U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-02-2014, 01:33 PM

6,124 posts, read 9,076,489 times

Advertisements

Minerva: You brought back memories for me. I lived in an apt building on Overhill (or maybe Overlook) Dr. when I was a nurse at University Hospitals. Loved all those big houses around there, the huge trees, and it was gorgeous when it snowed. Cleveland brings back great thoughts of my younger days and my first apt. without a roommate ! Enjoy !!!

Old 05-02-2014, 04:10 PM

4,573 posts, read 7,057,201 times
Oh my, I didn't realize the move was going to be that quick. I like a woman of action!!! Are you flying or driving there? Spring is a good time to move I think because you can get settled and explore the area during the summer/good weather and be all settled before it gets colder. It must feel good to finally have reached your goal.

Old 05-02-2014, 05:44 PM

21,699 posts, read 23,658,574 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhxBarb View Post
Minerva: You brought back memories for me. I lived in an apt building on Overhill (or maybe Overlook) Dr. when I was a nurse at University Hospitals. Loved all those big houses around there, the huge trees, and it was gorgeous when it snowed. Cleveland brings back great thoughts of my younger days and my first apt. without a roommate ! Enjoy !!!
It is Overlook. I'm getting to know the streets already. Those houses are beautiful. I'll have a nice area in which to go walking. The little shopping areas of Cedar/Fairmont and Coventry are going to be nice to stroll around too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by loveautumn View Post
Oh my, I didn't realize the move was going to be that quick. I like a woman of action!!! Are you flying or driving there? Spring is a good time to move I think because you can get settled and explore the area during the summer/good weather and be all settled before it gets colder. It must feel good to finally have reached your goal.

Well, it was years in the contemplating but once I was finally there visiting with friends and actually looking at places it was full steam ahead. I figured "now or never." I thought spring would be good because of the exact reasons you mention. I can get out and look around. Now I am going to be arranging for the movers and packing and going through all that fun stuff. Ugh. But of course it must be done.

I will be flying there while my belongings are on the road. One one-way ticket.

Old 05-02-2014, 07:01 PM

221 posts, read 190,534 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minervah View Post
. So far I don't see much of a change but then my present apartment is still full of essence of cat.
"...Essence of cat!" I love that!!!

Congratulations on your impending move, Minervah!

Old 05-02-2014, 11:27 PM

966 posts, read 918,990 times
Way to go, Minervah! Hope the move is a total success for you....best wishes!

Old 05-03-2014, 01:31 PM

17 posts, read 19,381 times
Thanks so much for your reply post Stealth Rabbit!

Is EZ meaning AZ? "....small older Mobile Home Park in Santa Cruz, EZ"

Yes, I'm starting reading at pg 662, and going backwards as I write notes on all the places that are recommended. At first I didn't realize I had started reading items from around 2008!
Thanks again!

Old 05-03-2014, 02:50 PM
HDL

3,141 posts, read 6,019,326 times
Welcome to City Data Forums Charisse10 ! Wisteria is in Santa Cruz, CA. What Stealth Rabbit wrote was this "Wisteria ended up in a very nice, small older Mobile Home Park in Santa Cruz, EZ walking distance to the beach." I'm assuming that she didn't put the state after Santa Cruz, because most folks in the Bay Area would already know CA.

Hope that helps !

Good luck!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charisse10 View Post
Thanks so much for your reply post Stealth Rabbit!

Is EZ meaning AZ? "....small older Mobile Home Park in Santa Cruz, EZ"

Yes, I'm starting reading at pg 662, and going backwards as I write notes on all the places that are recommended. At first I didn't realize I had started reading items from around 2008!
Thanks again!

Old 05-04-2014, 09:38 AM

17 posts, read 19,381 times
Yes now I get it!!!! Thanks!

Old 05-15-2014, 06:36 AM

1,176 posts, read 1,379,448 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wisteria View Post
As some of you know from following my posts, I am planning on retiring alone, but in a different area from where I am now (California) due to the costs.

I am curious if there are other single/divorced/widowed women out there considering relocating to another area by themselves, and if so to where, and why that location?

I am very torn about where to go. I love the sunshine and dry weather -- factors in my choices. I also want a social network, and am an eastcoaster, originally, and am wondering if I should reconsider the eastcoast because it seems more social. It will also just be my retirement income (it's just me!), and so lower costs, rather than higher, are important.

I'm not really old enough for the senior centers, as I've noticed they seem to be more filled with the 70 and over crowd. Therefore, since I am still lively and young at heart, I am looking for a place where older singles still mingle. I am searching out places that may work for a single retired woman. (I am 59 right now, but plan to try to stick it out here a few more years, if possible.)

I have diverse interests, moderate politics (Independent), and write, play a little piano for myself, draw, and teach art. I'm a social worker by trade, but would like to be involved in more activities and volunteering that would be "fun" oriented. I love hiking -- that is one of my favorite pursuits. I also adore cooking. I have a dog and three cats. I am also not religious, although I guess the term "Spiritual" would apply. My daughter will be in college, but also studying abroad, so she and I will not be in the same city.

I'd love to hear what others think about this situation. Thanks!
Wisteria
I don't know that I will ever be able to retire but I am considering relocating from Arizona to Alaska (one extreme to the other, I know). I first visited Alaska in 3/2011 and felt so drawn to it I returned again in 2/2012, 1/2013 and 3/2014 and still feel the same.

Given financial considerations I don't know if I will be able to swing it, but I am not ruling it out. I still like AZ and have been here over 24 years (originally from CA); just feel drawn to somewhere else now. I have relocated to different places in my life where I knew no one or maybe one other person, so relocating on my own doesn't bother me; I just want to make sure it isn't a disastrous decision financially.

I think if the place you want to go to has the things most important to you and you are in a position financially to do it, why not?

Good luck to you, whatever you decide.

Old 05-15-2014, 06:44 AM

14,018 posts, read 17,732,288 times
Default Alaska

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjs123 View Post
I don't know that I will ever be able to retire but I am considering relocating from Arizona to Alaska (one extreme to the other, I know). I first visited Alaska in 3/2011 and felt so drawn to it I returned again in 2/2012, 1/2013 and 3/2014 and still feel the same.

Given financial considerations I don't know if I will be able to swing it, but I am not ruling it out. I still like AZ and have been here over 24 years (originally from CA); just feel drawn to somewhere else now. I have relocated to different places in my life where I knew no one or maybe one other person, so relocating on my own doesn't bother me; I just want to make sure it isn't a disastrous decision financially.

I think if the place you want to go to has the things most important to you and you are in a position financially to do it, why not?

Good luck to you, whatever you decide.
Alaska has perhaps the lowest taxes in the nation - no income tax and no sales tax for starters. But of course taxes are only one component of the cost of living. Heating costs will be high in winter, unless you cut your own firewood on your own land and heat with wood.

Some people are just drawn to certain places. When that feeling is strong, I think people should follow it if at all possible.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement