U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 05-24-2014, 01:38 PM
 
Location: Baltimore, MD
3,745 posts, read 4,221,259 times
Reputation: 6866

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Escort Rider View Post
I agree with the wisdom of that sentiment, and in fact it was my stance. However, when a poster brought up the matter in very inaccurate summary, I could not resist responding. I applaud your civility as well.
Thanks for the compliment, but just for the record, I was not referring to StealthRabbit.

 
Old 05-24-2014, 01:47 PM
HDL
 
Location: Seek Jesus while He can still be found!
3,141 posts, read 6,023,008 times
Reputation: 8239
Okay, let's get back on topic !
 
Old 05-24-2014, 03:41 PM
 
Location: Lakewood OH
21,697 posts, read 23,681,631 times
Reputation: 35449
I wanted to share an experience I have had in my decision making as to a place to relocate. Everyone on this thread has been very supportive and understanding of my reasons in choosing a place that, although certainly not on most people's list of places to relocate for retirement, suited my needs.

It was an entirely different story when I decided to send a couple of farewell PM's to a few people on the Portland forum with whom I had grown to feel friendly over the years. Wow! I got the most negative feedback imaginable. It was almost as it they felt they could change my mind. They made no bones about letting me know I was leaving "Paradise" for "The Other place" so-to-speak.

What ever happened to "If you can't say something nice, !" I mean, at least wish a person good luck even if you don't agree with them. One person who responded so unkindly really surprised me because she is usually considered to be so very nice.

The funny thing is, I doubt if any of them have ever even been to Cleveland. I think they were going by the city's reputation and hearsay only. I am certain they had never been to the suburb in which I will be living. My real time friends understand and there are nice people who post here and sometimes on the Portland forum who are also very supportive, but I really didn't expect the criticism from the others I received.

I guess sometimes it's difficult for people who would never dream of relocating to understand why anyone else would. Especially if they feel the new place of choice isn't the traditional retirement paradise.
 
Old 05-24-2014, 03:54 PM
 
Location: Los Angeles area
14,018 posts, read 17,751,136 times
Reputation: 32309
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minervah View Post
I wanted to share an experience I have had in my decision making as to a place to relocate. Everyone on this thread has been very supportive and understanding of my reasons in choosing a place that, although certainly not on most people's list of places to relocate for retirement, suited my needs.

It was an entirely different story when I decided to send a couple of farewell PM's to a few people on the Portland forum with whom I had grown to feel friendly over the years. Wow! I got the most negative feedback imaginable. It was almost as it they felt they could change my mind. They made no bones about letting me know I was leaving "Paradise" for "The Other place" so-to-speak.

What ever happened to "If you can't say something nice, !" I mean, at least wish a person good luck even if you don't agree with them. One person who responded so unkindly really surprised me because she is usually considered to be so very nice.

The funny thing is, I doubt if any of them have ever even been to Cleveland. I think they were going by the city's reputation and hearsay only. I am certain they had never been to the suburb in which I will be living. My real time friends understand and there are nice people who post here and sometimes on the Portland forum who are also very supportive, but I really didn't expect the criticism from the others I received.

I guess sometimes it's difficult for people who would never dream of relocating to understand why anyone else would. Especially if they feel the new place of choice isn't the traditional retirement paradise.
I can imagine your disappointment. However, never underestimate the power of snobbism! Your internet friends obviously derive part of their self-esteem from living in what they have convinced themselves is a "superior" place. They must consider your decision to leave as a sort of betrayal. It is sad, and it is sick too. Their shallowness and superficiality are, unfortunately, not uncommon.

You are a mature individual who has carefully considered your decision to relocate. The reaction you described says quite a bit about the responders (namely it reveals their essential and deep-seated insecurity that they would certainly vociferously deny if confronted with it) but says nothing about you.
 
Old 05-24-2014, 07:32 PM
 
Location: Near a river
16,042 posts, read 18,988,950 times
Reputation: 15649
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minervah View Post
I wanted to share an experience I have had in my decision making as to a place to relocate. Everyone on this thread has been very supportive and understanding of my reasons in choosing a place that, although certainly not on most people's list of places to relocate for retirement, suited my needs.

It was an entirely different story when I decided to send a couple of farewell PM's to a few people on the Portland forum with whom I had grown to feel friendly over the years. Wow! I got the most negative feedback imaginable. It was almost as it they felt they could change my mind. They made no bones about letting me know I was leaving "Paradise" for "The Other place" so-to-speak.

What ever happened to "If you can't say something nice, !" I mean, at least wish a person good luck even if you don't agree with them. One person who responded so unkindly really surprised me because she is usually considered to be so very nice.

The funny thing is, I doubt if any of them have ever even been to Cleveland. I think they were going by the city's reputation and hearsay only. I am certain they had never been to the suburb in which I will be living. My real time friends understand and there are nice people who post here and sometimes on the Portland forum who are also very supportive, but I really didn't expect the criticism from the others I received.

I guess sometimes it's difficult for people who would never dream of relocating to understand why anyone else would. Especially if they feel the new place of choice isn't the traditional retirement paradise.

Portland is a kind of a (I hate to say the word, forgive me, no other word comes to mind!) yuppie "lifestyle" enclave, much like the area I live in. It's sort of an insulated bubble. I've been to Portland and frankly, it's nothing to write home about. It has its cliquey places just like here, and it's superiority complex just like here. When I had to move my family to the St Louis area for husband's job, people here in Happy Valley wept and said so so sorry you have to leave. Ha! It was one of the best experiences of my life, opened my eyes to metro living (after undergrad Boston) again and the diversity of people, culture, education and the arts. And even though metro, it wasn't as polluted as here in the Valley. I'd move again if not for reasons keeping me here. I have come to heartily dislike concentrated lifestyle places. Cleveland would probably suit me for a number of reasons.
 
Old 05-24-2014, 07:55 PM
 
14,264 posts, read 24,009,233 times
Reputation: 20092
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minervah View Post
The funny thing is, I doubt if any of them have ever even been to Cleveland. I think they were going by the city's reputation and hearsay only. I am certain they had never been to the suburb in which I will be living. My real time friends understand and there are nice people who post here and sometimes on the Portland forum who are also very supportive, but I really didn't expect the criticism from the others I received.

I guess sometimes it's difficult for people who would never dream of relocating to understand why anyone else would. Especially if they feel the new place of choice isn't the traditional retirement paradise.

Being a Cincinnati native, I took a lot of grief for moving to Cleveland years ago. I was a bit apprehensive. However, I had a great time and made tons of friends in the first few months. Most of the people who are down on Cleveland have never been there.
 
Old 05-24-2014, 08:55 PM
 
Location: Lakewood OH
21,697 posts, read 23,681,631 times
Reputation: 35449
Quote:
Originally Posted by newenglandgirl View Post
Portland is a kind of a (I hate to say the word, forgive me, no other word comes to mind!) yuppie "lifestyle" enclave, much like the area I live in. It's sort of an insulated bubble. I've been to Portland and frankly, it's nothing to write home about. It has its cliquey places just like here, and it's superiority complex just like here. When I had to move my family to the St Louis area for husband's job, people here in Happy Valley wept and said so so sorry you have to leave. Ha! It was one of the best experiences of my life, opened my eyes to metro living (after undergrad Boston) again and the diversity of people, culture, education and the arts. And even though metro, it wasn't as polluted as here in the Valley. I'd move again if not for reasons keeping me here. I have come to heartily dislike concentrated lifestyle places. Cleveland would probably suit me for a number of reasons.
You and I are on the exact same page. I moved to Portland in the 70's when it was a small but pleasant city with down to earth people and lots of interesting and unique features. Then it became exactly as you describe. I don't find it unique or weird or anything but a place in which some people feel they are "special" just by virtue of the fact they pay the high price to live here.

As for me I have never followed that type of lifestyle. Were I a young person today living in Chicago and contemplating a relocation as I did in the 70's Portland would not even be a blip on my radar. It's simply too much like every other city of it's type. And having lived in it, I know the ugly side that is kept hidden whereas a city like Cleveland, unfortunately, is being constantly reminded of its failings but tries to do something about them.

I think the unkind reactions I received from the Portlanders I mentioned says a lot about the superior attitude that is commonly found here. Cleveland is more my kind of city.
 
Old 05-24-2014, 09:46 PM
 
14,264 posts, read 24,009,233 times
Reputation: 20092
Minevah,

If you want a taste of Portland when you are in Cleveland, I would suggest a trip to some of the older, more historical parts of Pittsburgh. You will find a similar vibe. Pittsburgh is an easy three hour drive from Cleveland.
 
Old 05-24-2014, 10:26 PM
 
Location: Lakewood OH
21,697 posts, read 23,681,631 times
Reputation: 35449
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlawrence01 View Post
Minervah,

If you want a taste of Portland when you are in Cleveland, I would suggest a trip to some of the older, more historical parts of Pittsburgh. You will find a similar vibe. Pittsburgh is an easy three hour drive from Cleveland.
Pittsburgh is definitely on my list of places to visit after I relocate to Cleveland. I have always good things about it especially the historical aspects of it. I'll be sure to check it out. I have a friend in Virginia I've visited after previous trips to Cleveland and we did a lot of historical touring. Those are pluses of my moving to that part of the country. One of the bonuses of relocation is being able to explore new territory.
 
Old 05-25-2014, 10:25 AM
 
Location: Prescott AZ
6,128 posts, read 9,091,165 times
Reputation: 11545
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minervah View Post
Pittsburgh is definitely on my list of places to visit after I relocate to Cleveland. I have always good things about it especially the historical aspects of it. I'll be sure to check it out. I have a friend in Virginia I've visited after previous trips to Cleveland and we did a lot of historical touring. Those are pluses of my moving to that part of the country. One of the bonuses of relocation is being able to explore new territory.



YES ! This is absolutely so true !! And its why I wish I had the courage to move closer to NC, SC, VA, DC, the east coast, and places filled with history. I am not into cowboys, indians, Roy Rogers or cactus. How in the world did I end up in AZ?? When you don't consider long term stuff, it comes back to bite you. Just thinking of the weather in an area is not enough. Moving from Chicago because of the weather was my motive 12 years ago, but now that I am retired, I want to do museums, old houses, gardens, civil war, plantation stuff. Won't find that here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top