U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-08-2014, 09:00 PM

4 posts, read 3,926 times

Advertisements

I think you should do a little research on Sun City Carolina Lakes. It is just 10 miles south of Charlotte, NC in South Carolina. Easy access to major international airport and major medical centers both in rapidly growing Charlotte. I live here and I was originally from NY. There are over 200 clubs to join, many singles, golf, tennis, swimming....all kinds of activities. It is referred to as an "adult communities" designed for
for people over 55. You should really look into it.

Old 12-08-2014, 09:48 PM

1,219 posts, read 1,026,635 times
Thx for the tip jerrypep!

Old 12-13-2014, 09:33 PM

19,826 posts, read 18,832,665 times
I've made a short list now of retirement apartment complexes in the Hampton Roads area of VA. I need to be near the ocean so the other parts of VA that are in or near mountains are out. I'll be heading down there in January and staying with my sister and I want to see these places in person, not just in pictures.

One thing--I think it's important to meet the people in the town or senior community and see what they're like. You need common interests and common values. Being a northerner, I'm a little bit wary of the south because it's definitely a different kind of culture. On the plus side, the Hampton Roads area is composed of lots of transplants from all over the country so you have a better chance of meeting all kinds of people. Also, not so many cliques who already know each other and don't let any new people in.

There sure are a lot of things to consider. I think medical care is one of the most important--and Mass is good for that. However, maybe people who live in milder climates don't need some of the medical care such as getting patched up after a bad fall on the ice or from a car accident from driving on icy roads. I know they get ice in the south but not all. winter. long.

Old 12-16-2014, 09:28 PM

6,550 posts, read 3,653,233 times
I'm beginning to think I could benefit from having a maid or cleaning service. I don't see the dust and smudges piling up until it becomes too much for one person to handle. I live in the desert and dust seems to seep in constantly. I also have a cat. Any suggestions or experiences (other than get rid of the cat)?

Old 12-17-2014, 01:58 PM

4,571 posts, read 7,054,651 times
Keep in mind that Hampton Roads is heavily military so there's those that are in the military/retired military and those that aren't, my experience is that military folks mostly hang with other military folks. HR also has a lot of traffic...I'm glad you're going to check it out in person. Does your sister live there?

Old 12-17-2014, 06:14 PM

4,962 posts, read 3,452,717 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SunGrins View Post
I'm beginning to think I could benefit from having a maid or cleaning service. I don't see the dust and smudges piling up until it becomes too much for one person to handle. I live in the desert and dust seems to seep in constantly. I also have a cat. Any suggestions or experiences (other than get rid of the cat)?
Actually you probably have a company that does that. Ours here is New Dimensions. Your Dr should know.

Old 12-17-2014, 08:56 PM

19,826 posts, read 18,832,665 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by loveautumn View Post
Keep in mind that Hampton Roads is heavily military so there's those that are in the military/retired military and those that aren't, my experience is that military folks mostly hang with other military folks. HR also has a lot of traffic...I'm glad you're going to check it out in person. Does your sister live there?
Yes, thanks. My sister had to move there a long time ago when her husband got a university job there. I've been down there a lot for visits so my main concern is the summer climate. The August heat and humidity just about knocked me over a few years ago. She says they just stay inside in a/c all summer but I could barely make if from a/c house to a/c car!

She says Chesapeake is quieter as far as planes going over so I'm leaning towards that area. I'm not too thrilled with all the military presence but there's not much I can do about that. I'd rather have a mixture of people.

Old 12-19-2014, 03:41 AM

13,314 posts, read 25,546,272 times
I am not yet retired but I have a cleaning team of four Brazilians who come in once a month for an hour and they sandblast my small house, and do it with a smile. By the way, I have six dogs, so the floor always needs a good cleaning.

Old 12-19-2014, 08:40 AM

14,257 posts, read 23,974,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by loveautumn View Post

Military people are some of the most INCLUSIVE people that I have ever met. When I was a young kid fresh out of college living and working off-base near Ft. Lee in Petersburg, VA, retired military guys would make sure that I had a place to go to for the holidays and occasionally for a Sunday family dinner. These folks are USED to being strangers in a new place and go out of their way to help their neighbors out.

Old 12-19-2014, 02:22 PM

6,550 posts, read 3,653,233 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brightdoglover View Post
I am not yet retired but I have a cleaning team of four Brazilians who come in once a month for an hour and they sandblast my small house, and do it with a smile. By the way, I have six dogs, so the floor always needs a good cleaning.
So, once a month is enough? That is encouraging. I ''tidy up'' but still need some general cleaning.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement