U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-21-2014, 11:11 AM

15,324 posts, read 17,788,069 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minervah View Post
Well not so much the weather but just being in a place in which I can afford decent housing without using up two thirds of my living allowance.

Today I am in Cleveland and will begin my apartment hunting. Rents here are so much less for so much more. Yes, I know, it isn't Portland and doesn't offer the same things but Cleveland offers me so much more in so many more ways in financial security and not having to worry about my savings outlasting me just to keep staying where I am living now.

So now hunt for my new Cleveland neighborhood and apartment begins. Then the search for a new kitty because, sadly, my kitty recently died and will not be making this journey with me.
Min, I am so sorry your beloved kitty passed on...(((hugs)))

Best of luck finding a wonderful, safe apt/neighborhood...

Have an Awesome day...

Old 04-21-2014, 12:05 PM

4,574 posts, read 7,065,022 times
Minerva, how exciting to go apartment hunting in your new location! My ex-roommate from many years ago was from Shaker Heights, her family had some $$$ so I'm sure it's an upscale neighborhood but I think it's more of a suburb.

I totally understand where you're coming from in moving to a more cost friendly area, some of us have to do what we have to do (I will probably be in the same situation) and I know you'll have alot less financial stress, which is one of the worst kinds of stress to have (IMO). It's funny but whether one is in San Diego, Portland, Cleveland, or wherever, there are alot of similarities to cities in the US...basically the same stores, etc. And it's a plus that you have a friend there. A friend of a friend of mine moved to outside Green Bay this past winter, after living in SoCal for a good chunk of her life, and she has survived her first winter there and is doing fine. She just made up her mind that that was the best place for her to be (with family) and she was going to make it work.

Please keep us in the loop as to your thoughts on apartments, etc.

Old 04-21-2014, 02:06 PM

14,018 posts, read 17,751,136 times
Default Attitude is the key!

Quote:
Originally Posted by loveautumn View Post
........ A friend of a friend of mine moved to outside Green Bay this past winter, after living in SoCal for a good chunk of her life, and she has survived her first winter there and is doing fine. She just made up her mind that that was the best place for her to be (with family) and she was going to make it work. ....
That is really the key, in my opinion. People who are determined to be miserable will succeed no matter where they are or what their circumstances are. My mother was such a person. The converse is also pretty much true, as illustrated by your friend. More power to her!

Old 04-22-2014, 09:30 AM

21,697 posts, read 23,681,631 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZDesertBrat View Post
The 'adventure' really begins now, doesn't it? I wish you all the luck and I just know you'll be happier away from Portland. I like Portland but, like all big cities, I've never been totally comfortable there. My son loves it but even he moved away. To a MUCH smaller town.

Sorry about your kitty. I hate it when I lose a beloved pet.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawk J View Post
Min, I am so sorry your beloved kitty passed on...(((hugs)))

Best of luck finding a wonderful, safe apt/neighborhood...

Have an Awesome day...
Quote:
Originally Posted by loveautumn View Post
Minerva, how exciting to go apartment hunting in your new location! My ex-roommate from many years ago was from Shaker Heights, her family had some $$$ so I'm sure it's an upscale neighborhood but I think it's more of a suburb.

I totally understand where you're coming from in moving to a more cost friendly area, some of us have to do what we have to do (I will probably be in the same situation) and I know you'll have alot less financial stress, which is one of the worst kinds of stress to have (IMO). It's funny but whether one is in San Diego, Portland, Cleveland, or wherever, there are alot of similarities to cities in the US...basically the same stores, etc. And it's a plus that you have a friend there. A friend of a friend of mine moved to outside Green Bay this past winter, after living in SoCal for a good chunk of her life, and she has survived her first winter there and is doing fine. She just made up her mind that that was the best place for her to be (with family) and she was going to make it work.

Please keep us in the loop as to your thoughts on apartments, etc.
Thanks everyone, regarding my kitty, she was a senior citizen who suddenly had congestive heart failure and there was nothing to be done to help her. There were other medical problems as well. Her lungs were continually filling with fluid. She never would have survived the trip out here and at best had only a few weeks after her heart had begun to fail. I had her euthanized. I had hoped we would be beginning our new life together but one never knows what the future will bring.

So on to the present. The hunt continues for the elusive species called "The Perfect Apartment" for which first must be found the also rare "Perfect habitat" otherwise known as "The Ideal Neighborhood." But with my intrepid guide by my side, I have every confidence we will prevail.

I will keep you posted.

Old 04-25-2014, 12:15 AM

4,408 posts, read 5,931,325 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hiknapster View Post
heh. My skin is a dried out mess and sun-damaged from living in Florida. Oh, better have that water bottle at your side at all times. Just because the dewpoint is beyond awful (and that will make the heat even less tolerable) doesn't mean you won't need to be constantly drinking. Otherwise, you could keel over from dehydration. The humidity won't help at all. It will make you feel awful, though.

Sorry, maybe you are going to live in northern Florida, in which case it will still be bad but the further south you go, the worse it will get. I lived in Southwest Florida for ten years and it ruined my skin, plus the humidity is just brutal. Personally, I love the heat and the humidity but I've seen scores of other people just hate it. Try out living for an entire summer - April through October - before making a commitment. Either that, or you'll just have to stay indoors most of the time during those months.
Well, that was certainly an encouraging post! Did you see the part where I said "I can't afford to ever move again"? This is not a retirement lark for me, this was a financial necessity. So why barrage me with a bunch of negativity about FL? Buzzkill much?

You must've mis-interpreted my post. I said my skin is already a dried-out, sun-damaged mess. You don't need to be in a sunny climate to damage your skin. My point is, my skin feels worse in the cold/dry winters up North, so I'm assuming a dry climate year-round such as AZ wouldn't make it feel any better.

I live near the Gulf, so I'm hoping it won't be quite as oppressive as inland. Regardless, I am going into this with a positive attitude, no matter what any bitter ex-Floridians say.

Old 04-25-2014, 06:04 AM

3,745 posts, read 4,221,259 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avalon08 View Post
Well, that was certainly an encouraging post! Did you see the part where I said "I can't afford to ever move again"? This is not a retirement lark for me, this was a financial necessity. So why barrage me with a bunch of negativity about FL? Buzzkill much?

You must've mis-interpreted my post. I said my skin is already a dried-out, sun-damaged mess. You don't need to be in a sunny climate to damage your skin. My point is, my skin feels worse in the cold/dry winters up North, so I'm assuming a dry climate year-round such as AZ wouldn't make it feel any better.

I live near the Gulf, so I'm hoping it won't be quite as oppressive as inland. Regardless, I am going into this with a positive attitude, no matter what any bitter ex-Floridians say.
Let's get real.
You've lived in Philadelphia for how long? You're not that far from me and I can assure you our summers are similarly hot and humid. AFAIK, you did not grow up in New England and you should not have as much difficulty adapting to the weather as would a native New Englander. Although my skin gets incredibly dry and itchy in the winter (indoor heat) the dryness disappears when winter ends. Over the past few years I have become dehydrated in the summer and am mindful to drink more water at that time. No big deal.

I distinctly recall noticing the ungodly heat one summer when returning home from Ocean City, MD. According to C-D, Ocean City is significantly more humid than Baltimore and yet I didn't feel its impact when visiting. Why? The ocean, of course. I expect your "new" home near the Gulf will temper the heat and humidity as well.

Summer Breeze - Seals & Croft #1 Hit(1972) - YouTube

Old 04-25-2014, 06:19 PM

1,236 posts, read 3,609,773 times
Default Speaking of Florida .....

Well, I lived in the Miami area for over 30 years so I can speak from personal experience I've had my share of the sun ~ at age 75 my skin is great.... few wrinkles and except for a recent spot on my nose that had to be removed, my face looks younger than many ladies I know (my profle pic is from 3 years ago). So, you can't blame Florida for old looking dehydrated skin

Old 04-29-2014, 05:54 AM

2,462 posts, read 2,105,372 times
I always thought we'd move someplace for retirement (we are NY NJ peeps)- like east coast but still south We have done many roadtrips seeking out the perfect spot. The problem I guess is that we did like most places a lot (we did research before to some degree)-and although there may be a handful of places that really stand out to us, I think somehow the reality of really moving away from everything familiar (including family) has really started to hit us. We have 2 adult children, one is out in Portland (love it but it really is far and different AND not that sure that she will stay there although for now it seems likely) and the other is in Philly area.

We really liked Tennessee (Nashville area in particular- who doesn't) and at first it didn't seem too far..but we are re-thinking. For now I am still employed and I am 60. I feel that as long as I have this job (which is pretty good, 10 minute commute, and relatively pleasant... depending on the day of course and we have the medical insurance... I figure I will try to last at it as long as I can.
Anyway I can understand the part about Cleveland offering you pretty much what any good place would but with the PLUS side being affordable and manageable AND having a close friend there.
I also LOVED the sentiment that when you decide it will work, it will!! Sounds like a plan.

Old 04-29-2014, 01:28 PM

2,867 posts, read 2,989,232 times
Will probably end up in rural Northern New England. As "Yankees" (even though we DON'T broadcast it) my wife and I are hated most everywhere else.

Old 04-29-2014, 06:22 PM

16,042 posts, read 18,988,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DauntlessDan View Post
Will probably end up in rural Northern New England. As "Yankees" (even though we DON'T broadcast it) my wife and I are hated most everywhere else.
Define the characteristics of Yankee, please.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement