U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-25-2014, 10:36 AM

130 posts, read 263,719 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by newenglandgirl View Post
Portland is a kind of a (I hate to say the word, forgive me, no other word comes to mind!) yuppie "lifestyle" enclave, much like the area I live in. It's sort of an insulated bubble. I've been to Portland and frankly, it's nothing to write home about. It has its cliquey places just like here, and it's superiority complex just like here. When I had to move my family to the St Louis area for husband's job, people here in Happy Valley wept and said so so sorry you have to leave. Ha! It was one of the best experiences of my life, opened my eyes to metro living (after undergrad Boston) again and the diversity of people, culture, education and the arts. And even though metro, it wasn't as polluted as here in the Valley. I'd move again if not for reasons keeping me here. I have come to heartily dislike concentrated lifestyle places. Cleveland would probably suit me for a number of reasons.

Everyday I vacillate about where to relocate. This is one of those times when a husband who has a different unshakable opinion would be useful As for negative feedback, I had that reaction when I visited Pittsburgh to look around -- what is she doing in Pittsburgh? is the kind of question I overheard -- make that What-the-heck-is-in-Pittsburgh. Then I considered Northampton, MA after getting a nice feedback from you. Then Daytona Beach. Then Nashville. Now I'm into the Savannah thing. I just want to drown myself in wine.

It would be nice if it were easy to find a multifamily coop building somewhere pleasant. I know about cohousing -- which turns out to be actually more expensive than buying an individual home yourself. So that's out. The problem is I am neither rich nor poor, so there are no subsidies out there for me. I am overqualified for moderate rental subsidy, but I cannot afford market rent. And I just want to rent!

As for culture snobs, I always know if someone is a rookie or a nouveau riche when they brag about it. Same goes for food and wine snobs or arts, music and literature snobs. I have learned to give these people my signature catatonic look. If you have to brag or "humble-brag" about something, you haven't been educated well -- never mind if you have triple PhD's. It's hard to make real conversations with these people. Anyone who disagrees with me on this will receive my signature look.

Old 05-25-2014, 11:41 AM

21,697 posts, read 23,668,169 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hazfora View Post
Everyday I vacillate about where to relocate. This is one of those times when a husband who has a different unshakable opinion would be useful As for negative feedback, I had that reaction when I visited Pittsburgh to look around -- what is she doing in Pittsburgh? is the kind of question I overheard -- make that What-the-heck-is-in-Pittsburgh. Then I considered Northampton, MA after getting a nice feedback from you. Then Daytona Beach. Then Nashville. Now I'm into the Savannah thing. I just want to drown myself in wine.

It would be nice if it were easy to find a multifamily coop building somewhere pleasant. I know about cohousing -- which turns out to be actually more expensive than buying an individual home yourself. So that's out. The problem is I am neither rich nor poor, so there are no subsidies out there for me. I am overqualified for moderate rental subsidy, but I cannot afford market rent. And I just want to rent!

As for culture snobs, I always know if someone is a rookie or a nouveau riche when they brag about it. Same goes for food and wine snobs or arts, music and literature snobs. I have learned to give these people my signature catatonic look. If you have to brag or "humble-brag" about something, you haven't been educated well -- never mind if you have triple PhD's. It's hard to make real conversations with these people. Anyone who disagrees with me on this will receive my signature look.
I love your "signature look" idea. I will have to cultivate one. I wish we could do that as a response on the Internet. The best I can come up with is "Have you ever been there?"

So many people base their opinions on hearsay, especially information they glean from the media it's just ridiculous and young people seem to be the worst. I am speaking from my own experience now but it is mostly younger people who tell me with the greatest confidence as to what conditions are like in places to which they have never been. But they saw it on the Internet, Facebook, Pinterest, TV etc so it must to be correct. This seems to make them instant culture snobs even though sometimes they don't even live in the places they about which they are snobby. You see this all the time on the general information forum on CD. You see it on trendy city CD forums on which people post but do not live. I guess just posting on these forums make them feel trendy themselves. LOL!

I think that perhaps people of retirement age today grew up used to doing their own research, feet on the ground so to speak, and so were able to determine for themselves what was what rather than letting second and third parties do all the research for them. The Internet is your friend to a point. But there comes a time when you must just see for yourself. I will listen to anyone who has personal experience with a situation even if is something I might not want to hear. And of course, I absolutely believe in checking things out for myself.

It's very interesting to read on various forums about people of different ages regarding their reasons and methods of relocation. Younger people are more venturesome which isn't surprising but they are also more gullible when it comes to believing hype and seem to want to want to follow the crowd especially where status is concerned. I don't mean status in regard to wealth necessarily but status in regard to which group of clique with whom they identify.

This is of course a general statement but when I look at the forum for a trendy city like Portland as well as other like cities, I really see a lot of potential transplants emphasizing the more ethereal aspects than practical. They often put great emphasis more about things like their politics, food preferences, sports, entertainment, social leanings, personality traits and so forth before they get around to asking about practical subjects like COL or jobs or neighborhoods if they even get around to those things at all.

Seniors, like most here, tend to look for much more practical reasons such as COL, family, weather and medical facilities, taxes and the like. Things like good leisure facilities and social activities are important too but they are usually just not at the top of the list.

Of course the "culture snobs" can be of any age. I certainly have found that out as I have told people of my relocation plans. They fit right in with the "geographical snobs." I am practicing my "look" for both.

Old 05-25-2014, 12:29 PM

277 posts, read 298,363 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hazfora View Post
Everyday I vacillate about where to relocate. This is one of those times when a husband who has a different unshakable opinion would be useful As for negative feedback, I had that reaction when I visited Pittsburgh to look around -- what is she doing in Pittsburgh? is the kind of question I overheard -- make that What-the-heck-is-in-Pittsburgh.

I just want to drown myself in wine.

Anyone who disagrees with me on this will receive my signature look.
When my parents divorced, my mom moved us to California, my dad stayed in Pittsburgh. I didn't get back much (always a favorite layover site in my flight attendant days, though). During the last years of my dad's life I spent a good deal of time there and grew to love it. He knew all the "joints" and delighted in showing me his boyhood haunts. And I'm a Steelers fan! I am a sunshine lover, though, so that's a drawback. If you can deal with less than half sunny days, take another look. Great city for affordability (although I've found hotels curiously overpriced), sports fans, foodies, those looking for ethnic enclaves and great sense of neighborhood, outstanding hospital/medical system in UPMC, history, culture, naturally beautiful setting.....you get the picture. If I could score season tickets to the Steelers games, it would be a no-brainer. In fact, I'd move there now, cut back on my workload and commute.
Wine! Always a fine destination. And, I'm trying to find something to disagree on to see the signature look, lol.

Old 05-25-2014, 01:21 PM

14,260 posts, read 23,995,588 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhxBarb View Post
[/b]

YES ! This is absolutely so true !! And its why I wish I had the courage to move closer to NC, SC, VA, DC, the east coast, and places filled with history. I am not into cowboys, indians, Roy Rogers or cactus. How in the world did I end up in AZ?? When you don't consider long term stuff, it comes back to bite you. Just thinking of the weather in an area is not enough. Moving from Chicago because of the weather was my motive 12 years ago, but now that I am retired, I want to do museums, old houses, gardens, civil war, plantation stuff. Won't find that here.

Have you looked at some of the attractions in the Tucson area? They have a great book of attractions that offer 2 for 1 admissions. We buy one every year and pay for it 3-4 times.

Old 05-25-2014, 05:28 PM

3,346 posts, read 3,049,864 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhxBarb View Post
[/b]

YES ! This is absolutely so true !! And its why I wish I had the courage to move closer to NC, SC, VA, DC, the east coast, and places filled with history. I am not into cowboys, indians, Roy Rogers or cactus. How in the world did I end up in AZ?? When you don't consider long term stuff, it comes back to bite you. Just thinking of the weather in an area is not enough. Moving from Chicago because of the weather was my motive 12 years ago, but now that I am retired, I want to do museums, old houses, gardens, civil war, plantation stuff. Won't find that here.
And sometimes, exploring is way overrated. I'll trade you PhxBarb. My work relocated me from San Francisco to Nashville two years ago and I hate it here (the weather, the people, the culture, the politics, the workforce mindset, pretty much everything, though I will admit there is great beer and whiskey and some very good high end restaurants here). I can't wait to be in the position to quit and move anywhere back west. I lived in Tempe and then NorCal for 26+ years and my heart (and mind) is in California or the desert.

Old 05-25-2014, 08:09 PM

6,125 posts, read 9,083,586 times
N.Cal: I don't think I would like Nashville either, if that helps you. My idea of a great place to live has a college campus, educated and friendly people, old gingerbread houses, fantastic gardens and lots of places to do volunteer work. Everyone is different. Hope you can move soon !

Old 05-25-2014, 11:01 PM

4,406 posts, read 5,926,580 times
I haven't caught up on the past few pages, but as far as moving to Cleveland goes: I will always remember the opening to Drew Carey's show -- "Cleveland Rocks" -- and especially the OHIOOOOO at the end. Obviously the natives have a lot of city pride in and loyalty to their hometown, and that says a lot about a city.

Old 05-26-2014, 07:55 AM

12,351 posts, read 7,510,898 times
I own a house, inherited from a bachelor uncle, in a stable neighborhood in a small community, but one which gets regular transients due to the demands of a local nuclear power facility, For the past fifteen years, I've either rented it out or used it personally. sometimes sharing part of it with a short-term tenant.

But with retirement approaching.I want to start on my "bucket list"; so I'm fixing the place up (with help from a long-time friend who will inherit it someday) and planning on raising the rent to reflect the improvements. Then I'll do some exploring, drawing upon my knowledge of how to live economically gained during my years "m the road".

Old 05-26-2014, 02:49 PM

95 posts, read 202,024 times
I am so grateful for this topic and the many, many areas talked about.

I have recently put the Harrisburg area of Pennsylvania on my list... I'm hoping to go look in the vicinity in August. I have vacationed in the Ohio area and PA; but now will be looking with a filter of "could I live here". so I'm glad to see the this area being discussed. So hard to know what the "right" place is isn't it?!

Old 05-26-2014, 03:17 PM

2,627 posts, read 4,952,863 times
Here are some of my areas I do not want to move to:

Areas prone to drought - fire danger and perhaps less of a chance to grow my own food
Areas near the Atlantic or Gulf coast - Hurricanes....been there done that
Areas with a majority of non-English speaking population
Areas that are 'tourist destinations' - too many transients - been there, done that
Areas with long winters and a short summer or 'growing season' - want to grow veggies, flowers
Areas with traffic congestion - prefer a mid-size community - not within 30 miles of a big city

I am looking for:
An area centrally located in the U.S. - easier to make road trips.
An area with opportunities for culture and education - near a university.
An area with parks, natural areas in close proximity for exploring, hiking
An area with volunteer opportunities - I would love to work with animals and or plants
An area with sports activities - for watching and participating
An area that celebrates and appreciates its history
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement