U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-26-2014, 08:47 PM
HDL

3,141 posts, read 6,023,008 times

Advertisements

Like the OP Wisteria, who bought a mobile home in a park in Santa Cruz, I found a website that has the best information on mobile home parks that I've ever seen. It does belong to a Realtor and I don't know him nor can I recommend him (against TOS), but he does have a great website full of very helpful information - actually one of the most helpful that I've seen.

If you are looking for real estate info on Santa Cruz or even Monterey, this is a good place to begin your search -

Mobile home parks in Santa Cruz County, California for people over 55.

Mobile Homes Parks|Santa Cruz County, CA| For Sale Aptos |Capitola

Old 08-30-2014, 04:33 PM

2,512 posts, read 2,281,691 times
Never thought so many people retire and move. I'm doing just that, retiring Sept 30, moving Oct 1-3; from UT to ID. A lot of people I work with thought it was strange; but then many thought I had remained longer here than any other place.

Old 09-03-2014, 11:24 AM

3,359 posts, read 10,916,074 times
So, any women interested in retiring to a great locale in Florida right next door to the exciting and beautiful active community called The Villages? My room mate is leaving this month and I have a large home fully furnished with lovely antiques so all you'd need to bring are your clothes. Two bedrooms in a separate wing, one used as a private sitting room/guest room, private bath, and bedroom. Lots of activities w golf, pool, library, classes and five minutes to anything you could want in the form of entertainment. DM me.

Old 09-03-2014, 06:10 PM

16,042 posts, read 18,988,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sgoldie View Post
So, any women interested in retiring to a great locale in Florida right next door to the exciting and beautiful active community called The Villages? My room mate is leaving this month and I have a large home fully furnished with lovely antiques so all you'd need to bring are your clothes. Two bedrooms in a separate wing, one used as a private sitting room/guest room, private bath, and bedroom. Lots of activities w golf, pool, library, classes and five minutes to anything you could want in the form of entertainment. DM me.
Wow, sounds lovely, SG. If I didn't have a partner and two dogs and grandtwins, I'd be packing my bags. Best wishes in finding your next housemate!

Old 09-06-2014, 03:18 PM

23 posts, read 25,943 times
Just found this thread. Doesn't seem as if many on this thread plan to move to a retirement community. I do. I live in Los Angeles and as of now plan to go to AZ in 4 years. I've been an adventurous woman most my life, lived in several states and the Philippines in the Peace Corps. But I think I want the services of retirement community for when I get older. I don't want to move and move again when older. I had planned to go to Florida but my best friend is in LA. Since its only a 6 hour drive I decided on AZ instead. Is anyone out there who moved alone to a retirement place in AZ?

Old 09-07-2014, 07:48 AM

130 posts, read 263,797 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sgoldie View Post
. . . except I'm so over antiques and old stuff.

Old 09-11-2014, 09:15 AM

4,979 posts, read 3,466,540 times
What a great thread! I've been researching retirement options and my mouth watered over Idaho's lushness. But, am choosing either southern Illinois, Kentucky or Tennessee. Having lived in the cold most of my life, I want warmth.

I have two brothers, one in Nashville (which I could never afford) & one in southern Illinois. I loved the friendliness of the people & the wonderful church my brother & sister-in-law belong to, also the apt complex I'm interested in is senior housing w/rent being a third of my check. I was hoping to get somewhere in-between my brothers, still researching, but it may be the best for me.

I'd never thought of going there as the summers are so hot. But guess I'd rather stay in during the heat as opposed to the cold. There were a few times last winter when no one could go anywhere until the Snoqualmie came by. And that was enough for me.

Old 09-12-2014, 10:19 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
22,632 posts, read 39,998,659 times
Stick with TN for tax and low housing cost benefits. If you want cooler temps and no tornadoes, head for the hills (Blue Ridge). Not between Bros, but I like far NE TN.

People are great, very warm and helpful.

Join Evergreen or Affordable travel clubs ($10/night worldwide in EXCELLENT and safe lodging). Stay with locals and get to know your new area well... BEFORE you decide.

Old 09-21-2014, 05:02 AM

1,706 posts, read 1,228,078 times
Totally agree with those of you who prefer living alone! No matter how much I love or enjoy the company of certain people, I crave my own space and solitude.

I am torn about whether to move when I retire. I have a cute bungalow in a great neighborhood within walking distance of stores. Also, if I need the money, I can rent out the entire top floor of my house which is a totally private bedroom and bathroom. And yes, if I did this I would need to come to terms with living with a housemate again, but the way the house is set up we would each have our own living spaces....

On the other hand- I am tempted to sell the house and rent for a couple of years in interesting locations throughout the country; this would give me the opportunity to live light, try out different locations, and save money on home ownership expenses.

I have heard a lot of good things about NE TN. Certainly the natural beauty and lower cost of living would be a huge draw for me, but I worry that the political balance may be a little too conservative for me.

I absolutely love the idea of the Evergreen type clubs- what a great way to get to know an area at an affordable cost. I will have to look into them and see whether or not some of the hosts welcome dogs.

Old 09-25-2014, 07:04 AM

1,961 posts, read 1,576,964 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newretiree View Post
Wow! I had picked both Knoxville and Asheville though Asheville is getting a little too costly housing wise. Was the summer as brutal as the weather forecasters depicted it? I have some respiratory problems sometimes. I live in Seattle and can't afford to buy a home here - even smaller towns like Olympia are getting too costly and the rain and cold is starting to get to me. 222 days of clouds is too much. I agree that the east coast is more friendly as Wisteria said - I lived in Marietta, GA for fifteen years. Safety is one thing I am very aware of. I am ready to give notice at work after reading both of your messages! I too want to go back to school. I have studied the tax situation for retirees and Tennessee is one of the lowest cost of living states for retirees - there is much said about sales tax but it is not much different than the 8.9% we pay here and property taxes are much less. Is it easy to make friends? What part of Knoxville did you decide to live in? I have looked at houses in the Maryville area and they are beautiful!

Just some thoughts I have had in this exciting journey to decide were to go for the next part of my life.
Have you considered Sequim in the Olympic Rain Shadow? Very close to home for you but very dry. And more sunny/partly sunny days.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement