U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-01-2014, 07:55 PM

17 posts, read 19,436 times

Advertisements

Hello Wisteria,

I'm new to this Forum type thing.

Did you end up somewhere yet?

I'm also looking to relocate from Bay Area, CA. due to costs. I'm early 60's, divorced, semi retired, work form home part time in graphic design, looking to find something safe, not too far from health food store, good health care available, amenities, and cute downtown. My budget is around 200K.

Old 05-01-2014, 09:01 PM

17 posts, read 19,436 times
Smile Semi retired 60s Female looking to relocate to South East Coast

I live in Bay Area CA, and I'm currently looking to relocate due to costs here.

I'm semiretired and work part time in graphic design.

I'm new to forum, and enjoy reading replies to your post.

So far I'm looking at Raleigh/Cary NC, Willmington NC...and also considering SC - but not sure where. My budget is around 200K.

CA is very expensive on my retirement income. I can get so much more for my money on the South East Coast. I have lived near Raleigh before, in a small town Cary, and I liked it there - amenities, good health care, cute town, etc. Not sure how SC compares to NC.

Any info appreciated. Thanks!

Old 05-01-2014, 10:21 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
22,708 posts, read 40,113,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charisse10 View Post

So far I'm looking at Raleigh/Cary NC, Willmington NC...and also considering SC - but not sure where. My budget is around 200K.

CA is very expensive on my retirement income. I can get so much more for my money on the South East Coast. I have lived near Raleigh before, in a small town Cary, and I liked it there - amenities, good health care, cute town, etc. Not sure how SC compares to NC.

welcome Charisse10, your situation is so familiar to many here.

Lots has transpired for most of us.

Wisteria ended up in a very nice, small older Mobile Home Park in Santa Cruz, EZ walking distance to the beach.
As with all of us, she may end up on yet another adventure.

Some of us have chosen (or found necessary) to stay where we are (Real estate crash / family / financial)
Some have transpired to another realm (from deceased to remarried... (what a comparison))
Many have ventured off the forum
Many have found new homes and new friends.
You have many choices within your budget including spendy places like Santa Cruz and Sedona. (options have been mentioned on this thread)

seems...
  1. make yourself light enough to move easily,
  2. be prepared for change (in plans / health / situation).
  3. Be flexible and open
  4. realize nothing is perfect.
  5. Listen to advice, but YOU make the choice
  6. Don't be afraid of asking, or of changing from Plan A.

Appreciate the journey, the people, and the adventures along the way.

Old 05-02-2014, 10:51 AM

21,698 posts, read 23,726,563 times
Checking in. I am back from my trip to Cleveland and have found an apartment in Cleveland Heights in the Cedar/Fairmount neighborhood. It's walking distance to everything; grocery shopping, buses and a little area with restaurants and shops. It's also a short bus ride from the Cleveland Clinic where I intend to take my old bones in hope of some treatment of a rare illness they specialize in treating. This is one of the reasons Cleveland was high on my list for relocation.

Now I have to look into moving everything cross country. The adventure begins.

Old 05-02-2014, 11:01 AM

6,956 posts, read 7,411,410 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minervah View Post
Checking in. I am back from my trip to Cleveland and have found an apartment in Cleveland Heights in the Cedar/Fairmount neighborhood. It's walking distance to everything; grocery shopping, buses and a little area with restaurants and shops. It's also a short bus ride from the Cleveland Clinic where I intend to take my old bones in hope of some treatment of a rare illness they specialize in treating. This is one of the reasons Cleveland was high on my list for relocation.

Now I have to look into moving everything cross country. The adventure begins.
Progress Sounds like this should work for you. A new adventure is always exciting. When you get planted maybe you can get 2 kitties - so many need homes and 2 aren't much more expensive than 1.

Old 05-02-2014, 11:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Umbria View Post
Progress Sounds like this should work for you. A new adventure is always exciting. When you get planted maybe you can get 2 kitties - so many need homes and 2 aren't much more expensive than 1.
I may do that. I have always had cats in pairs. Gracie was my first only kitty. I did have two others while I had her but they were fosters and I rehomed them. Then it was just her Gracie and me and it seemed to just work out that way.

I am actually allergic to cats and dogs so my doctors always told me to not have cats around but that never stopped me. Still, I am having a sort of time out to see if it makes any difference in my breathing difficulties. So far I don't see much of a change but then my present apartment is still full of essence of cat.

Old 05-02-2014, 12:29 PM

4,577 posts, read 7,079,434 times
Minervah, congrats on finding an apartment, I'd call that a very successful trip. When will you actually be moving?

Old 05-02-2014, 12:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by loveautumn View Post
Minervah, congrats on finding an apartment, I'd call that a very successful trip. When will you actually be moving?
I am aiming for the first week of June. I have given my present landlord the requisite month's notice so after that I am off to my new home. Right now I am waiting to hear from my friend in Cleveland to see if she can put me up and put up with me one more time while I wait for my furniture to arrive after I fly there at the end of May. It will take about 6-8 days for my furniture to arrive so I have some wiggle room to get there before it does.

Old 05-02-2014, 12:51 PM

16,042 posts, read 19,024,159 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charisse10 View Post

Ah, another graphic designer retiring wealthy, LOL. Welcome! DH and I are in that general field here on the east coast, still freelancing. One of our sons once lived in Cary and we really liked it, but the summers were too much for us. We liked the up and coming town of Apex. And the area around Landrum, SC. Another poster, Umbria, is headed to Wilmington. Sounds like a fine place to retire.

Old 05-02-2014, 01:07 PM

983 posts, read 2,181,945 times
I live in Charlotte and moved here from the bay area 5 years ago. Although I am not retired yet, I like what I have here. My house payment (still have a mortgage) is less than what I paid for rent for a lot smaller town house there. I picked Charlotte over Wilmington (3.5 hrs drive or less than an hour flight from CLT) and over Raleigh because of the access to larger airport, which is needed for work and personal travel. I like the quick access to the mountains from here, couple hours and I am on top of the world. The summer heat is still an issue for me but again, I can afford having me AC on and enjoy the cool inside the house or just pack and head up the mountains and enjoy a vacation there. There are a lot of nice smaller towns around Charlotte that are very nice and very affordable as well. It's a nice area with a lot of transplants (although I don't like that word :-)) which brings a lot of different cultures and charm to the area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement