U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-25-2014, 10:50 AM

6,125 posts, read 9,083,586 times

Advertisements

One thing I have learned from reading this thread: you can drive yourself nuts looking for "the perfect place". I now think it may be better to just "jump in" and try to make the place you choose as perfect as possible, once you get there. Otherwise you just won't ever do anything at all. I hope to "jump" really soon. Just hope it isn't over a cliff !

Old 06-25-2014, 12:15 PM

4,574 posts, read 7,060,700 times
PhxBarb....where might that be (general location)?

It's interesting because some of the places I was very interested in 10 years ago when I started thinking about this moving thing don't appeal to me much at all anymore, and other places have peaked my interest. I think things change as we age, so maybe it doesn't pay to put too much effort in it until we're closer to retiring and actually making a move. But then I've had alot of fun internet exploring different places and I know alot more about places in our country now than I did before.

Old 06-25-2014, 01:24 PM

6,125 posts, read 9,083,586 times
Autumn: I totally agree with you. First I wanted NC, for about 3 years. Then they changed their tax system and I decided Greenville SC would be right. After that, I seriously looked at Myrtle Beach but never got there to visit. Now I am planning a trip to Fayetteville, AR in August and also Bella Vista, where my high school friend lives. I sincerely hope this will be it. At least its close enough for me to come back and visit my daughter in Phx if I want to. Whew. I am tired of looking...

Old 06-25-2014, 03:11 PM

16,042 posts, read 18,978,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhxBarb View Post
Autumn: I totally agree with you. First I wanted NC, for about 3 years. Then they changed their tax system and I decided Greenville SC would be right. After that, I seriously looked at Myrtle Beach but never got there to visit. Now I am planning a trip to Fayetteville, AR in August and also Bella Vista, where my high school friend lives. I sincerely hope this will be it. At least its close enough for me to come back and visit my daughter in Phx if I want to. Whew. I am tired of looking...
If I were to move back to the Midwest, Fayetteville would be the first place I'd look. It's a nice college town with lots to do. Good luck on your trip. Good that you're going in summer; you'll get a feel for the heat.

Old 06-25-2014, 07:12 PM

25 posts, read 26,848 times
Default There are many tiny house options

There are tiny houses which do not require stairs to the bed. Check out the website "Tiny House Listings." There many styles and one which would most likely work for anyone at any age. I peruse this site just to see the variety of layouts. Good Luck!

Old 06-26-2014, 03:46 AM

16,355 posts, read 10,343,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhxBarb View Post
One thing I have learned from reading this thread: you can drive yourself nuts looking for "the perfect place". I now think it may be better to just "jump in" and try to make the place you choose as perfect as possible, once you get there. Otherwise you just won't ever do anything at all. I hope to "jump" really soon. Just hope it isn't over a cliff !
totally agree.

Good luck on your leap, PhxBarb

Old 06-26-2014, 06:12 PM

282 posts, read 306,027 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tondra View Post
There are tiny houses which do not require stairs to the bed. Check out the website "Tiny House Listings." There many styles and one which would most likely work for anyone at any age. I peruse this site just to see the variety of layouts. Good Luck!
I am getting ready to retire at age 55. I am still young, active, and have many hobbies. So I want a large garage (or two) with a workshop, etc. But I don't need a 2500 sqft house. Since I will no longer be worried about resale (like my current house), I am considering buying a few acres and building a tiny house with about 2000 sqft of garages and workshop. I plan to stay 30+ years, so no stairs etc are a good thought for the future.

Old 06-26-2014, 06:30 PM

6,954 posts, read 7,393,688 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CSRSJim View Post
I am getting ready to retire at age 55. I am still young, active, and have many hobbies. So I want a large garage (or two) with a workshop, etc. But I don't need a 2500 sqft house. Since I will no longer be worried about resale (like my current house), I am considering buying a few acres and building a tiny house with about 2000 sqft of garages and workshop. I plan to stay 30+ years, so no stairs etc are a good thought for the future.
Had to laugh at this. Your tiny house will basically be a swanky outhouse and you'll spend your time in the grand garage(s).

Old 06-26-2014, 08:16 PM

6,756 posts, read 8,315,517 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Umbria View Post
Had to laugh at this. Your tiny house will basically be a swanky outhouse and you'll spend your time in the grand garage(s).
As it should be!

Old 06-27-2014, 04:04 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
22,586 posts, read 39,962,822 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Umbria View Post
thus... my preference is to Build a LARGE shop with an apartment in one corner. I can do that for 1/2 the price of a Tiny House, and in 1/2 the time. I rent out the main house (for monthly gain + someone to mow the grass and watch the place, feed the dog), and I get to stay in a NEW apartment for free. The tax assessor is none the wiser.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement