U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-13-2014, 05:44 AM

1,968 posts, read 1,984,008 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avalon08 View Post
I don't know about that. I was at the beach on Anna Maria Island Friday and today -- on both days the sun was intense but in the afternoon the breezes became STRONG. It was just beautiful. I have been on the island where there is no breeze, so maybe these days were an anomaly, but whoever might be vacationing down here at this time is getting some gorgeous beach weather and it's early August.
My mom used to live in Palmetto and recently I've been thinking about going down there to look for a small condo. I actually like Sarasota better but it may be too expensive. At any rate, it is a nice area in general.

Old 08-14-2014, 02:08 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
22,569 posts, read 39,952,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hazfora View Post
Yes, indeed, there are several networks for homesharing among seniors. ... I am also open to co-owning a duplex -- that is the most ideal situation -- you get both privacy and space, and the freedom to stay there until you die, companionship, shared maintenance, even a shared garden. Build it in an ideal town and you've got it made. Should it become absolutely necessary to sell, that doesn't affect the other owner (good legal documents needed here). In other words, you're not entering into a relationship with a view to get out and cash in later when the market is right.

I have yet to discover a network for co-ownership.

Let's start one for shared equity / co-ownership.

Probably the easiest way is through member LLC, and of course will need to be the correct terms / protection for each party. I am inclined to own complete, and have someone own complete in another location / climate and work out some sharing. / seasons. we may both be there, but OK as it will have multiple living units. (As well as apartment for caregiver.)

Old 08-15-2014, 09:24 PM

4,404 posts, read 5,925,325 times
Long ago and far away, when this thread first started, there were some ladies (that's all it was at the time) who proposed our getting together in some kind of shared-housing or co-op type situation. Everyone liked the idea...except when it came to deciding WHERE to live. That's where everyone kind of went in divergent directions and the idea kind of petered out....

Old 08-16-2014, 07:19 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
22,569 posts, read 39,952,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avalon08 View Post
Long ago and far away, ...except when it came to deciding WHERE to live. That's where everyone kind of went in divergent directions and the idea kind of petered out....
Thus we need Multiple locations with extra space for visitors (long and short term!). Worldwide options would be nice! Surely there are hundreds in Denmark! (Very common for co-op / IC living. ~40% of population)

I know of a few existing woman's co-op / shared housing / IC's in USA; CA, PNW, and SE USA. I'm sure they are most places, just tough to uncover! Keep digging!

Old 08-18-2014, 04:29 PM

4,554 posts, read 5,470,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by loveautumn View Post
With LeBron and Johnny Football both in Cleveland, the place has to be getting excited.

They will bring alot of money into the city and that's a good thing.
I too am happy for Cleveland.

I am not happy for Portage County because of the fracking business and what it is doing to property values. Poor water quality will be an issue in the future for more of Ohio and other states.

So many things to consider when moving on.

Old 08-20-2014, 04:24 PM

21,699 posts, read 23,664,674 times
A friend of mine who has lived all her life in West VA is contemplating buying a small house with a friend of hers who lives in Maryland on an place called Smith Island on the coast of Maine. If they don't wind up there, they will retire to another spot but they are definitely going to make a purchase of a home together.

My friend in West VA is now rattling around in her large family home all my herself. It has too many levels now for her to navigate comfortable. Her MD friend is the same position with the exception in that she lives with her ailing mom. Mom would of course move with them for the few remaining years she may have. My friend is a nurse and would not mind helping to look after mom.

Another kind of similar situation is two sister I know who bought a house together about twenty years ago in Albany OR. They will be retiring soon and will be buying a condo in Hawaii. There are all sorts of ways Seniors can get together to combine forces in later years.

I wouldn't mind doing that if it weren't for the fact that I have lived alone for all but ten years of my adult life and probably would not be very good roommate material.

Old 08-20-2014, 08:38 PM

232 posts, read 240,910 times
"I wouldn't mind doing that if it weren't for the fact that I have lived alone for all but ten years of my adult life and probably would not be very good roommate material." Minervah

In theory, it would be great to share. But I have to agree with your last statement. When you've lived alone for a long time, it makes sharing space a scary idea. I could do a duplex or MIL apt arrangement, but I have to have my space. That's why 55+ mobile home parks appeal to me. You have your own home, but if your newspaper is still in your driveway at noon, someone will knock to see if you're okay.

Old 08-20-2014, 08:50 PM

14,018 posts, read 17,737,509 times
^^^^^^^^^ That makes three of us: Minervah, Sunigal99, and I. Three of us who are too used to living alone to want to share our space except on a short term basis. I am fine with a house guest for four or five days, or with being a guest in someone else's house for a similar time period, but long-term, no.

It's funny how different things were when we were younger. I lived in college dorms and had room mates. In graduate school I shared an apartment for a while with three other students. We were flexible enough to make it work and we accepted the situation because that's just how things were - financial necessity and all. Now at age 70 it's just not the same.

Old 08-21-2014, 07:08 AM

16,042 posts, read 18,975,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minervah View Post
A friend of mine who has lived all her life in West VA is contemplating buying a small house with a friend of hers who lives in Maryland on an place called Smith Island on the coast of Maine. If they don't wind up there, they will retire to another spot but they are definitely going to make a purchase of a home together.

My friend in West VA is now rattling around in her large family home all my herself. It has too many levels now for her to navigate comfortable. Her MD friend is the same position with the exception in that she lives with her ailing mom. Mom would of course move with them for the few remaining years she may have. My friend is a nurse and would not mind helping to look after mom.

Another kind of similar situation is two sister I know who bought a house together about twenty years ago in Albany OR. They will be retiring soon and will be buying a condo in Hawaii. There are all sorts of ways Seniors can get together to combine forces in later years.

I wouldn't mind doing that if it weren't for the fact that I have lived alone for all but ten years of my adult life and probably would not be very good roommate material.
Purchase a home together with someone else not a spouse? Never. Not even with a relative. The risks are too high. Especially in a remote place like off the coast of Maine!

It gets terribly "close" day in day out living with a housemate. All well if your mutual stars are perfectly aligned, but even then. You have a falling out over something major or trivial and it escalates from unpleasantness to worse, and then you're in a legal and logistical mess.

And one housemate looking after another's parent? Sounds sweet at first, but then think about the day in day out and the lack of support from the outside. A huge responsibility that could become a stressful burden (I could write a book about this, as my own divorce from hubby of 40 yrs was due in significant part to the high level stress of dealing with my elderly mother. We are now happily back together and the burdens of "others" are a thing of the past, TG.)

Not to be a downer about this, just my opinion from personal experience and observation of others.

OTOH, I would entertain the thought of house sharing, but I would find out everything about the legal aspects first. There are "rights" in many states that make it nearly impossible to get rid of a housemate who becomes unwanted at any point. Safer to find two apts or condos next to each other.

Old 08-21-2014, 10:32 AM

6,124 posts, read 9,081,096 times
Totally agree with the others who want their own space. I can't even entertain friends in my house graciously even though I have 2 spare bedrooms. A few years ago I offered to entertain in my house good friends from NM and they came for 5 days and I was a wreck. I served frozen pizza, made them sleep in separate bedrooms, and snuck out in the early am's to walk alone. I had to take a valium to sleep at night. They are wonderful people and I am ashamed of myself, but it just makes me too nervous to have people in my house. Even workmen. I dread them coming and can't wait for them to leave.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement