U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-07-2014, 08:55 PM

1,236 posts, read 3,608,206 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Umbria View Post
Maybe it was your subconscious telling you it's time stop wasting time with this house. It will sell, whether you are living in it or whether you are living in FL. Were you planning on renting in FL? Do you have the funds to rent in FL and carry this house? If yes, then go. You can hire someone to come in weekly and give it quick clean - same with the yard. Your realtor can report on how well the people you hire are doing their job.
I HAVE thought of the same option you wrote. However, I have not come to the point where I can make that decision (yet).

Summer is approaching and s/Oregon is at its best then, so (after the worst winter ever) I'm going to enjoy my place, guest coming to visit, and travel to CA, FL, and NYC

Old 04-08-2014, 12:34 PM

6,954 posts, read 7,392,568 times
Default In case you haven't seen this

10 best places for single boomers to retire- MSN Money

I just went through this and none of these places seem to be good for a retiree.

Last edited by Umbria; 04-08-2014 at 12:49 PM.. Reason: na

Old 04-09-2014, 05:28 PM

8,093 posts, read 13,232,688 times
Hey, Cleveland is on that list ... wasn't someone here planning on Cleveland?

Some of the commenters really let MSN know what they thought, LOL

Old 04-09-2014, 06:38 PM

21,699 posts, read 23,664,674 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gandalara View Post

That would be me. It's different to see Cleveland as a recommendation. People keep telling me I'm nuts. I don't think so. Different strokes........

Old 04-09-2014, 08:07 PM

14,260 posts, read 23,991,339 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gandalara View Post

I suggested the Cleveland area IF you are NOT high income. Personally, I would move to Lakewood as:

1) Walkable neighborhoods with all the amenities nearby.
2) Safety. Even my elderly neighbors were walking around in the evening alone.
3) Great subsidized housing for lower income seniors.
4) Great senior centers.
5) Excellent health care and hospitals in the area - many offer shuttles.
6) Low cost of housing.

The two factors that kept me from moving there was the climate and the high taxes.

Old 04-09-2014, 10:03 PM

21,699 posts, read 23,664,674 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlawrence01 View Post
I suggested the Cleveland area IF you are NOT high income. Personally, I would move to Lakewood as:

1) Walkable neighborhoods with all the amenities nearby.
2) Safety. Even my elderly neighbors were walking around in the evening alone.
3) Great subsidized housing for lower income seniors.
4) Great senior centers.
5) Excellent health care and hospitals in the area - many offer shuttles.
6) Low cost of housing.

The two factors that kept me from moving there was the climate and the high taxes.
Any thoughts about the east part of Cleveland area? My friend lives in Cleveland Heights and would love for me to live on her side of town. When I visit her next week, we are going to do some apartment hunting. She knows the west part of the city because her family is all there and that's where she started out. So we will be looking at both.

Old 04-09-2014, 10:10 PM

14,260 posts, read 23,991,339 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minervah View Post
Any thoughts about the east part of Cleveland area? My friend lives in Cleveland Heights and would love for me to live on her side of town. When I visit her next week, we are going to do some apartment hunting. She knows the west part of the city because her family is all there and that's where she started out. So we will be looking at both.
I lived in Lakewood and Rocky River. I don't like the east side as much as the weather is SIGNIFICANTLY worse due to lake effect snow. For example, during snow storms, Lakewood would get 3" and Mentor will get 12".

Old 04-16-2014, 06:00 AM

2,367 posts, read 1,636,166 times
For a cheap economy, probably most places down south.

For dry weather for my brittle bones and sore muscles, southwest. Each year that passes, cold and humidity seem to stress my body more than the last year.

Old 04-17-2014, 11:41 PM

4,404 posts, read 5,925,325 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ConeyGirl52 View Post
For a cheap economy, probably most places down south.

For dry weather for my brittle bones and sore muscles, southwest. Each year that passes, cold and humidity seem to stress my body more than the last year.
I think the humidity is good for our skin. I don't think I could live in AZ or any desert climate as I was always THIRSTY and parched when I was there. My skin is already a dried-out mess, with years of sun damage, so I don't think an arid climate would help.

Anyway, we'll see how I tolerate the summer heat here in FL. I don't have a choice, because I cannot afford to move anywhere ever again, so I'm sure I'll enjoy it!

Old 04-18-2014, 06:02 AM

22,554 posts, read 47,349,405 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avalon08 View Post
I think the humidity is good for our skin. I don't think I could live in AZ or any desert climate as I was always THIRSTY and parched when I was there. My skin is already a dried-out mess, with years of sun damage, so I don't think an arid climate would help.

Anyway, we'll see how I tolerate the summer heat here in FL. I don't have a choice, because I cannot afford to move anywhere ever again, so I'm sure I'll enjoy it!
heh. My skin is a dried out mess and sun-damaged from living in Florida. Oh, better have that water bottle at your side at all times. Just because the dewpoint is beyond awful (and that will make the heat even less tolerable) doesn't mean you won't need to be constantly drinking. Otherwise, you could keel over from dehydration. The humidity won't help at all. It will make you feel awful, though.

Sorry, maybe you are going to live in northern Florida, in which case it will still be bad but the further south you go, the worse it will get. I lived in Southwest Florida for ten years and it ruined my skin, plus the humidity is just brutal. Personally, I love the heat and the humidity but I've seen scores of other people just hate it. Try out living for an entire summer - April through October - before making a commitment. Either that, or you'll just have to stay indoors most of the time during those months.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement