA I rented a place for six months and then told everyone I met that I was looking and eventually found a great cheap place. If there are colleges in the town, look on their bulletin boards. Good luck--have fun.
Thanks Dancingearth. I'm so glad I found this forum. I use Craigslist and agree one must be careful for there aren't any protections. Another website I use is www.frbo.com. There are lots of rentals but most are too expensive. I found a ski condo building that is leased monthly during the summer that may be an option.

From reading the posts, you have been busy with your move and home purchase. Saw the photos and your home is lovely. I admire you for finding your spot and acting on your decision.

Old 10-31-2008, 04:10 PM

8,814 posts, read 21,277,348 times
The 60ish guy in control wanted young college students only--marketed it as a sustainable community and an intern opportunity. He ended up "falling in love" with one young woman. She dropped out of college and her parents had to do an intervention to get her out of it. Very much like a cult. I couldn't quite figure out what the appeal was for the other guy and was surprised at how much he told me. He was a writer--maybe material for a story.

Whoa, that is creepy. And, that would be my biggest fear.... that I would invest so much time, money and energy to move to a "perfect" place & it would all fall apart like that.
There must be a happy medium, a place for us.

People may not recall what you said to them, but they will always remember how you made them feel .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement