Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-26-2014, 07:37 AM

1,976 posts, read 2,353,168 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by twelvepaw View Post

I have heard a lot of good things about NE TN. Certainly the natural beauty and lower cost of living would be a huge draw for me, but I worry that the political balance may be a little too conservative for me.

I absolutely love the idea of the Evergreen type clubs- what a great way to get to know an area at an affordable cost. I will have to look into them and see whether or not some of the hosts welcome dogs.
The political factor is very important to me also. I definitely want a progressive area. I have wondered about areas in North Carolina and Florida. I've driven through TN, Chattanooga is one of the prettier areas. NE TN is pretty you say? I would like to check out more areas of Florida, Tampa Bay area is attractive, was wondering about progressive areas of Florida actually but haven't found much information.

Old 09-26-2014, 04:27 PM

2,560 posts, read 2,302,327 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by artisan4 View Post
The political factor is very important to me also. I definitely want a progressive area. I have wondered about areas in North Carolina and Florida. I've driven through TN, Chattanooga is one of the prettier areas. NE TN is pretty you say? I would like to check out more areas of Florida, Tampa Bay area is attractive, was wondering about progressive areas of Florida actually but haven't found much information.
Come on out to California! You can't get more progressive than our tax rates!!! 80% democrats....what isn't there to like??!!

Old 09-27-2014, 10:23 AM

1,961 posts, read 2,253,349 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Burkmere View Post
Come on out to California! You can't get more progressive than our tax rates!!! 80% democrats....what isn't there to like??!!
My folks have lived in Southern California (San Diego area) for the past 42 years. They are financially secure. But they are concerned about California's financial future. Just another POV to consider.

Check out this CD thread: anyone worried about Los Angeles or California's financial future? (Orange: crime, credit rating)

Old 09-27-2014, 10:41 AM

2,790 posts, read 6,128,900 times
I am one step closer in my plans. I am retiring in a few weeks! After that happens I will have lots of time to work in my yard and on my house to get it ready to put up for sale. I know that I will move out of Florida (way too hot and humid and other reasons....). The fun is about to begin!!

Old 09-27-2014, 11:53 AM

30,527 posts, read 16,222,191 times
congratulations on your retirement.

And your attitude!

Old 09-28-2014, 10:30 AM

1,154 posts, read 1,426,059 times
Have any of you tried meeting new friends via the MeetUp groups? They are apparently a well kept secret but I have found them to be a life saver, for me! Yes! There's an app for MeetUps. You can type in anything you have an interest in...yoga, salsa dancing, ethnic groups, meet & eat any cuisine, day tips..it is endless! Large or small city, there are MeetUps in both! I have met some wonderful new male and female friends and don't have to do anything as a single anymore, unless I choose to! The hardest thing for me was to give it a first try...and I am not a shy woman! It was just something new and different to me and its 'online' status to get going was iffy to me (although I have dated online for 15+ yrs, also). Now I have to keep a calendar to keep up with my life!
I don't get paid to write this, I am NOT an owner/developer of MeetUps...just a single 60 yr old woman who had begun to self-isolate myself in retirement and realized it was a nowhere place to be, for me! I didn't have to move to do so. I am a Miami, FL transplant to Charlotte, NC now for 28 yrs. Charlotte is a growing city, LOTS of younger people have been moved into The South now since it became a big financial center. We are MUCH MORE diverse thinking here now...I hated it when I moved here, for so many Deep South/Good ol' Boys reasons, but we (all the transplants from all parts of of the USA) have changed Charlotte for the better! The only real thing I would change IF I could, is having a beach less than an hour away. Our city has all four seasons, a fairly mild Winter (most years), and Summers are not all that hot & humid in comparison to FL from about Ocala south. Housing IS getting expensive IN the city of Charlotte, but buy/rent in one of the 'side cities' (neighboring cities, 30 min in any direction) and life can be fun and affordable!

Old 09-28-2014, 12:23 PM

2,560 posts, read 2,302,327 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mooksmom View Post
Have any of you tried meeting new friends via the MeetUp groups? They are apparently a well kept secret but I have found them to be a life saver, for me! Yes! There's an app for MeetUps. You can type in anything you have an interest in...yoga, salsa dancing, ethnic groups, meet & eat any cuisine, day tips..it is endless! Large or small city, there are MeetUps in both! I have met some wonderful new male and female friends and don't have to do anything as a single anymore, unless I choose to! The hardest thing for me was to give it a first try...and I am not a shy woman! It was just something new and different to me and its 'online' status to get going was iffy to me (although I have dated online for 15+ yrs, also). Now I have to keep a calendar to keep up with my life!
I don't get paid to write this, I am NOT an owner/developer of MeetUps...just a single 60 yr old woman who had begun to self-isolate myself in retirement and realized it was a nowhere place to be, for me! I didn't have to move to do so. I am a Miami, FL transplant to Charlotte, NC now for 28 yrs. Charlotte is a growing city, LOTS of younger people have been moved into The South now since it became a big financial center. We are MUCH MORE diverse thinking here now...I hated it when I moved here, for so many Deep South/Good ol' Boys reasons, but we (all the transplants from all parts of of the USA) have changed Charlotte for the better! The only real thing I would change IF I could, is having a beach less than an hour away. Our city has all four seasons, a fairly mild Winter (most years), and Summers are not all that hot & humid in comparison to FL from about Ocala south. Housing IS getting expensive IN the city of Charlotte, but buy/rent in one of the 'side cities' (neighboring cities, 30 min in any direction) and life can be fun and affordable!
I go to meetups all the time...they are great!! It highly recommend getting the app or just use the website...

Old 09-28-2014, 01:05 PM

14,016 posts, read 20,907,290 times
I have always maintained that it takes a lot of guts to retire, especially as single, to a different location. I'm glad Meet-Up groups have worked well for some posters just above. So many things start over - finding tradespeople that one trusts - auto mechanic, handyman, plumber, barber, etc. But friends are equally, perhaps more, important.

Old 09-30-2014, 12:08 PM

21,695 posts, read 28,449,641 times
I am just in the beginning stages after my cross country move of trying to find everything I need from service people to friends. I had to do this nearly forty years ago when I moved cross country in the opposite direction but it was a lot easier because I was a lot younger and healthier.

Still, it does get a bit easier as time goes by and I would recommend that anyone who really wants to or feels the need to go for it. I did it mainly for financial reasons and to be closer to the part of the family I wanted to be closer to although we are still about 7-8 hours away.

I wouldn't hesitate to move to a Senior community if I am not successful in making new friends or if I found it was difficult getting to activities on my own. I am not ready for that yet but it is an option. I have one or two in mind I can afford. I know that some here look down on those places but for a single woman like me alone in a new city, it's a good option for meeting people, having help close at hand for things like repairs and activities at your doorstep.

That's why I would advise anyone who feels they must relocate for good reason to go ahead and do it. Sure there are obstacles, some really frustrating ones but staying put can lead to obstacles too. If anyone thinks relocation can improve their life, that's the most important reason for moving. It may not seem so right away but eventually everything will fall into place.

Old 09-30-2014, 05:19 PM

14,016 posts, read 20,907,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minervah View Post
I am just in the beginning stages after my cross country move of trying to find everything I need from service people to friends. I had to do this nearly forty years ago when I moved cross country in the opposite direction but it was a lot easier because I was a lot younger and healthier.

Still, it does get a bit easier as time goes by and I would recommend that anyone who really wants to or feels the need to go for it. I did it mainly for financial reasons and to be closer to the part of the family I wanted to be closer to although we are still about 7-8 hours away.

I wouldn't hesitate to move to a Senior community if I am not successful in making new friends or if I found it was difficult getting to activities on my own. I am not ready for that yet but it is an option. I have one or two in mind I can afford. I know that some here look down on those places but for a single woman like me alone in a new city, it's a good option for meeting people, having help close at hand for things like repairs and activities at your doorstep.

That's why I would advise anyone who feels they must relocate for good reason to go ahead and do it. Sure there are obstacles, some really frustrating ones but staying put can lead to obstacles too. If anyone thinks relocation can improve their life, that's the most important reason for moving. It may not seem so right away but eventually everything will fall into place.
My sister and I moved our mother into a retirement community when she was 90, which was just like renting an apartment with certain added services as part of the rent. Those added services were:

1. Two meals a day in a dining hall. (Many such places provide three meals a day). But residents still had a smallish kitchen.
2. Maid service once a week which included laundering the towels and sheets.
3. Van service which took residents to certain places (not sure of the details).
4. Front desk manned 24/7.
5. Beauty parlor on the premises.

It was great for people who no longer drove, but there were people living their who still drove, but who wisely had made the move before it became absolutely necessary. We (sister and I and our mother) liked the atmosphere of the place, and it seemed a sensible choice. What my mother had was called "independent living", but there was also an "assisted living" wing where, for increased rent, daily help with bathing, dressing, etc. was available.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement