U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-03-2014, 09:17 PM

232 posts, read 240,986 times

Advertisements

I live in northern Tampa Bay area about 5 miles inland and the heat July-mid Sept is oppressive mid day. I spend time outdoors every day in the morning and again in the evening. I stay in the ac during the afternoon with the drapes drawn on the sunny side of the house. It's absolutely worth it when that first cool front comes through in mid Sept and you know that a spectacular fall, winter and spring are just around the corner. I've been here 33 years now and still love it.

Old 08-06-2014, 12:21 PM

1,078 posts, read 1,124,219 times
Aaah, I am having plenty of fun reading the cool stories about relocating and retirement, the COL and the likes, hey, you can never be too young to learn, lol. Soon, in another ten years or so, I'll be jumping into the game. all though, I must confess, I love living near a sleepy college town (Princeton Village, NJ) with plenty of things to do.

We have beautiful rolling hills, the foliage, the winters are really not so bad except this past year of course, sitting back drinking a little blueberry Merlot out on the deck during the fall, it truly is beautiful, I can't see myself moving, all thought that might change in the next decade or so, who knows? in the short term, I'll sit back and continue reading. Thanks! and good luck.

Knight

Old 08-07-2014, 03:25 PM

41 posts, read 29,582 times
I love reading these posts also. They bring up issues and ideas that I would not have otherwise thought about.

Old 08-11-2014, 01:39 AM

384 posts, read 877,571 times
sunigal99 - a few years ago I arrived at a similar conclusion as you did after reading this thread over time....only I am in the far north and plan to get out of here for the harsher weather months. Perhaps we should visit each other during our "off seasons" .

It's always good to pop back in here once in a while and see what and how folks are doing. Enjoyed Minervah's update .. congrats to you!

Old 08-11-2014, 12:54 PM

7,801 posts, read 4,391,333 times
I'd love to see -- or find out about, if there already is one -- some kind of house-sharing network among retirees. Who wants to spend all year in just one location unless you're stuck there because of a job?

Old 08-11-2014, 01:12 PM

232 posts, read 240,986 times
Stealth Rabbit has commented on ways to live in different areas. I looked into duplexes in my area, but most are in rental areas that aren't very nice for a single retired woman. There are sites, like AirBnB, where you can rent a room in someone's house or Evergreen that caters to seniors. I have not used these personally. Some apartment complexes have 3 month leases and Padmapper shows available rentals.
I would love to spend a summer in Alaska, Miruca! Any place with mountains and coolish weather sounds wonderful to me this hot steamy August afternoon!

Old 08-11-2014, 07:24 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
22,592 posts, read 39,962,822 times
Rent a spare room / guest home in PNW or BC or maritime NS.... Lots of seniors and empty nesters have space. Summer is tight season and airB is spendy.

Old 08-11-2014, 09:28 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
22,592 posts, read 39,962,822 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by miruca View Post
sunigal99 - a few years ago I arrived at a similar conclusion as you did after reading this thread over time....only I am in the far north and plan to get out of here for the harsher weather months. Perhaps we should visit each other during our "off seasons" .

This is a workable plan with the right housing. Try to create a separate living space (in case you need a future caregiver). In the meantime you can use it as an occasional shared resource for others as above... (or for hosting Evergreen / similar.)

For those in apartments, a bit more challenging, but worthwhile looking into options such as senior friends with space, and helping them convert it to income / usable space. I have 6 neighbors with such additional temporary living qtrs. (often a shop / garage / daylight basement with apartment.)

Some of my retiree friends get seasonal rentals for skiing, boating, regional travel, weather, healthcare (Radiation vacations)...

Old 08-12-2014, 05:12 AM

384 posts, read 877,571 times
Stealth - I believe affordable housing is key to a flexible retirement. A vibrant summer tourist season and a busy political season (legislature meets here) has allowed me to rent out space seasonally or reserve it for personal guests as needed. I have had several repeat renters. One of those is now taking over the apt lease and I will maintain a reduced cost, reduced presence in the space for the next year. After that, it is likely I'll transition to "compound living" in a cabin on friends property; we have talked about doing this since our 30's but raising kids, busy careers etc kept us on our own tracks. With more freedom, this option sounds more appealing again. For this year, however, I just wasn't ready to leave my town space and wanted a year to transition.

Sunigal99 - although my current arrangement is limiting in terms of personal guests .. future options will allow for it .. so you may get some cool summer time in Alaska yet!

Otterhere - maybe we should start a senior housing exchange or senior surfing! Great idea! That is how couch surfing and Air B&B came to be .. someone's idea put out on a web site.

Old 08-12-2014, 03:17 PM

130 posts, read 263,719 times
Default Homesharing for seniors

Quote:
Originally Posted by otterhere View Post
I'd love to see -- or find out about, if there already is one -- some kind of house-sharing network among retirees. Who wants to spend all year in just one location unless you're stuck there because of a job?
Yes, indeed, there are several networks for homesharing among seniors. Just google "homesharing for seniors" and you'll get a list. I subscribed to one called https://letssharehousing.com/. Most listings are in the CA and Oregon areas. While this sounds good on paper, most of the time it's just like a roommate referral service. What I'm looking for is committed sharing, not a temporary one until the homeowner decides to sell. I am also open to co-owning a duplex -- that is the most ideal situation -- you get both privacy and space, and the freedom to stay there until you die, companionship, shared maintenance, even a shared garden. Build it in an ideal town and you've got it made. Should it become absolutely necessary to sell, that doesn't affect the other owner (good legal documents needed here). In other words, you're not entering into a relationship with a view to get out and cash in later when the market is right.

I have yet to discover a network for co-ownership.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement