U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-26-2014, 04:15 PM

16,042 posts, read 18,994,426 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by popcorn247 View Post
Here are some of my areas I do not want to move to:

Areas prone to drought - fire danger and perhaps less of a chance to grow my own food
Areas near the Atlantic or Gulf coast - Hurricanes....been there done that
Areas with a majority of non-English speaking population
Areas that are 'tourist destinations' - too many transients - been there, done that
Areas with long winters and a short summer or 'growing season' - want to grow veggies, flowers
Areas with traffic congestion - prefer a mid-size community - not within 30 miles of a big city

I am looking for:
An area centrally located in the U.S. - easier to make road trips.
An area with opportunities for culture and education - near a university.
An area with parks, natural areas in close proximity for exploring, hiking
An area with volunteer opportunities - I would love to work with animals and or plants
An area with sports activities - for watching and participating
An area that celebrates and appreciates its history

I have a great suggestion....Lafayette, Indiana!

Old 05-27-2014, 07:38 AM

130 posts, read 263,833 times
Default Pittsburgh still in my shortlist

Quote:
Originally Posted by mastequila View Post
When my parents divorced, my mom moved us to California, my dad stayed in Pittsburgh. I didn't get back much (always a favorite layover site in my flight attendant days, though). During the last years of my dad's life I spent a good deal of time there and grew to love it. He knew all the "joints" and delighted in showing me his boyhood haunts. And I'm a Steelers fan! I am a sunshine lover, though, so that's a drawback. If you can deal with less than half sunny days, take another look. Great city for affordability (although I've found hotels curiously overpriced), sports fans, foodies, those looking for ethnic enclaves and great sense of neighborhood, outstanding hospital/medical system in UPMC, history, culture, naturally beautiful setting.....you get the picture. If I could score season tickets to the Steelers games, it would be a no-brainer. In fact, I'd move there now, cut back on my workload and commute.
Wine! Always a fine destination. And, I'm trying to find something to disagree on to see the signature look, lol.
Somebody ought to order me to Just Do It. This inertia of indecisiveness is making my head spin. I still have Pittsburgh in my shortlist after considering many other possibilities -- including just recently Savannah, GA. But I cannot seem to find any apartments in the recommended neighborhoods of Pitts or Savannah that are in my budget range of $1000 including some utilities. When I visited Pitts in 2010, there were great older apartments at reasonable prices (to my astonishment), but I was scared to move! Now that I am being uprooted once again because my landlord is selling my unit, I am back in limbo. I am lucky enough in a way that I have a sister here who offered to put me up until I make a decision (not entirely rent-free), but I'm dreading my loss of freedom and space.

I am drawn to urban living because I spent all of my working life in large metro cities and enjoy the diversity of cultural and social offerings and public amenities that cities offer. I am aware that grittiness -- at least in some areas that you either don't patronize or patronize only during the safe hours of the day -- exists in every city or big town and I'm ok with that. So I'm not looking for the perfect little enclave of insulated charm.

I don't know if anyone in this thread is familiar with the current state of living in either Pittsburgh or Savannah, specifically for a single, retired female of moderate means. I looked at the forum posts in those places and couldn't find the information I'm looking for. I should probably post there, too, but most are from the young crowd just starting off and my needs are different from them.

There may be other possible cities or towns that I have overlooked, so all feedback is welcome.

Last edited by hazfora; 05-27-2014 at 07:39 AM.. Reason: grammar typo

Old 05-27-2014, 07:42 AM

Default Lafayette, Indiana?

Quote:
Originally Posted by newenglandgirl View Post
I have a great suggestion....Lafayette, Indiana!

Seriously? Ok, one more place to add to my state of inertia.

I shall follow your suggestion and study the place. Do you live there actually and whereabouts?

Old 05-27-2014, 08:45 AM

Default Savannah and environs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mistermobile View Post
On the day of my retirement I packed up and moved to Savannah Georgia. Why?

It's a resort area and very beautiful, super low housing prices, and warm baby warm. After living behind iron bars in the high crime historic area of the city, I relocated to one of the islands east of the city connected by a good road to the city and route 95. Still here going on three years which is a record for me.

Savannah is on my shortlist (a recent addition) and I like what I have read so far about the environment. Savannah has its charms, which appeal to me, but I cannot visualize what you mean by high crime. I've posted in the Georgia forum and most posters have highly recommended the historic district (and other high-rent districts), but I googled some rentals and they are way above my budget, even if I sacrificed on space. I understand there are areas that are being revitalized -- I am drawn especially to the hype on Starland district. I lived in Manhattan for many years, then Washington, DC, one year in SoCal, now retired and living on the Eastern Shore of VA. I know that grittiness is part of living in a city, but you are in control of which places to avoid wandering into, so that part is ok with me. A little challenge is good for the spirit.

I mean, what do you mean by high crime? In NYC, Queens and Brooklyn, most apartments have iron bars on their windows (unless you live in the mid- to super-highrises, which normally have a concierge) and it is normal to have 3 locks on your front door and to practice cautionary measures. You don't go wandering into iffy neighborhoods at odd times or engaging in bad influence. I am imagining that that's what "smart" people do. Can you give me an example of what you experienced as "high crime" factor while living in Savannah? Which island did you move to?

I just found this site and it lists all the neighborhoods in and around Savannah, but I still need firsthand info to give me the confidence to make a decision. I'll have to do more reading. Can you give us readers some factual insights?

Savannah Chamber

Old 05-27-2014, 01:28 PM

2,627 posts, read 4,957,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hazfora View Post

I shall follow your suggestion and study the place. Do you live there actually and whereabouts?
I grew up in Lafayette, Indiana. It has a great university (Purdue) with lots of educational and cultural opportunities. I've posted several times on the subject of the area and what it has to offer. I moved to south Florida immediately upon graduating from Purdue and have been down here for 40+ years. I miss the friendliness, less congestion, more 'American' aspects of the area. I hope to make a road trip up there this summer. I have no family in the area.

This is a link to all my posts about Lafayette, IN: http://www.city-data.com/forum/searc...rchid=11306693

Last edited by popcorn247; 05-27-2014 at 01:35 PM.. Reason: add more information

Old 05-27-2014, 01:47 PM

4,575 posts, read 7,067,487 times
popcorn247...have you considered Charlottesville, VA? It's COL is on the high side but it has alot of what you are looking for.

Old 05-27-2014, 02:03 PM

16,042 posts, read 18,994,426 times
Quote:

I've never been there, but I have a client who moved from here to there with her husband, a doctor, and they really like it. Purdue is a big draw. It seems like a stable Midwest college/U town with lots of nice affordable housing. I also think it may be north of the typical "tornado" line. I'm visiting her this year I hope. The Midwest seems to be overlooked for a retirement location, with all the focus on the South, MidAtlantic, and West Coast.

Just my 2 cents on Charlottesville and Savannah -

Visited Savannah College of Art in a summer month and it was so hot and humid I nearly fainted. A friend who goes there on occasion tells me the crime rate is high, so check that out.

C'ville ~ seriously explored in 2007. A real college town with downtown jammed with college students, a little much when we were there (it was some big weekend for something and we couldn't get a hotel within the city limits). My sister lived there a few years when her DH was in the military. She said it can get insufferably hot in the summer months. We found the inner-city driving to be congested and not all that easy to get around now, let alone old(er) age. The one thing that I was really impressed with was the senior center, quite a place, almost like a college, within the city limits, and seemingly lots of senior housing.

Lafayette, IN apartment (one of many on Craigslist): http://tippecanoe.craigslist.org/apa/4445668105.html

Last edited by RiverBird; 05-27-2014 at 02:19 PM..

Old 05-27-2014, 02:12 PM

14,266 posts, read 24,016,895 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newenglandgirl View Post
I also think it may be north of the typical "tornado" line. I'm visiting her this year I hope. The Midwest seems to be overlooked for a retirement location, with all the focus on the South, MidAtlantic, and West Coast.
1) Tornadoes are not uncommon in the area.

Moderator cut: link removed, linking to competitor sites is not allowed

Personally, tornadoes would NOT make the top 50 reasons to/ not to relocate. They generally affect very few people.

2) It is the taxes. I have friends and clients moving to AZ and saving $8k/ in PROPERTY taxes alone. Then there are the state taxes on retirement income to a lesser extent.

If taxes were NOT an issue (as well as weather), I would look seriously at Grand Rapids, Mi and Lakewood, OH.

Last edited by Yac; 06-05-2014 at 06:34 AM..

Old 05-27-2014, 02:38 PM

8,141 posts, read 7,649,927 times
Quote:
Savannah is on my shortlist (a recent addition) and I like what I have read so far about the environment. Savannah has its charms, which appeal to me, but I cannot visualize what you mean by high crime. I've posted in the Georgia forum and most posters have highly recommended the historic district (and other high-rent districts), but I googled some rentals and they are way above my budget, even if I sacrificed on space. I understand there are areas that are being revitalized -- I am drawn especially to the hype on Starland district. I lived in Manhattan for many years, then Washington, DC, one year in SoCal, now retired and living on the Eastern Shore of VA. I know that grittiness is part of living in a city, but you are in control of which places to avoid wandering into, so that part is ok with me. A little challenge is good for the spirit.

I mean, what do you mean by high crime? In NYC, Queens and Brooklyn, most apartments have iron bars on their windows (unless you live in the mid- to super-highrises, which normally have a concierge) and it is normal to have 3 locks on your front door and to practice cautionary measures. You don't go wandering into iffy neighborhoods at odd times or engaging in bad influence. I am imagining that that's what "smart" people do. Can you give me an example of what you experienced as "high crime" factor while living in Savannah? Which island did you move to?

I just found this site and it lists all the neighborhoods in and around Savannah, but I still need firsthand info to give me the confidence to make a decision. I'll have to do more reading. Can you give us readers some factual insights?

Savannah Chamber

Once upon a time Savannah was on my shortlist as well, but, I knocked if off the list after some research and hearing about the crime. However, you are correct, it probably isn't much worse than other areas and even the one I ended up in. It was a very long time ago that I considered it, Athens was another area of GA I had considered.

Old 05-27-2014, 03:24 PM

Default Solo traveling together

Quote:
Originally Posted by popcorn247 View Post
Thank you so much for the link!
Thanks for the link! I just signed up for the Moroccan tour that is tentatively scheduled in March 2015. My birthday month.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement